The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Discussion Thread

Re: The Witcher 2 - Discussion Thread

Guys post what frame rate you guys are achieving with what game version and what combination of settings.

Tried Witcher 2.

1920x1080 Ultra, 16x AF, 4x AA CCC, Uber off

Avg 35-40, But very jerky and very unsmooth. Unplayable.

1920x1080 High, 0x AF, 0x AA, Uber Off

Avg 40 or so, but still a little jerky and not very smooth, but better nevertheless. Not enjoyable at all.

1440x900 Ultra, AA in game enabled, 0x AF, everything max except Textures at Large, Uber Off.

Avg around 55+- with occasional 70s and 80+.

Very very smooth, perfect, very much playable.

And this is with a Core i7 2600k at 4.3 GHz + 8 GB DDR3 1600 XMS3 + 6970 2gb.

So you can well imagine that the minimum requirements to play the game at minimum settings at HD ready rez will probably be like a Quad Core OR Core i3 with 4 GB RAM and a 512-1024 mb 4830-4870 level card.

2011-06-05 23:23:40 - witcher2

Frames: 3429 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 57.150 - Min: 46 - Max: 73

this is during blowing up a nekker nest with 5 of them around.patch 1.2

settingsx.jpg

One thing I would like to thank CD PROJECKT RED apart from this superb story, the compulsory free DLC's is no DRM shite attached to the game, and Patch 1.1 remedied it fully. I hope Ubisoft is watching this and stops shipping original games with that crippling, maggoty software called UPlay.

Started Witcher 2, combat system is ridiculously difficult. Especially while handling multiple opponents!

IMO

to run this game at low-minimum settings at 14x9 you will need at least a:

C2Q/Core i3

4GB RAM

1 GB 4850-5830 level graphic card depending on the experience you want and depending on very low or low settings

To play at med settings at 16x10 you will probably need:

Core i5 Quad at 3GHz

4-6GB RAM

1+ GB 6870-6950 OR GTX 560 Ti level GPU

To play at 1920x1080 max with Uber off

SB 4+ GHz

8 GB RAM

2+ GB 6950 CF

I run at 14x9 0x AF 0x AA, Ultra, Uber Off, Textures Large and avg around 50-60 FPS most of the time and minimum around 40s usually 45+ during intense combats.

Don't expect a patch, I guess it is just that your cards are showing their age. If you are getting 10 FPS, it may be a patch problem. If you are getting 25 FPS, probably needs a more powerful system.

Try lowering the rez to 14x9 and then check.

im getting 5-10 FPS. No way its my cards, I can max all other games even with 3D on. Thats y i haven't bothered upgrading them yet.

If reducing the settings makes the FPS increase, it is your cards.

And make sure that Uber Sampling is off. Even a 6970 in 2D will give you 15-20 FPS with Ubersamping on full HD.

Also, I am shocked at how CPU intensive this game is.

With 2600k at stock 3.4GHz, I barely got any increase in FPS with my 6970 2GB in going from 1920x1080 Ultra (Uber off, no AA) to 1920x1080 High (Uber off, no AA), barely a 5 increment in FPS.

So I was probably CPU limited. This means that to max this game at Uber Sampling and get 60 FPS we will need a 6990 CF along with a Ivy Bridge Quad or above at 5+ GHz.

soumalidon said:
i am running 2 GTX460 hawk talon cards @950. I just found out that the game has issues with 3D vision.

Poor performance in The Witcher 2

Since i run all my games in 3D I guess I have to wait for nvidia to fix the 3D issue. Hopefully the next driver fixes it.

hey dude, how are you doing? :)

Anyway, you are right. It is the 3D Vision driver which is giving you trouble. If you want to play in stereoscopic 3D only, then you have no option but to wait for CDP to fix it. I dont think it is an issue on Nvidia's side.

nothing makes the FPS increase in my case, even @ lowest res and min settings. 3D vision is bundled with driver, can't remove it separately.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pretttt said:
hey dude, how are you doing? :)

Anyway, you are right. It is the 3D Vision driver which is giving you trouble. If you want to play in stereoscopic 3D only, then you have no option but to wait for CDP to fix it. I dont think it is an issue on Nvidia's side.

hey im doing good :) anyway I stopped trying to get this game to work. No patience and no time. Maybe if they fix the issue I will try it again.

Back