The Windows Phone 7 thread

I Interop unlocked my Focus via window break project and made a simple custom tiles background theme.

If anyone else did this please share your theme files so that i can import them.

TIA

0PkVv.jpg

Samsung Omnia W owners

Update now available through Zune.
<

Fixes the sms problem when using 3G+/HSPA

FirmWare Revision no : 2424.12.01.1

Bootloader version : 6.1.2.0

Quick query -> Lumia 710 or Omnia W ?

My primary need (outside of calls/sms) is good gps & navigation performance.

I am not too enthusiastic, so I will not jailbreak a phone to sideload apps.

Also I need a display thats easy to read in sunlight.

Quick query -> Lumia 710 or Omnia W ?

My primary need (outside of calls/sms) is good gps & navigation performance.

I am not too enthusiastic, so I will not jailbreak a phone to sideload apps.

Also I need a display thats easy to read in sunlight.

Nokia Drive has offline navigation too.. very accurate !!

Guys can anyone suggest an application the records sound in mp3 or wma format which takes minimum amount of space instead of the wav format for windows mobile. Thanks.

Hey all,

I’m thinking of switching from my Galaxy SII to a Windows Phone 7 based phone.

As of now, the switch is temporary till SIII comes out but maybe who knows if I like it, I might just stick to WP7 after all.

I’ve a couple of queries that you guys could look into it ..

Major usage of my phone is in Emailing, Messaging, VOIP, Calls, Navigation, Music, Browsing and News reading.

I’m dependant on the following apps on the Android :

Swype

Google Reader

Gmail

Google Docs

Google Maps

Google Talk

YouTube

Any.do (Task management Application)

Dropbox

Polaris Office (Full fledged document editor)

IMO (Multi-messenger)

Teamviewer

My Data Manager (App to keep a track on bandwidth consumption)

and some less frequently used :

Saavn

Zedge

SoundHound

Facebook

So given the above usage pattern and apps that I’m on dependant on, do you think I could switch to WP7 painlessly ? Are there any alternatives available for my apps ? (Swype or something similar is a must)

Couple of more queries..

Also, I’m thinking of getting the Samsung Focus so if I get an unclocked device would there be a possible scare of getting it locked again once I update the firmware (either officially or custom) ?

How is the battery life on the Focus ?

I am not much aware of Sideloading/Jailbreaking of a WP7 device and the Custom ROM scene , is it similar to Android ?

Can I debrand Focus or should I consider Omnia 7 instead ? (I’d prefer Focus as its thinner than Omnia)

What is the best ROM out there and when updating to a newer ROM does it wipes all the data ?

Is there any lag in the phone ? (like how some Android phones lag)

Is multi-tasking experience (Apps in the background) similar to Android ?

Does Indian marketplace has any restrictions ?

are there any other limitations worth mentioning on WP7 / Samsung Focus?

and what about the plus side of WP7 when comparing to iOS and Android ?

Thanks

Recently bought a Focus. Thank goodness its rooted, runs the 'Clean Rom'. I love the fact that you can connect the phone to PC via usb cable and use the PC's internet conection on the phone. Loved this feature on windows 7. Is it because it is a rooted phone or is this a standard feature?

Guys I am planning to Buy Lumia 800. But my main question is , does the market place has good number of apps now. I've already had a bad experience with Bada so I want to make sure. Things I am looking for:

1) Does the market place get all or most of the famous and top selling/downloaded apps for Android or on the marketplace ?

2) Are there good number of free apps available?

3) Good office document editor (pref. free) and PDF reader softwares?

4) Is the development support for market place going strong or will android be a better option?

5) I do hope SMSes are threaded and not different folders for Inbox and sent items? What is the limit for storing smses?

6) When windows 8 for mobile gets released, will Lumia 800 get it or not?I mean do you see it getting it or not?

7) Is there good task manager for WP 7?

Guys I am planning to Buy Lumia 800. But my main question is , does the market place has good number of apps now. I've already had a bad experience with Bada so I want to make sure. Things I am looking for:

1) Does the market place get all or most of the famous and top selling/downloaded apps for Android or on the marketplace ?

2) Are there good number of free apps available?

3) Good office document editor (pref. free) and PDF reader softwares?

4) Is the development support for market place going strong or will android be a better option?

5) I do hope SMSes are threaded and not different folders for Inbox and sent items? What is the limit for storing smses?

6) When windows 8 for mobile gets released, will Lumia 800 get it or not?I mean do you see it getting it or not?

7) Is there good task manager for WP 7?

1) not as much as andoid

2) at present 80,000 apps are available

3) i dont know

android is better looking at the current scenario

5) yes, sms are threaded and messaging is quite easy

6) most probably , yes

7) no, Wp7 has inbuilt multi tasking that enables u to use 5 tasks simultaneously.

