The Windows Phone 7 thread

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
^create a Gmail account & back up all contacts. OR back up them somewhere. Now delete the contacts which you don't want to transfer & load them to Gmail > Windows.

harish_21_10

Adept
Nov 25, 2006
^create a Gmail account & back up all contacts. OR back up them somewhere. Now delete the contacts which you don't want to transfer & load them to Gmail > Windows.

So basically the only option is to keep the contacts synced between Gmail and the phone all the time.

Faraz

Skilled
Sep 18, 2009
Bhopal
you can't. even after the update for FB app, i doubt u will be able to do that. use browser instead with the desktop version. IE is awesome.

How can they miss such a simple feature
indifferent14.gif

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
How do i search for someone in fb for windows app?

Open the app, swipe left/right to friends (under Favourites). Tap the search icon on the bottom of the screen, swipe right to 'everyone' and search for the persons name.

Simple as that. Although I'm not quite sure why they added that in the friends section, but its there atleast.

Faraz

Skilled
Sep 18, 2009
Bhopal
Open the app, swipe left/right to friends (under Favourites). Tap the search icon on the bottom of the screen, swipe right to 'everyone' and search for the persons name.

Simple as that. Although I'm not quite sure why they added that in the friends section, but its there atleast.

Thanks
<

djmykey

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
Can't one sync contacts to WMP7 from Outlook ???

My Focus is the secondary phone and so I really dont sync my contacts to it.

soggy316

Adept
Jul 1, 2007
I synced my contacts as follows

export contacts as csv (or to vcf and then use outlook for vcf to csv) then create a live ID exclusively for your contacts, and upload the csv there, then sync.

This way your primary mail account (gmail/yahoo etc) is untouched and you get only your phone contacts.

harish_21_10

Adept
Nov 25, 2006
I synced my contacts as follows

export contacts as csv (or to vcf and then use outlook for vcf to csv) then create a live ID exclusively for your contacts, and upload the csv there, then sync.

This way your primary mail account (gmail/yahoo etc) is untouched and you get only your phone contacts.

I have been trying to upload the file since yesterday, but it keeps saying try again...

Jasku

Skilled
Apr 27, 2008
So basically the only option is to keep the contacts synced between Gmail and the phone all the time.

Yes, create a new gmail account just for your contacts, you have cross platform solution to contacts back up

Can't one sync contacts to WMP7 from Outlook ???

My Focus is the secondary phone and so I really dont sync my contacts to it.

Its possible sire, I synced my dads outlook calendar using the WIndows Live id. Please make sure you have only 1 Live Id.

soggy316

Adept
Jul 1, 2007
I have been trying to upload the file since yesterday, but it keeps saying try again...

If you directly exported the csv from the phone, maybe there would be a formatting error. Export your contacts to vcf from phone and then import the vcf into outlook contacts, then export those outlook contacts to a csv file with only required fields.

harish_21_10

Adept
Nov 25, 2006
If you directly exported the csv from the phone, maybe there would be a formatting error. Export your contacts to vcf from phone and then import the vcf into outlook contacts, then export those outlook contacts to a csv file with only required fields.

I synced the contacts with Mac Address Book via Blackberry Desktop Software. Then exported them to vcf file-converted to csv by Gmail but still dint work. Where as all the files are getting imported in Gmail contacts without any hassel.

Jasku

Skilled
Apr 27, 2008
I synced the contacts with Mac Address Book via Blackberry Desktop Software. Then exported them to vcf file-converted to csv by Gmail but still dint work. Where as all the files are getting imported in Gmail contacts without any hassel.

Did you go into the people menu and select the 'Contacts' option?

soggy316

Adept
Jul 1, 2007
^ah, so if possible, get the vcf to a windows machine with outlook/outlook express, import and then export to csv, its a little long winded but it is almost certain to work.