Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

guys - an update from my end

i recharged with unlimited gprs - finally the bsnl servers were up !!

issues:

1. i still get charged for downloads! played a few youtube vids and was charge around 8 bucks.. still to figure out why or how

2. anubis - can you pm me your apn settings plz - since we sare both in kolkata - using bsnlnet which was default and which was also sent OTA by BSNL CC.
i get charged as above..

i would love for this to work on laptops
so will try out the bsnl west settings i guess - fingers crossed - i am getting around 15-30kbps only
need help here guys!!!

raksrules said:
No 3.5G signal on my cell since morning. I think party is over :(:(

I never got 3.5 G - only 3G

refreshed all my access point settings
still getting charged!

@raksrules in your access point settings you dont have a portal defined?

can yo please share explicit settings used till date.?

@raksrules : i get 3g whats the deal with this 3.5g?

edit: this is what is working for me::: the only way to avoid charges : use the gsm mode, initiate the connection and switch over to 3g within the browser session

my speeds are around 15kbps - is this 3g? i am using bsnlnet apn

@som1053 : i will try your settings...

babhishek said:
edit: this is what is working for me::: the only way to avoid charges : use the gsm mode, initiate the connection and switch over to 3g within the browser session

No these are no 3G speeds. In 3G you can reach speeds of more than 1 Mbps on cell phone itself. What handset do you have ?
See in nokia phones when it shows 3.5G with some bars it means it is catching the signals but now in my case there are no bars at all and it shows 3G which means no 3G is being caught by the phone :(:(

2G (with E & packet data icon below) --- EDGE mode ( max 236 kbps or so)

3G ( with 3G & packet data icon below)---- 3G mode ( max 384 kbps) --on handsets like Nokia 2730 which does not support 3.5G

3.5G (with 3.5G & packet data icon below) ---- 3.5G mode ( max 3.6 mbps HSDPA)

3G with cross on the packet data icon ---- No singal

Btw BSNL supports HSDPA 7.2 mbps also in some areas of Bangalore. Checked it in a friends iPhone 3GS.

Finally 3.5G signal is back on my mobile, it seems tower near my building is having problems, got signal when i was far from my building. But it seems the GPRS services are down as not even normal EDGE connectivity is working (phone in GSM mode). Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

can any one from pune here confirm whether they are able to use bsnl gprs, even normal one using access point gprswest.cellone.in ? i am not able to access any thing

babhishek said:

I am in exact same situation as babhishek. I have nokia 6630, which displays 3g below signal strength bar, but getting speeds are limited to 15kB/s.

I told HSDPA 7.2 mbps is supported in BSNL network...that does not mean 7.2 mbps was received. Got arnd 4.5~5 mbps right under a BSNL tower and so ofcourse that mean HSDPA 7.2 mbps mode is available in few areas ! In fact BSNL was supplying a HSPA modem for 2.5k which supported 7.2 mbps

Anyone from Pune here, can you please confirm whether you are able to access GPRS using the bsnl_west_gprs/gprswest.cellone.in access point ?? Since morning i am not able to access internet at all. Not even normal EDGE /GPRS, leave alone the 3G stuff.

I also tried my SIM in my w800i and still no net access. Since i am in Mumbai i cannot dial the customer care too (any direct number for Pune ??). Please help me :(

Absolutely no idea as what issue it is.

In my 5230 it says

Internet:

Unable to connect

Check connection settings

I have made absolutely no changes.

Anyone here plz help me :(

did a few speedtests, thankfully i am not charged now

using iphone 3gs factory unlocked.

speeds vary : download 111/100/111 kbps (yes small b) with 3G network.

edge 2g speed: download 50/11/11 kbps

upload speeds 95/103/87 with 3g

on 2g 0/1/36 kbps

not very promising

:D

server was new delhi hughes

raksrules said:
Anyone from Pune here, can you please confirm whether you are able to access GPRS using the bsnl_west_gprs/gprswest.cellone.in access point ?? Since morning i am not able to access internet at all. Not even normal EDGE /GPRS, leave alone the 3G stuff.

I also tried my SIM in my w800i and still no net access. Since i am in Mumbai i cannot dial the customer care too (any direct number for Pune ??). Please help me :(

Absolutely no idea as what issue it is.

In my 5230 it says

Internet:

Unable to connect

Check connection settings

I have made absolutely no changes.

Anyone here plz help me :(

Downtime dude :p This happen frequently with GPRS. Nothing to do with the settings, sit relaxed, keep trying after sometime.

Edit: I am not from "Pune"

virus32win said:
Downtime dude :p This happen frequently with GPRS. Nothing to do with the settings, sit relaxed, keep trying after sometime.

Edit: I am not from "Pune"

If that is the case then i will be relieved. Kya Kya sapne dekhe the maine yeh GPRS ke sahare.... BDRips, PS2 games, 1080p,720p and what not :p

babhishek said:
did a few speedtests, thankfully i am not charged now

using iphone 3gs factory unlocked.
speeds vary : download 111/100/111 kbps (yes small b) with 3G network.
edge 2g speed: download 50/11/11 kbps

upload speeds 95/103/87 with 3g
on 2g 0/1/36 kbps

not very promising
:D

server was new delhi hughes
wow... 20mb/s is your download speed... we dont have such fast internet here in serbia...

Back