The Windows Phone 7 thread

any one who ows a lumia 800 ??

want to know about the audio output of this marvel .. I am quite dissapointed by what gsmarena and others have stated
sign42.gif

I am aware of this, but was asking coz I might buy my friends Samsung Focus S. Which is gonna be coming from US and AT&T locked. Anyways did some google search and found some answers.

Now I need some advice on what phone to get.

1.Samsung Focus S for around 14k, locked and no warranty. OR

2.Samsung Omnia W for 9k, with 10months warranty

I am not very particular about the warranty here but then you never know when it might come in handy. Where as Samsung Focus S specs sheet is pretty impressive, issue being I will have to wait longer to get this one
tongu23e.gif

Also, I need a confirmation about the Nokia Drive in Nokia Lumia 710. Does it work offline without any GPRS,3G,Wi-fi? Whats the funda?

AFAIK with the help of nokia drive u can download a map of a particular area and then u can use it for navigation even when u are offline.

I am aware of this, but was asking coz I might buy my friends Samsung Focus S. Which is gonna be coming from US and AT&T locked. Anyways did some google search and found some answers.

Now I need some advice on what phone to get.

1.Samsung Focus S for around 14k, locked and no warranty. OR

2.Samsung Omnia W for 9k, with 10months warranty

I am not very particular about the warranty here but then you never know when it might come in handy. Where as Samsung Focus S specs sheet is pretty impressive, issue being I will have to wait longer to get this one
tongu23e.gif

Also, I need a confirmation about the Nokia Drive in Nokia Lumia 710. Does it work offline without any GPRS,3G,Wi-fi? Whats the funda?

Focus S, if you are a big screen fan. Else gadgets & warranty are the way to go anyday.

Also, yes nokia drive is available offline, only after you download the mighty heavy maps, that is. And yes it downloads only through cellphones data connection. :X

Focus S, if you are a big screen fan. Else gadgets & warranty are the way to go anyday.

Also, yes nokia drive is available offline, only after you download the mighty heavy maps, that is. And yes it downloads only through cellphones data connection. :X

not a huge task when ur on WiFi. offline navigation has helped me a lot.
<

Came across this: Nokia Maps Blog and there it says that Wifi can be used.

not a huge task when ur on WiFi. offline navigation has helped me a lot.
happy19.gif

-Does it allow finding directions and selecting routes offline as well?

-We have to download the map by selecting a city or can do it by selecting some area on the map?

-Generally how much space does it take to store a city map offline? An estimate...

Came across this: Nokia Maps Blog and there it says that Wifi can be used.

-Yes, and it is quite accurate. . I use it every now n then coz I travel a lot.

-We have to download the map by selecting a city or can do it by selecting some area on the map?

-You can download maps according to states. eg : If you want for Rajasthan, Delhi etc. You can download for "India" which will include all states of course.

-Generally how much space does it take to store a city map offline? An estimate...

-375 mb if you download the complete India package. use WiFi and you're done.
happy19.gif

-Yes, and it is quite accurate. . I use it every now n then coz I travel a lot.

-You can download maps according to states. eg : If you want for Rajasthan, Delhi etc. You can download for "India" which will include all states of course.

-375 mb if you download the complete India package. use WiFi and you're done.
happy19.gif

Thanks mate.

Is there a solution to this:

I bought omnia w yesterday. Is there a way to prevent wifi from disconnecting every time i lock my screen?

I did try and find out about it but looks like theres no setting to change this, which is just insane. Such a big negative for Windows Phone.

So while commuting back from work, we tried the Nokia Drive and it worked beautifully.
<

Mind you no maps were downloaded by my friend and yet it did load properly and we were able to set our destination to work out a route. Voice was disabled and we were asked to download it so it could give us the commands during turns.

no official news yet ! m keeping the fingers crossed.

please read the updated post first. i have corrected my first post and posted a new one saying that the Widows Dev has said Apollo update would be made available to WP7 phone, Official word is awaited though, but its almost a close catch right?

So while commuting back from work, we tried the Nokia Drive and it worked beautifully.
happy55.gif

Mind you no maps were downloaded by my friend and yet it did load properly and we were able to set our destination to work out a route. Voice was disabled and we were asked to download it so it could give us the commands during turns.

The Offline maps are beautiful. I have re-located to Bangalore now. I have no clues about my Clients place. I just enable the GPS to desired destination and I travel. The Voice based Guidance is also precise but sometimes when you are travelling on bike, A long stretch of a road (say about 5-8KM) then it is annoying to wait for the commands. But the Nokia Drive is really cool. Very happy with it, because I can be independent in the new place, never bothered to ask any lamers on streets about routes. I guess Nokia is coming up with something like real-time traffic updations in all the Metros soon.

happy55.gif

I was just checking out Nokia Maps to see how good it was. It sure is pretty decent and will be very good if it provides searching and getting directions offline. But I had one doubt about the map, does it allow dragging of the route to get an alternate without having to add a waypoint? Just like in Google maps, where you can just clik and drag the route as per ur requirements.

I was just checking out Nokia Maps to see how good it was. It sure is pretty decent and will be very good if it provides searching and getting directions offline. But I had one doubt about the map, does it allow dragging of the route to get an alternate without having to add a waypoint? Just like in Google maps, where you can just clik and drag the route as per ur requirements.

Nope, IMO I guess you cannot change your alternate course of route. But when you enter the road of your desire, the route is recalculated and re-routed.

Folks who have used the Nokia (Ovi) Maps on Symbian and Nokia Drive, can you tell if there is much difference between the two? I just don't want to get my hopes high about Nokia Drive. For the record I have been using Nokia Maps for 2 years now and absolutely love them. Is there something extra in Nokia Drive?

Back