The Windows Phone 7 thread

Guys shall I go with Clean ROM Tango or Mango ?

Can anyone tell me differences ?

Thank you
<

So I finally got a Samsung Focus to try out Windows Mobile Mango and though I am loving the UI etc , getting the contacts synced and working perfectly has become a real PITA since last 2 hours
sad.gif

1) I added my FB account and it synced like all my 700-800 friends onto the phone . Some with phone numbers / some without .

2) Before this I was using an iPhone 4 and had all my contacts synced across iCloud >> Outlook>> iPhone .

Now the first bummer was that there is no easy way out to sync outlook contacts with Windows Mobile with USB like iPhone .

3) Downloaded the Outlook connector and synced it with my Hotmail account . Added the Hotmail/live account to Focus and it started syncing all the contacts to the phone .

* Major Problem.
indifferent14.gif
Its adding all my random / useless Hotmail email contacts as well along with the outlook contacts
mad44.gif
. Cant figure out a way to sync a particular group or category of contacts
Invision18.gif

Also now there are probably some 2-3 copies of same person in my People list . for eg- A friend having full name Shyam Iyer is also there via FB and then there is just Shyam which I had saved in outlook . Too much confusion
sad.gif

* Whatsapp won't show any of my outlook /windows live imported contacts in favourites . I cant see names of any one who is sending msgs on Whatsapp
sad.gif
.Just phone numbers .

This is like really irritating and major screw up by MS with Windows Mobile in my opinion . Just feel like pulling my hair out
sad.gif

Anyone who has got simple step by step solution ?

Guys, I am planning to go for the win7 experience. I have gone through the posts here and figured out the Samsung Focus would be a good bet to begin with.

I guess can get it off ebay for around $100 - I am in US as of now, so that would help. Any pointers or suggestions for any other model to consider are appreciated.

So I finally got a Samsung Focus to try out Windows Mobile Mango and though I am loving the UI etc , getting the contacts synced and working perfectly has become a real PITA since last 2 hours
sad.gif

1) I added my FB account and it synced like all my 700-800 friends onto the phone . Some with phone numbers / some without .

2) Before this I was using an iPhone 4 and had all my contacts synced across iCloud >> Outlook>> iPhone .

Now the first bummer was that there is no easy way out to sync outlook contacts with Windows Mobile with USB like iPhone .

3) Downloaded the Outlook connector and synced it with my Hotmail account . Added the Hotmail/live account to Focus and it started syncing all the contacts to the phone .

* Major Problem.
indifferent14.gif
Its adding all my random / useless Hotmail email contacts as well along with the outlook contacts
mad44.gif
. Cant figure out a way to sync a particular group or category of contacts
Invision18.gif

Also now there are probably some 2-3 copies of same person in my People list . for eg- A friend having full name Shyam Iyer is also there via FB and then there is just Shyam which I had saved in outlook . Too much confusion
sad.gif

* Whatsapp won't show any of my outlook /windows live imported contacts in favourites . I cant see names of any one who is sending msgs on Whatsapp
sad.gif
.Just phone numbers .

This is like really irritating and major screw up by MS with Windows Mobile in my opinion . Just feel like pulling my hair out
sad.gif

Anyone who has got simple step by step solution ?

This is how i did it:

-> Took a backup from my android in vcf format.

-> Added/Imported them to one of my unused gmail accounts (Had not more than 15 contacts there
<
)

-> Added the account in my WP and in the sync options selected only the contacts.

You can setup multiple accounts. Found this to be easier than the outlook procedure.

+1 An isolated hotmail/gmail account is the simplest way (in the absence of nokia contacts transfer) to get you old phone contacts.

Is there a way to track internet data usage via some app? I bought an Omnia W yest, and was thinking of going for a 3g plan....searched a bit on google but did not find any answers..

Phew finally got the contacts sorted by creating a new Windows Live id .But I believe the Outlook Connector for Windows Live is only a 1 way sync ? The ones in outlook folder get updated to Phone but do the new manually created contacts on phone get updated in Outlook
Invision18.gif
?

Also what's the jailbreak/ahem apps scene like for Windows Mobile ? Read somewhere that its a little complicated . Worth it ? Cause i dont see myself installing a lot of apps any which ways .

What do custom ROMs have to offer ? How easy is it to install them ? Looking for something with better themes , better battery life ? ( stock battery life seems a little low
sad.gif
. ) . Any suggestions for stable customs roms worth trying ?

If I recall correctly, it didn't have anything besides being able to display maps when it first arrtived. Give the dev time, hes slowly adding features and getting everything sorted out.

Is there any way of installing Zune on an XP SP2 system?

I doubt you can install on Windows XP SP2. But I have definately installed on the SP3. It was working and it was about 290MB download version of Zune. Get a SP3 installed/Update on your OS and try. Should definately work.

btw, could someone suggest the best rom other than clean rom for samsung focus. a bit noob question but whats the difference between mango and tango?

Back