Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

Harpy.eagle said:
^^ great, thanks for quick and detailed reply. And i guess u bought this sim recently becoz in some post in this thread i remember reading that old 2G sims have better chance of getting 3G sims.

Thansk again.

Yes i bought this SIM just two weeks or so back. Not sure about new and old thing :S

Dont go for any 3G SIM, Get normal 2G SIM for 50 bucks.

I think this is limited to prepaids only. I have tried this on my postpaid from long time but cant get 3G Speed even though i am getting 3.5G singal everywhere in pune. I have unlimited GPRS activated. Any postpaid user getting 3G speed here?

quick update :

using a huawei starhub singapore usb 3g hsdpa dongle
speeds are still pathetic

generally on UMTS i connect at 460kbps (in windows dialup) and download at 15-20

on HSDPA - i am connected at 3.6mbps to the BSNL HSDPA network (with frequent switches to WCDMA as well)

speeds are actually pathetic and lower at 5-6kbos on the 3g network with HSDPA
!!!!

If here you are mentioning the connection speed that shows in the system tray, then what happens in my case is that when i connect my nokia 5230 and connect to BSNL net it says connected at 912.X kbps which is max we can select. But my actual speed goes uptil 3 Mbps (even more sometimes, touched a peak of 11.56 Mbps once :p). Not sure if there is a relation between those two speeds and what does that 912 kbps mean :S

raksrules said:
If here you are mentioning the connection speed that shows in the system tray, then what happens in my case is that when i connect my nokia 5230 and connect to BSNL net it says connected at 912.X kbps which is max we can select. But my actual speed goes uptil 3 Mbps (even more sometimes, touched a peak of 11.56 Mbps once :p). Not sure if there is a relation between those two speeds and what does that 912 kbps mean :S

that is the sync speed of computer to the phone not the data rate.
I connect my phone (W350 :( )to the PC when connected it shows 115.2kbps (xp) though gives me speed in excess of 240kbps (win 7 in network box of task manager) (30+KB/sec) om my reliance connection.:clap:

Woah , looks like a lot has happened since I was gone . I was actually busy with my Semester exams which will end on 21 June

Enjoy this Workaround till it lasts guyz

^^ Yeah man totally....the data counter in my phone has increased from 147 MB (thanks to airtel GPRS/EDGE) to 12.6 GB all thanks to this BSNL :p

lol...that 11 mbps was just for a second or so. As i type this my symtorrent client is downloading stuff at about 120 KBPS. Best part is that i am in Mumbai and here MTNL Dolphin too has 3G :yahoo:

So you are saying that it works in mumbai too. Can you confirm it on mtnl sim.coz unlimited internet on mtnl is like for rs 98 only as to 274 on bsnl.

ggt said:
So you are saying that it works in mumbai too. Can you confirm it on mtnl sim.coz unlimited internet on mtnl is like for rs 98 only as to 274 on bsnl.

Yes my Pune BSNL SIM is currently in roaming on MTNL Dolphin in Mumbai and i am using it to connect to internet at the moment. My landline at home is dead so my MTNL triband is not working, this 3G connection has been a savior for me. But one problem is that the 3G connectivity in Borivali west area is not that good so speeds rarely even touch 1 Mbps and frequent disconnections are happening vis-a-vis in my area in Pune where for a test i kept my laptop and phone connected full night and it managed to hold on the connection entire night and downloaded around 5GB of data too.

I cannot confirm on MTNL SIM as only my dad has one and that too is postpaid. I will try to see if i can but chances are Slim. By the time his GPRS is activated i will be back to Pune.

Supra said:
I told HSDPA 7.2 mbps is supported in BSNL network...that does not mean 7.2 mbps was received. Got arnd 4.5~5 mbps right under a BSNL tower and so ofcourse that mean HSDPA 7.2 mbps mode is available in few areas ! In fact BSNL was supplying a HSPA modem for 2.5k which supported 7.2 mbps
Any success in this trick @ Bangalore?

Super bad news guys.....suddenly the 3G seems to have stopped working. I think this time it is not a downtime from BSNL side since my EDGE is working absolutely fine.

Now when in UMTS mode and 3.5G signals available, when i try connecting to internet it says "Packet data connection not available..."

Well it seems the party is over for me :(:(

Will have to do with its normal EDGE connection now, which is pretty much better than airtel for me as BSNL tower is near to my home and i get good speeds.

PS: I still hope it is a temporary issue and 3G is back.:(

Shit...I was thinking may be I can get a sim from you guys from your circle and use it here in Bangalore as anyway its free in roaming as well. My dad's 2G sim from NE (North East-II) Circle works here fine and can access 3.5G network and since he is on Plan 749 which has UL GPRS bundled so it was working till he was here. But the faaking thing does not work on my 2G Local Prepaid Sim, and it cant even register with 3.5G signal !

Btw on my BSNL 3G sim....I am getting speeds like 360-375 KB/s (~ 3mbps) at night ....after 1-2 am its touching 400-430 KB/s :D

So if the trick is working somewhere I would request someone to help me out in getting a 2G prepaid sim from their circle :)

Shit...I was thinking may be I can get a sim from you guys from your circle and use it here in Bangalore as anyway its free in roaming as well. My dad's 2G sim from NE (North East-II) Circle works here fine and can access 3.5G network and since he is on Plan 749 which has UL GPRS bundled so it was working till he was here. But the faaking thing does not work on my 2G Local Prepaid Sim, and it cant even register with 3.5G signal !

Btw on my BSNL 3G sim....I am getting speeds like 360-375 KB/s (~ 3mbps) at night ....after 1-2 am its touching 400-430 KB/s :D
So if the trick is working somewhere I would request someone to help me out in getting a 2G prepaid sim from their circle :)

@ supra - how and where did u get this sim the 3g one?
what are the charges you pay for the 3g sim

i dont mind checking them out AND paying for super high speeds - is there some sort of trial reqd
also do we need a dongle or is a standard 3g phone good enough to get these speeds...

a prompt response is appreciated

thanks!

Back