OC & Modding The Windows 7 Experience Index thread

surajspai said:
does ram speed really affect the WEI?i have almost the same config as manju2manju,but 4gb DDR2 ram 1000mhz rated,running at 800?
RAM WEI Scores depend on the version of windows you are using. With 32Bit Windows 7, you will get a good score with just 4GB of good RAM. For 64 Bit windows You will need at 12GB or higher quantity of CL8 or better RAM running at 1600MHz or higher to score 7.9. So yes, Version of Windows, RAM speed, timings and quantity all matter in the score.

Yeah, you guy's may be wondering how rite got good scores while people who had better hardware (as per WEI) did not. It does not come from tweaking the hardware, but the scores itself.

1. Go to C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore folder on your machine and you will find some XML files there. Open the one with the latest time stamp.

2. Update the file with the scores that you want. Don't bother with the DiskScore because no one would even believe a screen shot if you put anything more than 6.0 without an SSD.

<WinSPR>

<SystemScore>7.8</SystemScore>

<MemoryScore>7.9</MemoryScore>

<CpuScore>7.9</CpuScore>

<CPUSubAggScore>7.9</CPUSubAggScore>

<VideoEncodeScore>7.9</VideoEncodeScore>

<GraphicScore>7.9</GraphicScore>

<GamingScore>7.9</GamingScore>

<DiskScore>5.9</DiskScore>

</WinSPR>

3. Now save the file and go the My Computer properties. Voila, Windows 7 shows the scores that you edited. Take a screenshot and post.

@LordNemesis

Stop being jealous dude.

I didn't even know about that.

If you want, you can come over to my place and watch it in action.

We can bet 1 L liquid cash on who is right.

AND DON"T DARE OPEN YOUR MOUTH UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO PUT 1 L ON THE TABLE.

If it is too big an amount for you, too bad.

You can fly over to Delhi and watch it in action and see yourself lose 1 L.

I REPEAT

I HAVEN"T DONE ANYTHING TO MY HARDWARE, WITH 4.3 OC and STOCK RAM BUT AT 1T I GET THESE SCORES!!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And at jealous and whiny Nemesis, your mobo score can increase or decrease your RAM and CPU scores by 1-2 points easily.

And whether you like it or not, Gigabyte UD4 B3 is one of the fastest mobos around, and as far as performance is concerned, I have seen benchies where it trumps the UD7 too. The only motherboard that comes close is the highest model Asus has, and that too need not win each time.

Whether you find it strange or not, this is what benchies tell.

If you want me to search the benchies for you, I need 25k advance payment to do that work. But rest assured, those benchies exist online and I have seen them and that is why I am happy with my purchase. :)

I am sorry for being rude with you LN, but I really haven't neither tweaked my PC nor knew about that trick. I just ran and it came as it is. Of course, it is OCed to 4.3 and at 1.360V and my copy was nearly a fresh install too. But that is about it.

raksrules said:
On a side note, are people here deciding what to buy next (just for the heck of it) to increase this irrelevant score :|
The scores do give an indication of how balanced your system is. My scores, for example, tell me that my CPU/RAM are behind the other components in my system.

Of course, blindly following the scores is pointless. My system would benefit more from a second GPU (even if my current score is 7.9) than from a CPU upgrade (current score 6.4).

@rite

LOL... That just shows you level of arrogance not to mention ignorance. :rofl:I suggest that you read up on forums if you want to understand how WEI works. There are only two ways to get such scores on your hardware. Either by editing or because of a Fluke. Yes the test is far from perfect even in terms of programming and some people have got fluke CPU scores higher than others with the same exact setup. But in any case, that is limited to the CPU scores. That is the main reason why I suspected that you may have edited the score in some manner given the fact that you have always been an attention whore and so I came across the procedure while searching. I am sorry If you haven't edited the scores, but then it will only mean your scores are fluke.

And yeah, a motherboard can only decrease the WEI scores lower than what they should be (In case of hardware or driver issues). It can never increase them. So get over it. You are not my secretary that I would pay you to search stuff for me.

Here is how MS designed the WEI.

To get 7.9 on CPU, you will need a true hex or octa core, With quad you can go up to 7.8 with overclocks above 4.7GHz.

To get 7.9 on RAM on 64Bit windows, you will need above 12GB RAM with speeds equal or above 1600MHz. 8GB RAM only ensures you scores of 7.0+. You can however score better on 32 Bit Windows with lesser RAM.

To get 7.9 on gaming graphics, you will need High end DX11 compatible Multi GPU or ultra high end GPU.

To get 7.9 on Aero is not difficult. Most people score 7.6+

To get 7.9 on SSD is not possible as far as I know. It would require the fastest SSD's probably in RAID. The Main stream SSD's will only take you to 7.8 max.

The logic here is simple. If you have comparable hardware and you score less, there is something wrong some where. If you are getting higher scores than usual, it is a fluke provided you haven't modified the scores your self. There is no rocket science to understand here.

Most people who posted in the thread got scores that are in line with their hardware and overclocks except one guy who got less. The other exception is you who has been posting scores that don't correspond to the hardware. You don't need to prove any thing to me or anyone else, the score does not correspond the hardware in question and hence a fluke. It is the same as someone posting a 20k 3DMark11 score for an 8600GT. It doesn't compute. :no:

But I have tried it 2 or 3 times and got 7.8 each time.

Once I had put it on 4.1 GHz and got 7.7. But when I raised it to 4.3, it became 7.8.

And I don't think that MS has set any specific speed standards for the score, a Core i7 SB at 4 GHz will score much higher than a C2Q at 4+ Ghz.

As far as m happy with my computing, WEI sucks imo.
It just does no good rather create tensions in our minds that in what system have we invested our dear money..

But I have tried it 2 or 3 times and got 7.8 each time.

Once I had put it on 4.1 GHz and got 7.7. But when I raised it to 4.3, it became 7.8.

And I don't think that MS has set any specific speed standards for the score, a Core i7 SB at 4 GHz will score much higher than a C2Q at 4+ Ghz.

Whats the OS....? PLease provide the build number if possible...? x86 or x64?

....Please this is just to for my information as my 2600K @5Ghz gives 7.8...where as your is giving 7.9 at 4.3Ghz...

Just trying to figure out if any tweaks i need or have kept something off the windows needs....something just doesn't seem right.

I get 7.8 at 4.3.

And 7.7 at 4.1.

And mine is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

and even at stock i guess it is close to 7.7 or so or at least 7.6

at stock you can not get 7.7.

its not possible.

i feel you have done registry tweaks to get all scores to max.

their was tweak when vista came out,

it enabled aero even for old gfx thanks to intel 915 saga,

simple registry tweak and you get max score and aero enabled.

i agree with lord nemesis.

why dont you re run the assessment and post screen shot?

same kind of stuff happened with me .. my RAM used to give 7.8 but after a few weeks i got 5.9 only .. I formatted windows and then I got back on 7.8 and later to 7.9 when i clocked my RAM on CL8

pratikb said:
at stock you can not get 7.7.
its not possible.
@ stock clock 7.7 is possible with i7 2600k. below is the screenshot for your reference. I don't have after market cooler for cpu, hence using it on stock HSF assembly.

Have you ever tried taking a challenge worth your salt and winning???

And the mobo matters a lot. And also a new format. If you take a H67 mobo, what else do you expect? Also, non k is slower, expect a 0.1 difference.

And I only said 7.6 or so with one of the fastest mobos out there(according to benchies, even UD7 doesn't come close in real world performance)

Back