The Windows Phone 7 thread

I own a Nokia Lumia 800 for almost two weeks now, and i was worried about my battery too. My phones' battery did not have any issues at all. I got an update the night before yesterday to update my phone. I did what was required and my battery definitely seems to be last longer, and i noticed the Wifi connectivity has improved too. check this link out http://bit.ly/AeoTyi for a step by step, or use the video help guide http://bit.ly/wcsILB.

Details about the update are available at http://conversations...okia-lumia-800/

Those who have not used following India-specific apps, try them...they are good

BookMyShow

Flipkart (Only available if your Live account is Indian)

Snapdeal (Same as above)

Moneycontrol

Economic Times

^^ Yup, nice to see loads of india specific apps launches in the last 2 weeks, its the nokia effect
<

Also check out:

NDTV, even supports live channel streaming.

Times of India.

IBNlive

Indian rail.

All flights-skyscanner, its a global app but still the best app for checking air fares.

All apps look better on WP7, however none of them work as fast as the rest of the OS (most of the time)
<

I have a US-based LIVE ID. Any idea on how I could get the Flipkart app? My phone is an unlocked HD7.

I'm on a samsung omnia w in bhopal. I have Airtel which uses the idea network for 3g.

The problem I am facing is that the phone shows the roaming symbol, and refuses to make a data connection most of the time. Usually a restart brings it back to normal, only for the same to happen in the next 5-10 minutes.

Frustrating
<

I'm on a samsung omnia w in bhopal. I have Airtel which uses the idea network for 3g.

The problem I am facing is that the phone shows the roaming symbol, and refuses to make a data connection most of the time. Usually a restart brings it back to normal, only for the same to happen in the next 5-10 minutes.

Frustrating
<

Go to settings=>Cellular=>Data roaming options=> change this to "roam".

It's already on roam
<

It still wont make the connection. And it shouldnot be on roaming anyhow since I'm at my home location.

Well then wait for some firmware update from samsung, the omnia W has lots of connection issues and that is the reason i am advising everyone to avoid it and go for Lumia 710.

Frustrating
<

take it to the service centre,there is some update for the phone and then tell us what happens

the data issues i have faced on my focus as well but it's not all the time, happens towards the end of month for some weird reason.

I also discovered that when the signal is weak or you lose signal, the data connection doesn't get back on, even though you have the E on the status bar!

Seems like a firmware issue with samsung devices as I do not hear this issue happening with anyother phone

I'll check up with the service center next week for sure. As far as recommendations go, I'm telling everyone to take a dip after the next major update is out.

Planning to buy a Samsung Omnia W. Can some one answer the below

1) How is the phone overall?

2) Any known issues i should be aware of?

3) How is the battery life?

4) Call quality ?

5) Does one need to have a live account only wouldn i be able to use gmail?

#RS4

#_pappu_

4) Call quality ?

#RS4

#_pappu_

#Metalspree

I lie in the same situation, just today I happen to try a Samsung Omnia W at local store here in Pune. I am already using Lumia 710, going by that and my hands on Omnia W

1. The phone is better than Lumia 710, Super AMOLED display by Samsung on Metro UI is mind blowing. The front face camera is a Plus

2. Apparently Omnia is having connectivity issues, but no idea how long will it take to resolve the issue. Let people comment more on it.

3. Online reviews claim 14hours on 2G and 6hours on 3G, but when I took the phone in my hand the battery was about 5%. I managed to mendle with the for almost 30-40 min which included browsing via Wifi, testing touch interface, Camera and Video Capturing and playback too. Omnia claims to have 7 hours of Video Playback and 6 hours of browsing. So I guess Omnia has faired very well in Battery department.

4. I managed to Tango(App for Free Video Conferencing and Calling over the Internet) Call with my friend who accompanied me. I did find a mild difference in Audio Quality, but Omnia is better in Audio and Call Quality.

5. Yes, you need a live account to be able to use Gmail. There are hacks and tweeks for it.

I did the whole HomeWork because my cousin needed a Phone. I thought I would give him my phone and pick up Omnia. But apparently the prices are on the higher side in Pune. I would be ordering one from Flipkart soon which is available for 15.2K.

4) Call quality ?

#RS4

#_pappu_

Overall this phone is one of the best WP7 devices under 25k, but some owners are reporting connection issues which is not the case with Nokia Lumia 710 and hence Lumia 710 is a safer choice but overall Samung Omnia W has an edge due to better build quality and much better screen.

You need a live id to sign into the phone, marketplace access, free 25GB skydrive and xbox live integration. Other than that you can use any email id with the email client like gmail,yahoo etc. So, yes you must have a live id to use a windows phone.

Back