Android Which Phone to get after HTC One???

If the HTC One doesn't satisfy you with it's camera, then no phone in the market will.
Lower resolution is still a bit understandable if you want to see them blown up, but if you are not satisfied even with the low light photos, then you're gonna have to look into a dedicated camera. No phone camera will be sufficient for you.

I would suggest you to rather invest in a good P&S or mirrorless camera.

If you really want a significant improvement over HTC One's camera, the only option is Lumia 1020. Going by the images online (haven't used it personally) it is the only phone I would consider good enough to replace a P&S. Unfortunately 1020 won't give you OTG or expandable storage. Same applies for iPhone and a lot of other flagships. Xperia Z1 looks promising, but let's wait and see.

Ur right Z1 cud change the camera game hopefully, im too counting on it.

If you really want a significant improvement over HTC One's camera, the only option is Lumia 1020. Going by the images online (haven't used it personally) it is the only phone I would consider good enough to replace a P&S. Unfortunately 1020 won't give you OTG or expandable storage. Same applies for iPhone and a lot of other flagships. Xperia Z1 looks promising, but let's wait and see.

Wait for Nexus 5's Oct 31 release?

Nexus i have read have traditionally not really been good with camera in their phones so one should be skeptical. Also the waiting game will never end so i would any day suggest a dedicated PnS to someone who puts camera to paramount importance.
All in one package would be very difficult to get.

1. Good Camera (8 mp or higher) --> Either iphone / Lumia
2. Good Sound Quality ( should be close to HTC one's Boom Sound) --> Nothing matches this IMO
3. HD Display ( 720p / 1080p) Full HD would be preferred.
4. Expandable memory (or atleast support for OTG)
5. Battery Life should last 1 day. (i.e. 2200 mAh +)

You should better plan to carry multiple phones :p if budget is not a constraint

OP has still not responded, that means he is busy :p

Sony's attachable lenses the DSC10 and 100 will clip on to any smartphone with wifi-direct or NFC and give better pics. But the sony shop here has not got them yet.

Also here are some photos to look at, want to hear critiques from the more eagle eyed amongst you as to Z1 performance here.

Sony Xperia Z1 Camera Samples: Tiong Bahru, Singapore, see them in full res on Flickr

Another shootout between Z1, 808, Note 3 and S4 on Flickr

Thing to note is the Z1 is getting constant updates so camera is likely to improve. The same happened with the Z. But there is some disagreement as to whether that really made a difference or not, some say it did , whereas others not. OP says he's not happy with HTc one's camera, been some time now and HTC has had time to issue updates to improve things.

Thank you all for responding. I was sort of busy but i have also made the phone purchase that's why i did not look at this thread sorry :facepalm:

So yeah Camera, the best ones are either iPhone 5's or Lumia 925 / 1020
iPhone is out of question because it does not have HD display plus it has this weird non standard resolution.

I have been using Android for most of my 20's = almost 5 years & in this time i have seen android evolve a lot but one thing that has not left in this evolution was its glitchy-ness , laggy-ness, buggy-ness & insanely resource hungry(ness). I do love Android but I needed a change, I have used iPhone's as well since the early iPhone with that black band to 2g, 3g, 3gs & 4 / 4s, i have not used the iPhone 5 merely because of its unconventionally long (Not Wide) look.

I have never used a Windows Phone, well i bought a Lumia 800 for my dad but i have actually not used it. so i decided that Windows Phone would be worth a try and since 1020 was not available i decided to go for Lumia 925.

Being a Tech Nerd when you see / compare the hardware specs of the Lumia 925 to that of HTC One / Samsung S4 you would from the get go turn the Lumia 925 down because its specs are lower than the others but in no way is the phone ever felt slower for a second. The only thing it lacks is in applications, not all titles exists on Windows Phone and that was one of the reason I also purchased an iPhone 4S which was a good deal ( got a iPhone 4s in 5 months warranty for Rs. 19k)

Camera on the Lumia 925 is a lot better than the one on HTC one and i dont just mean low light performance, as if you see the image in the first post it was taken in broad day light around 12 noon.

I can get a Camera (Point & shoot or SLR) but i am not looking for that quality just wanted something decent and HTC One's was not decent quality. HTC One's Low Light pictures are ridiculously stupid check out the following images these were taken in a 8 X 10 room with 1 tubelight pointed straight on the table.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdnydvv0i3ch35v/2013-08-22 17.08.24.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jakxz8af16zynn/2013-08-29 13.22.35.jpg

Both the image above was taken with HTC One in low light Auto Mode (1 tubelight on in a room)

Now take a look at the image taken with Lumia 925 in the same condition in Auto Mode
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2p5ueaccjzjj4s/Camera360_2013_9_17_080338.jpg

Last edited:
Grats @aasimenator for your purchase Godspeed :)
It reads like purchases.

He got lumia 925 AND an iphone 4S.

You can also see the overexposure of the htc one on the keyboard. The photo is also quite noisy.

In auto mode htc one is not doing a good job. manual might be better.

[DOUBLEPOST=1379430953][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now take a look at the image taken with Lumia 925 in the same condition in Auto Mode
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2p5ueaccjzjj4s/Camera360_2013_9_17_080338.jpg
Where is the one with the ipone 4s ?

