Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

I think bsnl knows about this n they are deliberatety doin this for some kinda promotion of 3g . Cos i once got a sms from bsnl sayin get 3g speed in your 2g sim . .
Anyways i m using full use of it . :)

phuchungbhutia said:
I think bsnl knows about this n they are deliberatety doin this for some kinda promotion of 3g . Cos i once got a sms from bsnl sayin get 3g speed in your 2g sim . .

Anyways i m using full use of it . :)

You have got the point:D They knowingly doing this for the 3G promotion and incoming video calling on 2G.

Ok guys so finally without customer care intervention i was able to activate GPRS on my phone and get the settings as well. Now can anyone suggest me which recharge should i do to activate my Unlimited GPRS plan ? I suppose there would be a trial sort of plan.

Since i am not able to get through customer care, can anyone here in Pune please enquire for me as to what all UL plans are available for GPRS ?

Ok so guys here is a report from my side

1. I had recharged yesterday my BSNL card for around 74 rs to bring the balance above 50 rs as suggested.

2. Now i got my GPRS activated by sending message to customer care and also took the settings. bsnl_west_gprs in my case

3. Now i switched the mode to UMTS and voila it shows 3.5G with couple of bars (bad network connectivity in office area you see)

4. I have still not got any sort of unlimited pack still i risked being charged at pay as yo use charges.

5. I connect to opera mini and open a wesbite to download a song.

6. The song starts downloading at blazing fast speed and before i could think, it was merely less than 30 seconds and my 4.9 MB song was on my phone :O

A quick calculation says i had got more than 150 KBPS speed (it is CAPITAL B) or around 1.2 Mbps speed.. Wow

Next i opened http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed on my mobile's browser (dont use opera mini or any 3rd party browser) and did a speed test with 1 MB file. Voila it showed me speeds of more than 600 kbps.

So i can confirm that it works in Pune region. I tested it in Hinjewadi IT Park Phase 2 area. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Time to get the UL GPRS pack... Guys please suggest what is the recharge to do for various time lines??

Ok guys so i tried this on PC and surprisingly it is working albeit the connection is not stable and sometimes fails to connect. But here is a screen shot of utorrent running and see the download speed.

8zpkzr.jpg

Area Tested: Aundh, Pune

Here are few speed test results on my PC

I was able to touch upto 3 Mbps speeds on my laptop (constant between 2 Mbps and 2.6 Mbps). :)

Torrents are working fine in mobile also. I am using symtorrent app in my 5230 and just downloaded a 360 MB file from IPT at avg speed pf 125 KBPS (capital B)

In the above utorrent screenshot it can be noticed that the sign below is red which means port is blocked but still for some reason downloading is happening at full speed.

Congrats raks !! :)

@ALL USERS who want to surf at free of cost at your mobile at 3.5G

I accidentally noticed this a month ago. But didn't revealed it till now to be certain that it wasn't any temporary fault.

The process is simple. Open any light page like Google using your browser. Keep it open and goto the settings and change the connection type to UMTS ( if its available at your place ). After a few seconds, you will get the 3G signal and a message will be shown that your balanced has been deducted by 2/3 paisa ( according to the page you opened ). From now on, you can surf as long as you want without disconnecting the connection for free of cost. I've done this in my Nokia 5230, so any S60 3G supported device should do this. Even any mobile which allow changing connection mode without restarting / disconnecting a connection should do this but not sure.

One thing is important that you do not disconnect the connection while changing the connection type to UMTS i.e. do not close the browser/any other app using the access point. I minimize it using the hardware hang up or the menu button since there isn't any option to do so in any other way.

And once you close the browser/apps, your connection will be closed and you will be charged by 1p/10kb although you can still use the 3G speed.

No need to buy any 3G SIM, normal 2G SIM will do i guess. Thats what i did. Bought a SIM for Rs 50 from local shop keeper. :)

Have downloaded LOST E15 in 720p (1.09GB) and normal 350MB copy right on my cell till now :eek:hyeah:

i already have 2g sim. i get 3g signal in umts mode but speed never cross 35kBps. i just tried downloading a fileon cell only just to check, without any unlimited gprs pack/topup.

here in punjab, 280 unlimited plan exist.

bsnl server down, still to get my bsnl recharge..

@ raksrules- thanks for the review;this is wicked

can we use a usb dongle or something with this sim to get these speeds instead of a mobile handset?

any recommendations guys?

