The Windows Phone 7 thread

aradhakr84 said:
^^^ True for the price and the usage you get out of it makes it a good buy and lets you overlook small imperfections.

Do you think Mango Update has the following:

1) Ability to add custom ringtones?

2) Also option to add wallpaper to the main screen instead of choosing only black or white background?

1) Yes, but there are quite a few conditions -

- It should be 39 sec or shorter

- smaller than 1MB

- MP3/WMA

- GENRE should be RINGTONE

2) No

Renegade said:
After struggling with the phone for 4+ hours I cannot begin to list down its demerits. The hardware is top notch and so is the GUI but the basics are missing. Anyone who is used to Android or iOS should stay miles away from this OS. I feel it can only be enjoyed by someone who has upgraded from Nokia 2112 kinda device.

Exchange support - pathetic (does not work)

Market access - not available in India

Bluetooth file transfer - not available

Mounting via USB to tranfer files - not available

WiFi tethering - not available

Applications - Well you know they are not there so not much surprise there

I am sure I will get to know more as I keep using it.

Don't get me wrong. I will try my best to eck out with the demerits too because I party knew what I was getting into but right now I cannot put down my HTC Legend for good.

Exchange - I have 2 different work accounts. 1 sync'ed in an instant - just provided id/password. Second failed due to some cetificate error.

Market acccess available when you set country as USA as you know already

All the rest - yep, your right.

I am gonna post my impressions of WP7 in a few days..hope that will help others who wanna try it :)

Yup, that's the main problem at the moment.

UI is personal taste, but the tiles and scrolling can start to drive you nuts after a while when your apps and shortcuts start to increase.

And coming from android, it feels more like a feature phone than fully loaded power user smartphone in its current state.

Platform has potential, but long long way to go uet.

The reason I am tolerating focus is because of the price I paid for it, screen and the fact that its my second phone,and not the primary.

I wouldn't want WP7 as primary smartphone for now.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk Pro.

I dont have any issues with exchange sync(just username and password given)... of-course it has the best email client i've used so far and Its clearly better than android. Also market place is accesible for me, i dont think i've set my region to US :)

RVK2488 said:
Second failed due to some cetificate error.

Precisely, that account of yours would work flawlessly on Android and iPhone but not on the OS which was made by the same guys who made outlook. Ironical.

RVK2488 said:
I am gonna post my impressions of WP7 in a few days..hope that will help others who wanna try it :)

Well to be honest this is the main reason I bought this phone, to post about the OS and applications. Will be doing it on usermobility though.

Renegade said:
Precisely, that account of yours would work flawlessly on Android and iPhone but not on the OS which was made by the same guys who made outlook. Ironical.

Just checked with colleagues, its not working with android too. On android it says invalid username/password :S WTF?

Renegade said:
Well to be honest this is the main reason I bought this phone, to post about the OS and applications. Will be doing it on usermobility though.

Looking forward to that :)

Got USB tethering working on my Focus. Now I don't need to carry the Android phone around with me. :yahoo:

Next item on the wishlist is WiFi tethering.

@Renegade:

Do you get USB tethering with Mango update? Because my Dad has an HTC HD7 and would like to know if this is possible on NoDo. Despite using HD7 for a month, I am still an Windows noob :(

Nope I am using this on NoDo. It is pretty straightforward for Samsung devices -> Setting up USB tethering on Windows Phone 7 | UserMobility

Unfortunately for HTC you will have to install a XAP file which requires root. Moreover you cannot do this on Mango yet as XAP files do not run on it. -> HTC WP7 USB Internet Tethering - DFRouter - xda-developers

Dont know if Mango brings this update or not. Maybe RVK can answer that. I wont be upgrading to Mango till I can run third party apps on that.

:(

Guys

need quick help here,

What is scene of voip on wp7?

I am having one Samsung focus box packed and brand new on AT&T in my eBay won items.

I won it for 202 for phone.

10 for shipping and 5 for insurance.

What you say worth deal?

Also what is current state of affairs for voip calls here.

I am betting big on Skype integration as it is bought by Microsoft and fringe is my another favourite app.

Are they available on wp7?

Also any hacks for using it in India?

Like do we have full access for marketplace without hacks?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

aradhakr84 said:
Dang, so buying Samsung would be better to utilize the USB tethering. Anyways thanks "Renegade" and "smnrock" for clarifying my doubts.

There is good news for you. WiFi tethering is there on Mango but it may depend on the carrier to enable it. -> Read this

OK, My Focus is on the way here. Want to update to Mango RTM ASAP. Pointers to do so would be really welcome :) Also need help in choosing Cases and Scratch guard for the device.

WhatsApp might be comming soon for WP7 Mango! :D

Lets face it: there's no real reason why WhatsApp, the super popular proprietary, multii-platform IM system can't come to Windows Phone 7.5 Mango. None. They get their database/contact access, runs in the background, push notifications, fast-app resume--everything they need. And with Microsoft going out of their way to woo developers and services, it's not exactly a stretch to think a WhatsApp client is coming this fall.

So when the official WhatsApp Twitter account tweeted "Did you know that mangoes account for approximately half of all tropical fruits produced worldwide?", it's not hard to read between the lines.

Sure, it could be a coincidence. Perhaps they were feeling irreverent today or their Tweet manager has a thing for mangoes, but c'mon, this was a wink and a nod, especially that BUILD is happening right now.

Source

I am yet to setup Live account with my Samsung Focus. I am finding it confusing after reading so many different sites. :)

So treat me a novice and can anybody provide a definite link or instructions to setup it up, so that I can have marketplace access. Instruction should be for both Phone and PC.

RVK2488 said:
Just make sure that you enter United States as country

Can we download xbox live games trial versions using this trick? also is there any way to get paid apps and games?

RS4 said:
Can we download xbox live games trial versions using this trick? also is there any way to get paid apps and games?

Yes, I have Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Sudoku installed under XBox LIVE and rest of the games are listed under others. Not sure about paid apps but I think if they accept Indian CC, it should be possible. Because you can link your CC to Windows Live account (In Zune - Settings > Account > Summary > Personal Info > Add a credit card)

Back