Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

raksrules said:
Not possible actually since Mumbai does not have BSNL.

Any one else for whom 3G is not working in home network and believes it will work in roaming (i do believe it) is welcome to exchange his SIM card with me :p

Does MTNL have any unlimited GPRS plan and can be used in roaming also without any extra charge ?

Because when i checked its website there seems to be charges for using GPRS in roaming :(
My BSNL sim works in roaming without any extra charges for using GPRS in 3G, In Punjab /Chandigarh areas. Now I am using 3G unlimited 2499/- plan.

virus32win said:
My BSNL sim works in roaming without any extra charges for using GPRS in 3G, In Punjab /Chandigarh areas. Now I am using 3G unlimited 2499/- plan.
Yes that is right...but i am talking about MTNL SIM working in BSNL areas (effectively roaming), here the GPRS is charged extra when in roaming.

virus32win said:
Were you not getting speeds with 2g gprs plan itself?

raksrules said:
^^Does that mean that there is no normal GPRS plan ? I guess that is highly unlikely. :S
Just confermed only 2g sims having existing unlimited gprs plans activated will not be auto upgraded to 3g.

jampack said:
Were you not getting speeds with 2g gprs plan itself?
Yes, speeds were with 2G sim in 3G network. But now migrated to 3G for availing 3G promotional tariff of all local and national video calls @ Rs 0.30 per minute and testing of HSDPA 7.2Mbps.

dantool said:
hey guys,can the rs 274 recharge be done online?

Unfortunately it cannot be done online as they only have few pre fixed amounts. Even if you go to any shop to get it done and if they only have those recharge cards, then they wont be able to do. Go for shops who have that BSNL SIM with recharge available with them and they do a phone to phone recharge. Ignore the shopkeeper if he says "274 ka koi recharge nahi hota". Just do it. Your balance wont increase but you will now be in Unlimited GPRS plan.
virus32win said:
Yes, speeds were with 2G sim in 3G network. But now migrated to 3G for availing 3G promotional tariff of all local and national video calls @ Rs 0.30 per minute and testing of HSDPA 7.2Mbps.

What device are you using to achieve speeds of upto 7.2Mbps ?

Kolkata update :

the 3G network in Kolkata sux.. sux , unless you are on the outskirts of town , the 3g network is generally unavailable for 90% of the day

Phones used for testing : Iphone 3gs, Nokia E63, Nokia N97 mini

The speeds when u get 3g are high only on a 3g sim - on the 2g sim - its always a max of 30kBps (avg 8-17 kBps)

3g speeds are around 120 - 230 kBps

==========================

this is just for Kolkata guys planning to use the *trick* in Kolkata - even with the 3g Sim - be super sure that you have decent 3g network before investing your money...

Read on other forums saying that in maharashtra 3g test signals were on and that they are going to re launch 3g on 11th june.

virus32win said:
USB dongle / Sony Xeperia X1 Cellphone. I am unable to get speeds of 7.2MB in Chandigarh sectors 50-43-46.
CAN you plz share xperia settings for bsnl apn

my xperia rejects the sim...

also, are you using bsnl 3g or the bsnl 2g hack?

I recharged unlimited plan for 3g, and when i checked my balance I found that I was given 25GB to download. I complained CS and they said it's false. But now when I finished the 25GB quota my money is getting deducted inspite of having 3g ul validity. Do anyone have experienced the same problem? I was getting 150kBps-180kBps. How much avg. speed do all of u get in 3g?

^
MTNL3g on unlimited recharge gives only 100GB freedata it might be 25GB for BSNL. its like an unannounced fair usage policy. you cant do much about it.

speed depends on proximity to tower . 180kBps is good speed .

Back