The Windows Phone 7 thread

The new generation Windows phones are supposed to be officially launched in India. The models that were launched include Omnia W, HTC Titan, Radar. They should theoretically be on display in some shops at least.

^^ The second gen windows phones were officially launched in october(htc radar, samsung omnia w, acer allegro but no htc titan) and they will be available in few days, HTC Radar is already available on flipkart and letsbuy but as always the retail presence will be low and you may not see many display pieces in shops.

Nokia are having a demo application which runs on symbian OS to show how the Nokia 800 phones work, you can always use that to get the feel of it.

I am facing a problem with my Focus. It does not allow me to enable 3G data after charging it with AC charger. I need to restart (soft-reset) the phone to be able to enable 3G data. Anybody facing this issue? I have recently added 8 GB MicroSD card to it. I don't think it is the issue because data remains after soft-reset.

^^ I have already done that as that is a essential step :) I am able to see total of 16 GB of space due to that.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Can anybody suggest a good English-English offline dictionary app? I am currently trying Dictionary (by Flow Simulation Ltd.) and Word Explorer Dictionary(Foundation42 LLC). Second one is just okay according to me (main issue is the UI is not responsive enough). Anything else?

^^

Focus currently does not allow tethering. But might get support for it in future update from AT&T. HTC HD7/Mozart do have support for tethering.

Cheapest WP7 phone will be Samsung Omnia W when launched (it was just announced but not actually launched last month). Should be available for around 18-19K. Radar is currently available for 22.5K right now.

^^ USB tethering is supported, but WiFi is not. This feature of USB tethering is unique to Focus/Omnia 7. Other WP7 devices don't support it out of the box.

I don't think so. When you start USB tethering it downloads drivers for itself. So if MS has provided drivers for Mac OS (which is highly unlikely) it will work.

harish_21_10 said:
Guys, does Samsung Focus or any other WP7 phone allow tethering?

Also, which is the cheapest WP7 phone available in India?

Samsung focus has USB tethering function, it also supports wifi hotspot but you have to Dev. unlock your phone to enable this.

how to see if my focus is dev unlocked or carrier unlocked....? and how can i enable the usb and wifi tethering option on my at&t focus....? can anyone give the steps or the link for both...

sandeepk said:
^^
Focus currently does not allow tethering. But might get support for it in future update from AT&T. HTC HD7/Mozart do have support for tethering.
Cheapest WP7 phone will be Samsung Omnia W when launched (it was just announced but not actually launched last month). Should be available for around 18-19K. Radar is currently available for 22.5K right now.

nokia lumia 710 will be cheaper than omnia w... not by much but it will be cheaper

satishinti said:
how to see if my focus is dev unlocked or carrier unlocked....? and how can i enable the usb and wifi tethering option on my at&t focus....? can anyone give the steps or the link for both...

Those are basically 2 totally different things.
Carrier unlocked means you should be able to use non-AT&T SIM in your Focus (which I assume you are already doing as you are in India). Just to confirm that you are carrier unlocked you can use *#7465625# diagnostic code to see lock status by click first button which says 'Network Locks'. All should be disabled.
Where as dev unlock means you are allowed to install apps without using Marketplace. For that you can use ChevronWP7 which has 9$ one time fee. Or you can purchase developer license from MS which costs $99/yr.

can someone help on transferring the contacts?

I saved the file as cbf from old phone to PC. I can convert the file to text, CSV or CBF. How do I continue to put these contact to WP?

Back