Recently bought a Focus. Thank goodness its rooted, runs the 'Clean Rom'. I love the fact that you can connect the phone to PC via usb cable and use the PC's internet conection on the phone. Loved this feature on windows 7. Is it because it is a rooted phone or is this a standard feature?

It's a standard feature of Windows Phone 7.

Hey all,

I’m thinking of switching from my Galaxy SII to a Windows Phone 7 based phone.

As of now, the switch is temporary till SIII comes out but maybe who knows if I like it, I might just stick to WP7 after all.

I’ve a couple of queries that you guys could look into it ..

Major usage of my phone is in Emailing, Messaging, VOIP, Calls, Navigation, Music, Browsing and News reading.

I’m dependant on the following apps on the Android :

Swype ---> No

Google Reader --> 3rd party apps

Gmail --> Yes

Google Docs --> Yes

Google Maps --> Yes

Google Talk --> 3rd party apps

YouTube --> Yes

Any.do (Task management Application) --> Task Management not required/ Not present

Dropbox --> 3rd party apps

Polaris Office (Full fledged document editor) --> MS Office 2010 mobile

IMO (Multi-messenger) --> 3rd party apps

Skype --> Beta

Teamviewer --> No

My Data Manager (App to keep a track on bandwidth consumption)

and some less frequently used :

Saavn --> Not sure

Zedge --> No

SoundHound --> Yes

Facebook --> Yes

So given the above usage pattern and apps that I’m on dependant on, do you think I could switch to WP7 painlessly ? Are there any alternatives available for my apps ? (Swype or something similar is a must)

Probably not. WP 7 is very very good at all the basic tasks one might do, but sorely lacks all the newer apps released in the market.

Couple of more queries..

Also, I’m thinking of getting the Samsung Focus so if I get an unclocked device would there be a possible scare of getting it locked again once I update the firmware (either officially or custom) ?

How is the battery life on the Focus ?

I am not much aware of Sideloading/Jailbreaking of a WP7 device and the Custom ROM scene , is it similar to Android ?

Can I debrand Focus or should I consider Omnia 7 instead ? (I’d prefer Focus as its thinner than Omnia)

What is the best ROM out there and when updating to a newer ROM does it wipes all the data ?

Is there any lag in the phone ? (like how some Android phones lag)

Is multi-tasking experience (Apps in the background) similar to Android ?

Does Indian marketplace has any restrictions ?

are there any other limitations worth mentioning on WP7 / Samsung Focus?
and what about the plus side of WP7 when comparing to iOS and Android ?

Super smooth butter-like experience even when phone is filled to maximum capacity with data. Very fluid UI and quite intuitive. Sideloading not possible unless you hack it. Battery easily lasts 1-2 days with Edge sync on and even longer without it. Focus has a brilliant screen and slightly larger in size; though no front facing camera. Multi-tasking is extremely good with all inbuilt apps but flaky with most 3rd party apps. Indian Marketplace doesn't have some apps but people can correct me if I am wrong here. The main disadvantage is the lack of WP 7 versions of the most popular apps in Android or iOS.

Thanks

1) Does the market place get all or most of the famous and top selling/downloaded apps for Android or on the marketplace ? --> No

2) Are there good number of free apps available? --> Yes

3) Good office document editor (pref. free) and PDF reader softwares? --> Yes; Windows Office 2010 inbuilt and Adobe Reader.

4) Is the development support for market place going strong or will android be a better option? --> Yes; it is growing day by day but developers still seem to build for Android/iOS first. But this might change if 2-3 good handsets are released in the market and developers become more interested in WP 7 as a platform. But as of now, even the paid app versions in WP are much more expensive than their counterparts in iOS and Android.

5) I do hope SMSes are threaded and not different folders for Inbox and sent items? What is the limit for storing smses? --> Yes they are threaded and no limit as far as I know. The best feature is the integration of Facebook chats and SMS in the same thread. Suppose I am chatting with a person on FB and he goes offline. I can easily continue the discussion with him over SMS in the same window. It's much more useful than you think.

6) When windows 8 for mobile gets released, will Lumia 800 get it or not?I mean do you see it getting it or not? --> Most probably no; till now MS is not committing to this at all.

7) Is there good task manager for WP 7? --> Task manager not present and not even required since the phone will never, ever get slow or sluggish; no matter what you do. Some 3rd party apps might be unresponsive but the phone as a whole will never bother you.

Umm....I'm a big swype fan ...It's lack is a major -ve unless they have better alternative.

I mean i will still have to tap 5 times to Say "Hello", ..if you count out the auto suggest.

Back