Why a mac is preferred over Windows PC?

I hope you realize a simple fact that professionals do not have time to experiment with their laptops.

Most of them work under strict deadlines and love to get their works done and restrict experiments to their work and not to their laptops(hell!! It is just a freaking laptop!! we do have lot of other things to worry about)

I made such a talk claim because I did use loads of top notch business laptops in my office, not for very long time though.

Ultrabook experience is pretty recent and yes, tried at least the best 5 of them.

Sent from Galaxy S2

I think you realize that the original discussion was about the "average joe" and not professionals.

Now the same logic applies to casual users (getting things done) but forced restriction is never a good thing. IMO, mac should have profiles for power-users and casual ones so as to make the OS accessible yet simple. In any case, such prompts as I mentioned before should not be used. Anyone unaware of Adium would definitely be discouraged to try it out due to such warnings.

Supposs I am unaware of a particular sw, why on Earth will I try to install it?

BTW didn't the thread started off with why professionals prefer Macs?

The Mac o.s is pretty much accessible to the user unlike I o. s

Sent from Galaxy S2

I have seen mostly all the music composers and all the people who work related to music composing use a Mac instead of a Windows PC. I want to know what so special in Mac that make them do this? An application they can get on Mac can be alternatively made for PC easily, so why they do this thing? whats that special treat in Mac for composers?

Actually, it was about very specific kind of professionals. After that, it kind of became OT.

OK, now that we are anyway OT.

I would estimate that 90% [or probably more] of home users are doing very basic stuff. My dad, my in laws, my brother, most of my friends surf, do email, and the occasional spreadsheet/word document.

For them Macs would be a godsend.

Have a friend who shifted out of the country, and he says his dad is driven to frustration trying to do work on his windows machine in his absence. So, this time he was here, he reloaded the OS and everything was fine for a few months, and then again his dads PC is running slow. He is now getting a Mac for his dad out of pure frustration, after he heard about my positive experiences.

My dad would also have repeated issues, and I got him a Mac, and it's made my life also so much easier.

My wife, after getting the Mac has not had a single issue, while with her windows, I would hear at least a complaint a day about something or the other.

The average home user is NOT a TE member, and probably does not even know what an online forum is.

So, someone would turn around and say that Macs are too expensive for such minimal use, but then for users like these, at least they can get things done without external help. My father in law needs to call a computer guy at least a few times a year for all kinds of odd issues, which you guys would solve in a jiffy, but it's not so easy for an elderly barely computer literate guy.

I am yet to see a single windows laptop running for a month without being turned off completely.

I hope you didn't mean 'on single charge'. I don't think there is any laptop out there (Macs included) that would run a month on a single charge.

Assuming you only meant that 'without being shut down', and including standby modes, my W7 laptop has not been shut down close to 80 days now. My desktop (XP) on the other hand hasn't been shutdown in more than 5 months, and the last time it was shutdown was because my UPS went bust.

Nice post, but didn't get the penicillin, ampicillin analogy.

Sent from Galaxy S2

Penicillin is a narrow spectrum antibiotic while ampicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic afaik. Both iirc work as anti-bacterials except penicillin targets a small genre while ampicillin is the general purpose stuff.

Btw, slightly OT and since I can't edit my own posts as yet, I'd like to point out that I am a linux user running his own distribution. And for all daily routine purposes, I haven't had a single issue or have had to configure a single application since my installation week. The OS is close to 2 years old now, and runs in perfect shape, updates seamlessly, and has acted as a server for a period of 2 months in this duration.

Also, personally I find both the Mac and Windows rather crippled. MS has taken a good move with W7 but it still needs a lot of overhaul and refactoring to be called a good operating system. Mac otoh is a control freak which decides how I should use my computer. While this was good in the beginning, as I wanted to do more, getting it done became a nightmare
<

The last few posts have pretty much got it right.

- Macs are noob friendly but restrictive

- Windows is the middle ground, a little less noob friendly but also less restrictive

- Linux does everything but is only usable but geeks

I really don't get why people say Mac is restrictive. In what way ? Most of the hackers use Mac too. Can someone tell me why it is restrictive ?

I really don't get why people say Mac is restrictive. In what way ? Most of the hackers use Mac too. Can someone tell me why it is restrictive ?

mac is restrictive in the sense restrictive with itself.. hacking is something internet and software programming related.. it has absolutely no relation over here..

restrictive means, it doesnt allow users to tweak the OS the way windows does.. a user has a lot of tweaking options and loads of other methods to change settings of just about everything that happens in windows.. mac doesnt allow that kind of flexibility.

windows allows users to access its registry, change registry values for everything installed on the system, change settings using registry etc. etc. theres a lot of things in windows users can play around with to have their desired way of performance on the system. . this is not the case with mac... you have what is given.. you can do what it allows, you cant however play around with it much ..

and he says his dad is driven to frustration trying to do work on his windows machine in his absence. So, this time he was here, he reloaded the OS and everything was fine for a few months, and then again his dads PC is running slow. He is now getting a Mac for his dad out of pure frustration, after he heard about my positive experiences.

Amen to that.. I just got a new MBA for Dad out of pure frustration

Actually it isn't.. If you are comfortable working off the BSD command line and/or editing config files manually

The catch is that the OS X shelll keeps things super simple for the non technical user

However, if you are willing to scratch beneath the shell, you can tinker to your hearts' desire

In any case, such prompts as I mentioned before should not be used

You are looking at a screenshot from a pre-release dev preview- And am pretty sure adium and other genuine software vendors will get added to the trusted list before the final retail release

From what I understand, this feature is pretty easy to disable - From a lay users' perspective, it keeps things pretty safe though.. Prevents malware for the non tech user-

Back