Windows Windows 10 free upgrade

Loving Windows 10. My 8 yr old laptop is running like a breeze. I installed win 7 first but didnt have drivers after searching for hours. Then I pressed the upgrade button, it upgraded to win10 and installed all drivers automatically except audio which i had to find. Good stuff!

similarly here; 8-yr laptop, just upgraded from win 8.1 to 10 y'day. most drivers seem installed. only the display one I had to manually install, plus the touchpad one.

I am facing a weird problem. Whenever I log back in after a 'Sleep' or 'Hibernation', the context starts to periodically switch from whatever application I am using at that time.
For example, if I am typing in the address bar of the browser (I use Chrome, but the same issue persists while using other browsers as well), the context switches and for about 5 seconds, nothing I type is visible on the screen, then the control comes back, this keeps happening periodically until I restart the system.

Hope you understand the problem. It is really irritating and driving me nuts. I have started using Linux Mint for browsing now.

Any help would be helpful.

just happened while using chrome - the display went totally black with nothing visible. lasted for 5 seconds or so. encountered for the first time since upgrading, and never on the last OS.

just happened while using chrome - the display went totally black with nothing visible. lasted for 5 seconds or so. encountered for the first time since upgrading, and never on the last OS.
Display driver crash. Check the windows events log for the exact time it happened. You'll find the culprit there.

Display driver crash. Check the windows events log for the exact time it happened. You'll find the culprit there.

alright. anyway using nvidia's win 7 display driver. perhaps some incompatibility issue. have disabled hardware acceleration in chrome-settings for now to prevent further such occurrence(s).

Bump.

So my photos app is busted. Wont open and I cant find a way to remove and reinstall it.

If I cant fix it, thats fine. I would like an alternative though. Something like the old Windows 7 photo viewer.

The only requisite is that it should open super fast and close fast. Dont need to have editing, cropping or any other capabilities. Just something that can open pictures and preview them. MSPaint can kinda do that but it opens pictures a little wierd, zoomed in and such.

Bump.

So my photos app is busted. Wont open and I cant find a way to remove and reinstall it.

If I cant fix it, thats fine. I would like an alternative though. Something like the old Windows 7 photo viewer.

The only requisite is that it should open super fast and close fast. Dont need to have editing, cropping or any other capabilities. Just something that can open pictures and preview them. MSPaint can kinda do that but it opens pictures a little wierd, zoomed in and such.

Try http://www.xnview.com/en/

I havent used irfanview since the Win XP days. I remember it taking ages to load. Maybe I should give it another go.

Gonna try Xnview as well. Thanks.

I have got a 3 year old laptop from my aunt. When I checked on Dell's website(Dell inspiron 3521) regarding compatibility after checking with service tag entry forWin 10 it shows affirmative. However, this laptop does not have a serial number printed at the back of the laptop(found in older models). So will the OS ask me to enter serial key during upgrade since there aint any key mentioned.

I have got a 3 year old laptop from my aunt. When I checked on Dell's website(Dell inspiron 3521) regarding compatibility after checking with service tag entry forWin 10 it shows affirmative. However, this laptop does not have a serial number printed at the back of the laptop(found in older models). So will the OS ask me to enter serial key during upgrade since there aint any key mentioned.
Just upgrade your laptop to windows 10. Do not clean install. It will activate automatically.

Just upgrade your laptop to windows 10. Do not clean install. It will activate automatically.
Let's say I upgrade now and want to setup a fresh OS at a later time. Will it then again ask for the key?[DOUBLEPOST=1450456995][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi
I am using windows 7 can I upgrade to 10 and suggest me to which one is better to have while mostly I used for net surfing and gaming
If yours is an OEM or a genuine OS then go for an upgrade. The microsoft software will automatically select the most compatible version.

Let's say I upgrade now and want to setup a fresh OS at a later time. Will it then again ask for the key?]
Once you successfully upgrade to W10 and connect to the internet, MS stores your hardware data along with activation information in its servers. You can clean install any number of times and it will get activated automatically without the need of any key.
Upgrade is required only first time.
If yours is an OEM or a genuine OS then go for an upgrade. The microsoft software will automatically select the most compatible version.
Even pirated versions get successfully activated after upgrade. Then do a clean install and the activation stays.

I am not able to access Linux samba share on windows 10. It shows shared drive is not accessible. Any remedy to solve this issue.
Googling didn't help me.

Back