Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

I tried this week. The speed seems to improve, but definitely not 1 or 2Mbps. :no: Its more like 160-180kbps which is kinda ok for surfing compared to the 60-80kbps of edge.

Btw, when I called the BSNL CC, they told me that 3G speed is 384kbps. idiots !! Although my data signals get 3.5G ( should be the HSDPA 3.6Mbps I guess ).

No luck in my case so far.

I have nokia 6630 and purchased a bsnl sim today for the trial.

My phone is set in dual mode and "3g" is displayed below the network strength meter on home screen by default. There is no option to select 3g or 2g network. So maybe it is getting 3g by default. Tried various apn and only "bsnlnet" could successfully connect.

Speeds in both phone and pc are terrible. Getting speeds of 90kbps max on phone whereas with PC, I can attain speeds of around 120kbps max and not more than that. This seems to be worse than what others seem to be getting even with 2g.

Any help?

I have a BSNL SIM that i purchased on last friday. I have NULL balance in it. I called the customer care and they told that i need to recharge with either 15 or 42 or 48 to get my card in life time. Also after that how much should i recharge. Is it like, i keep balance of like 350 to 400 and then i get my GPRS active so they will cut 274 from my prepaid balance ??
Totally noob with BSNL recharges so please suggest. I may never use this card for calling so voice plans dont matter.

bought the sim, based in kolkata

whats the customer care number?

where can i do a quick recharge for the unlimited internet?is it online?

do i need minimum balance before i sms for GPRS?

where do i send my sms for GPRS? which number?

these answers will make the guide comprehensive.. thanks!!

Anubis said:
Brother , the only way to contact me is through TE and gtalk id

You can collect a BSNL 2G sim from your local exchange or any BSNL distributor in your area

I myself live in Kolkata and using this workaround for 3 months now

whats your gtalk id?

raksrules said:
I have a BSNL SIM that i purchased on last friday. I have NULL balance in it. I called the customer care and they told that i need to recharge with either 15 or 42 or 48 to get my card in life time. Also after that how much should i recharge. Is it like, i keep balance of like 350 to 400 and then i get my GPRS active so they will cut 274 from my prepaid balance ??
Totally noob with BSNL recharges so please suggest. I may never use this card for calling so voice plans dont matter.

Brothers please read the workaround carefully plz

First of all Buy a normal 2g bsnl’s sim card and keep balance 50+ rs.
now activate gprs by sending sms GPRS PRE to 53733 It will be
actrivated in 24 hours, after activation get gprs settings by calling c.care

Now do e-recharge with 230 rs (or whatever unlimited plan exists in your area)
in it, After activation You have to chnage only one thing in yor 3G enabled cell.

Go to settings>tools>settings>phone&g
t;network>network mode> now select UMTS

THEN do manual searching for network u will fing bsnl 3g network there wid small 3g logo along wid its name,select it as default

Now see your data singnals logo….. vola it is converted into 3G
You will get near about 500kbps to 1200 kbps speed
Remember use BSNLEGPRS/MTNLEGPRS or BSNLPREPAID/MTNLPREPAID as ur access point

but its 100% working
Enjoy 3G at minimum cost

I am already getting 3g sign below the network strength meter. But still getting speeds of only 120kbps. All I was hoping for speeds of around 256kbps and I would have been more than happy.

@anubis

I will do all that recharging and all tomorrow after i go back to Pune. But last friday i had put this SIM in my 5230 and changed to UMTS and it showed me 3.5G sign and full network but since my balance is NULL did not try anything.

Will report back with my findings in a couple of days.

will be getting recharges done.. sad this isnt online..
will revert by status tomorrow

@ anubis - do i have to manually use bsnl live settings?
or will the default bsnl gprs settings also work?
plz advise

@Anubis

Few queries

1. After sending the message to activate GPRS do we get any sort of return message saying that it is activated ??

2. Only activating GPRS means it is activated to pay as you use types. right ?

3. Recharging with 274 rs GPRS pack will make it unlimited one ??

4. About settings of GPRS, will the CC send me the settings (in SMS form directly yo be saved) or they will manually say and i do it myself ??

@ those who wanna try whether you get 3G speed, I'd advise you guys to use the daily plan first. Here, BSNL has 4 plans for UL surfing. One is 175/- for 30 days, 125/- for 15 days, 75/- for a week and 10/- for a day. I'll suggest to recharge the minimum amount for UL ( like 10/- for a day ) to test first whether you are successful getting 3G data speeds. :)

And to get the GPRS settings, just call the CC and ask them. They will tell you the settings ( APN name and proxy address probably ) and you are good to go. These days, you don't have to sms to activate GPRS in BSNL. :)

M@crosoft said:
i don't know when BSNL'S gonna wake up for this!

hope that they never:)

may god bless bsnl's n00bness:)

There is nothing like wakeup /sleeping/n00bs with the BSNL. Now let me explain reception of 3G network on a 2G Sim (Main reason for speed hikes with 2G tariff GPRS) Some people termed it as a secret invention:rofl:

It's video calling incoming facility which BSNL offer to customers having 2G connection. Now for the success of video call, 2G customer seeks a high bandwidth, hence the 3G network. In major circles BSNL also restricted bandwidth on a 2G connection (Maximum 350-400kbps) to prevent misuse of mandatory 3G network for video calling.

So i have recharged my bsnl card and have around 74 rupees balance. I first tried sending GPRS PRE to 53733 but it says message not delivered. So i called 123 and successfully selected option 4 for customer care and even was able to go in sub menu. But because of network issues i had to try doing this 5- 6 times. But finally i was not able to get through. So now the issue is that although it connects to 123 but as soon as i select 4 option it says "this facility is not available on my telephone " :mad: what is all this ? Any alternate way to activate gprs ?

I was able to send the sms but i have not received any confirmation msg that it will be activated in 24 hrs. May be i will try the cc tomorrow.

Back