Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

I am using it in a Huawei E160G dongle to get those speeds. Anyways connecting via Nokia 5230 also I got speeds arnd 250-275 KB/s during the night after 11 pm.

As of the 3G sim, you can get one in your nearest BSNL CSC by paying 59 bucks for the SIM and then a Rs 120 recharge which comes with some free data. Check BSNL website for the details.

Btw the UL plan is Rs 2499 ....so I am not sure if anyone will pay so high!

^^

Got to main bsnl office... fill out form with address and identity proof and a photo.. and 120 bucks... u get a new 3g sim.

Tell them to send the settings or u have to send a message, dunno abt that.

then u need to "recharge" with one of the data plans.i am using 275 for starters. just took my sim last sat. ITS AWESOME.

using it with n97 mini. battery life went down drains during torrenting.. :S...

^^ So you are using a 3G Sim only with limited data recharge . 275 bucks is for 500MB I guess. Does the 2G sim trick work in Kerela :p

thanks supra

i dont mind paying 2499 - as long as the uptimes are good and speeds consistent

what has been your experience regarding consistency in speeds and uptime

how many months are you using this?

is this the default dongle (from bsnl) or did u buy this separately?

^^ Ya re the mad speeds I am getting....I am even considering to do a Rs 549 data recharge (1GB day + 5 GB night) and try out a month. So if somehow the 2G sim trick works.....at Rs 274 2.5~ 3 mbps UL is like heaven :rofl:

@ Abhishek---- No idea about day time speeds yet.....but min I got from mobile anytime is arnd 1 mbps. But main point u need to be in a 3.5G area with decent tower coverage. For me I get 90-100% signal at my home and 70-80% signal at office.

The dongle I bought it separately from a local contact for Rs 1750. It was unlocked and supports all operators with EDGE as well as 3.5G connectivity :p

so you never used this in the day? just for testing or speedtests or 30 mins of usage?

anyone else with overall coverage?

supra - can you set me up with a dongle?

:)

I am currently using the gprswest.cellone.in access point to access normal EDGE on which even 3.5G worked before :( . Are there any other access points that i can give a shot ?? :p

Anyone from Pune who is using 3G or this trick and can confirm whether it is working for them or not ??

@ Abhishek---- I tested it yesterday during daytime and it gave arnd 1.2~1.4 mbps in office. At home where signal is almost 100% I never get below 1.7~2 mbps. At night its different scene altogether.

As of the dongle, PMing u abt the same :)

@ Raks---try mizone/bsnlnet

Supra said:
Shit...I was thinking may be I can get a sim from you guys from your circle and use it here in Bangalore as anyway its free in roaming as well. My dad's 2G sim from NE (North East-II) Circle works here fine and can access 3.5G network and since he is on Plan 749 which has UL GPRS bundled so it was working till he was here. But the faaking thing does not work on my 2G Local Prepaid Sim, and it cant even register with 3.5G signal !

Btw on my BSNL 3G sim....I am getting speeds like 360-375 KB/s (~ 3mbps) at night ....after 1-2 am its touching 400-430 KB/s :D
So if the trick is working somewhere I would request someone to help me out in getting a 2G prepaid sim from their circle :)
I'm also desperately looking for this here in bangalore. First of all i'm post paid user and in that also its not working, but the first mistake what i did is, migrated to 3G when its launched here. Tried going to back 2G for this trick and unable to register in 3.5G network :(.
Second i tried with prepaid connection and same result, more over here no 274 recharge there.
Now as a last option i got prepaid SIM from TN(since from May 2010 roaming is free) where 274 recharge is available and there also this trick is not working. But to my surprise when i came here, i can register to 3.5 network. So basically roaming SIMS can access 3.5 network, but sad news is still those shits not implemented roaming free scheme :(. I've already made several complaints on this to different people including district nodal officer and state controlled nodal officer, but no use. :(

^^ You should be able to do a Rs 274 RC with the TN Prepaid BSNL sim. Btw is 3.5G data working (with balance deudction) and what speeds are u getting. Even if balance is getting deducted but 3.5G data connection is working at speeds above 100 KB/s(800 kbps) I am sure we can get it to work somehow :p

So one thing is sure for now.....roaming sims does the trick :D

Btw for no balance deduction try sticking to one APN ---- bsnlnet

If still deduction try gprssouth.cellone.in

^ more sad news... speed is just 0.25 Mpbs in TN prepaid and only bsnlnet it supports :(. But at the same time in my postpaid (3G migrated) always measures above 5.5 Mpbs in speedtest.net(chennai server) and in post paid both APNs are supported.

Supra said:
^^ You should be able to do a Rs 274 RC with the TN Prepaid BSNL sim. Btw is 3.5G data working (with balance deudction) and what speeds are u getting. Even if balance is getting deducted but 3.5G data connection is working at speeds above 100 KB/s(800 kbps) I am sure we can get it to work somehow :p

So one thing is sure for now.....roaming sims does the trick :D

Btw for no balance deduction try sticking to one APN ---- bsnlnet

If still deduction try gprssouth.cellone.in
I am never able to use bsnlnet. Why so ???

The only one that works for me is gprswest.cellone.in and that too only EDGE now which was giving me 3G speeds till last weekend :(

^^ 5.5 mbps...ZOMG.....which phone or dongle r u using....so its HSDPA 7.2 mbps....can u download some linux ISO and check the speed in IDM.....it should touch 750-800 KB/s.....I seriously dont mind paying 1999+taxes if HSDPA 7.2 mbps works flawlessly :D...in fact in my friends iphone 3GS also it shows more than 4 mbps sometimes

^ I think speed depends on the server and i dont know which is nearest server for dowloading linux ISO. For testing i downloaded from here

http://mirrors.melbourne.co.uk/ubuntu-releases/lucid/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso and Speed i was getting around 250 KB/s to 750 KB/s(touching max of 1 MB/s).

Speedtest results are 1.Chennai - above 5.5 mbps; 2. Mumbai - 1.4 mbps 3. kuala lambur - 2.5 mbps; 4. HK - 5 mbps 5. NY - 3 mbp

Tests to all server carried out 2 times each around 6.30 AM morning. Test carried out HTC legend (with Xperia X1 also i used get same speed previously)

I tried using the 2g sim in 3G dongle (3.6mbps one). It connects to network in HSDPA mode. Speeds improved a bit to 27-28 kB/s from 15kB/s using the phone, but still not 3G speeds.

So, converted to 3G (recharged with Re. 1 as told by CSC) but still getting same speeds of around 30kB/s even though connected in HSDPA mode.. :(

Am I doing something wrong?

Back