Last edited:
he main drawback i noticed was its Camera, no matter how much the hype & HTC calling it "Ultra Pixel" its still a 4 MP camera. & even though you can take pictures that look good on the phone itself when you copy it to your computer its another story. Its lacks crispness, sharpness & temperature's are inaccurate. I've even tired the manual settings for exposure & iso it is still not good enough.
Well, i guess that really settles it. Your htc pics are obviously over exposed (outdoors as well as the indoors one) , if tweaking iso & exposure does not fix then you need a replacement. One thing, is you cannot use zoom in these pics, has to be framed properly.

Am surprised the S4 was not good enough, ok, you don't like it as much as HTC but overall camera i'd have thought would have been good enough. Not as good as the 925 though but very close to the top if not the best in its generation for overall camera performance.

have read people say S4 is good only for sunshine. What was your indoor experience with S4 like ?

@blr_p
I did not dislike the S4's camera it was pretty decent but the Android & TouchWiz of it was not up to the mark, all those gestures & what not was just a waste of resources, i had them disabled for within 1 week of the purchase, I did not like the build quality of the phone either.
Camera was good in daylight but at night it captured grainy pictures.

e.g.
Daylight: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm49uwulx2dpbyc/2013-07-07 15.07.57.jpg

Night time: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ah08xtz3dp4mz8/2013-07-11 13.19.57.jpg

Another shootout between Z1, 808, Note 3 and S4 on Flickr
Pulled these photos and did a quick compare in m$ office picture manager with 'Tile windows Vertically' from the sys tray for both S4 @8MP vs Z1 @ 20MP.

The S4's photos are sharper than the Z1's at 20MP. The Z1 are more grainy especially indoors. Zoomed out the difference is harder to tell, they look very simlar in terms of exposure. But if you zoom in and compare different objects in the photos you will see the difference.

Could not tell much difference between the S4 & Note 3. It seems they are using the same sensor, no improvements still camera wise.

Difference between Z1 @ 8MP 16:9 is slight compared to 20MP 4:3.

From these photos the Z1 does not do better than the S4. The bigger sensor does not produce sharper images. Where it might help is with stabilisation ie steady shot causing less blur for moving subjects.

The Z1 has a wider angle lens so tends to capture little more than the S4 which picture crops more aggressively.

Last edited:
@blr_p
I did not dislike the S4's camera it was pretty decent but the Android & TouchWiz of it was not up to the mark, all those gestures & what not was just a waste of resources, i had them disabled for within 1 week of the purchase, I did not like the build quality of the phone either.
Camera was good in daylight but at night it captured grainy pictures.

e.g.
Daylight: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm49uwulx2dpbyc/2013-07-07 15.07.57.jpg

Night time: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ah08xtz3dp4mz8/2013-07-11 13.19.57.jpg
Do you still have the S4 ?

Would be interesting to see a shootout between S4 & 925 in different conditions.

@blr_p I think you are mistaken / made a mistake in writing the above post... Galaxy S4 does not have 8 MP Camera, it has a 13 MP camera. Lumia 925 has 8.7 MP

If i had a choice / PhoneBloks existed I would used the HTC One's enitre body & hardware except change the camera to either S4's or Lumina 925's

I don't like the Sony's Overlay on Android ( don't know what they call it) I did see the camera pictures & it was not any where near the Lumia 1020's

Samsung's Note 3 has the same config as the S4 except for the 3gb ram & I am pretty sure that the 3gb RAM will not be utilized by any app except that we could leave apps open in the background. Also Since they gave 3GB RAM i am pretty certain that TouchWiz UI of the Note 3 would be using atleast 1.5 Gb RAM leaving 1.5gb for other things.

I don't have the S4, of all the phone's i've owned the only phone i considered decent camera & hardware specs was the Note 2.

Its been 3 days since I have the Lumia 925 & everything seems great on it, I am playing with the camera the Manual Focus is amazing :) the only thing that it lacks was in Google's Services :( could not find anything except for Google Search & that too was updated 2 years ago. I wanted to use Google HangOut but its not there so i had to install it on the iPhone.

Also there are other apps that are ridiculously priced like VLC Player for Rs. 160 other free apps on the Android / iOS market is paid on the Windows Store.

S4 has a 13MP camera, but 8 MP is the biggest resolution S4 puts out in a 16:9 aspect ratio which is what those S4 samples are. What people don't realise is the max resolution of most of these units is in 4:3 aspect ratio as the sensor is 4:3 like a photo's aspect ratio. Check out this comparison between the 925 & Z1 in low light.

Sony Xperia Z1 and Nokia Lumia 925: Low-light photography comparison

Out of 11 sets, see how close it is. Can you perceive a noticeable quality difference there ?

I'd give the 925 an edge of just one pic here. If you zoom in the 925 will be sharper like the S4 was. Zoom in means looks better on a big screen. How big ? On screens (30-40?) inch and bigger the 925 & S4 will have an edge over the Z1. Smaller screens the difference is going to be less. How big a deal is this. If you want a binary answer to a binary question then 925 is a better still camera but by how much.

I'm wondering why you did not go in for the 1020. Too bulky ? This is what people go for if they want a cameraphone as opposed to a smartphone.

Phoneblocks is nice concept, only problem is it will result in much more expensive as well as bulkier phones than present. Do any of the leading companies have an incentive to work with it. No, at least not yet. Modular design like with desktops is yet to happen with mobile. It never really happened with laptops.

If you want best of best here is what it would be like
screen - s4
camera - nokia
design - htc
battery - motorla

As for how laggy touchwiz actually is, i've read people disabling unnecessary apps and using nova launcher and it improves performance. The problem with S4 is its harder to put other ROMs on it. If that could have been done then things would have been better for a phone that has excellent hardware and logistics.

Last edited:
Back