@ anubis - lets get chatting on gtalk..... plz pm me your gtalk id

tx

raksrules said:
Ok guys so finally without customer care intervention i was able to activate GPRS on my phone and get the settings as well. Now can anyone suggest me which recharge should i do to activate my Unlimited GPRS plan ? I suppose there would be a trial sort of plan.
Since i am not able to get through customer care, can anyone here in Pune please enquire for me as to what all UL plans are available for GPRS ?

Ok so guys here is a report from my side

1. I had recharged yesterday my BSNL card for around 74 rs to bring the balance above 50 rs as suggested.

2. Now i got my GPRS activated by sending message to customer care and also took the settings. bsnl_west_gprs in my case

3. Now i switched the mode to UMTS and voila it shows 3.5G with couple of bars (bad network connectivity in office area you see)

4. I have still not got any sort of unlimited pack still i risked being charged at pay as yo use charges.

5. I connect to opera mini and open a wesbite to download a song.

6. The song starts downloading at blazing fast speed and before i could think, it was merely less than 30 seconds and my 4.9 MB song was on my phone :O

A quick calculation says i had got more than 150 KBPS speed (it is CAPITAL B) or around 1.2 Mbps speed.. Wow

Next i opened http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed on my mobile's browser (dont use opera mini or any 3rd party browser) and did a speed test with 1 MB file. Voila it showed me speeds of more than 600 kbps.

So i can confirm that it works in Pune region. I tested it in Hinjewadi IT Park Phase 2 area. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Time to get the UL GPRS pack... Guys please suggest what is the recharge to do for various time lines??

Ok guys so i tried this on PC and surprisingly it is working albeit the connection is not stable and sometimes fails to connect. But here is a screen shot of utorrent running and see the download speed.

8zpkzr.jpg

Area Tested: Aundh, Pune

Here are few speed test results on my PC

OMG , bro I have been trying to utilise this trick on PC and still I am not able to use it on PC. Guess its not working on PC for Kolkata region , but the speeds are mind blowing here specially in Tollygunge are where I get continuous 3mbps

^^ I am using Nokia 5230 and for web access i use opera mini 4, opera mobile 10, ebuddy for messenger, skyfire browser.

Symtorrent too works fine but i guess (as you told) it is banned by IPT so i wont use it in future for IPT, but till yesterday i was able to download close to 1.5GB of data using IPT using symtorrent on my 5230.

While installing the symtorrent client it will say that it is not compatible with phone but just ignore that and get it installed.

Is there really anyway to use this trick in BSNL 3G modem? We can't change to 3g/UMTS manually after connecting in any mode because network interface get disabled. Although when I manually register the usb modem with 3g network before connecting, I still get EDGE type speed.

I checked that there are 2 network modes in BSNL UMTS frequency(2100)

1. WCDMA Cellone (I think this network supprt speed upto 384kbps)

2. HSDPA Cellone (I think this is for real 3g speed upto 3.6mbps)

When I use HSPDA or WCDMA, speed is still between 5-30kBps. What to do in BSNL Huawei data to get this trick work?

Earlier when I tried this trick in Windows Mobile, I found that there's a problem. When searching for 2100 band , I found 2 networks, 40xxx and BSNL!/@(3g). In network set option whenever I change first preference of 40xxx to BSNL!/@(3g). It automatically change itself to default state i.e., 40xxx as first preferred and thus I get 5-30kBps speed.

raksrules said:
Yes i recharged with 274 for the Unlimited GPRS pack. I am located in Pune.

I had mentioned about it a long time ago in your show off thread of your nokia 5230 buy a bsnl connection to
Get 3g speeds for free. Could not mention the procedure since i thought this forum does not encourage sharing tricks/hacks . Anyways enjoy till it lasts.

Can you please post what exact settings are u using in the 5230 ? The APN name, proxy address if any , port. Also are u using the same APN to connect to PC also ?

Supra said:
Can you please post what exact settings are u using in the 5230 ? The APN name, proxy address if any , port. Also are u using the same APN to connect to PC also ?

Here you go...

Connection Name: bsnl_west_gprs
Access Point Name: gprswest.cellone.in
No user name and password

There is no proxy address of any kind.

In PC, i connect using the nokia PC suite connection manager, in the manual settings, put the accesspoint name as gprswest.cellone.in in PC Suite and set my phone to be on UMTS full time. In my area it shows full signal strength of 3.5G so i get very good speeds at home.

Back