Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

Anubis said:
What is your model no of your phone ?

Requirments - 3G phone and 3G or 2G sim. 3G network. I would preffer os9.2 phones. Because these phones have some significant features. This trick is for os 9.1 or other higher level phones which dont reboot when we change the network mode. Example-5320 xm, 5800, n95 etc n E series full.

I tried it on Nokia 5800XM, 3G is not started here in pune. I tried to use APN as mentioned in previous posts but its not connecting with that APN.

I am using this trick since last two-three months and getting speeds between 1.2MB-2.8MB which depends upon BSNL 3G signal strength. Well BSNL itself promoting this trick for high speed cheap GPRS in 3G network. If you guys want to test speed on GPRS then get 24 hour unlimited GPRS by C-Top up recharge of 22RS on a 2G BSNL sim with 3G compatible mobile / 3G data card and make network connection between System & Mobile phone(By always keeping phone as modem in USB) and for north zone APN "bsnlnet" in phone data account settings. I found direct network connection extremely stable than the GPRS dial up connection (*99# with extra initializing settings in modem properties) in the system. I am using Sony W910i mobile for this high speed cheap unlimited GPRS in 273RS monthly pack.

Here is my GPRS speed test result.

754928456.png

i just got my mtnl trump sim today , but it will be activated tommrow on monday. Will give more details tommrow after activation .

hayabusa_ryu said:
Not working here in PATNA, I can confirm this. I tried the trick both on 5800XM and windows mobile but its not working.

Guess Patna is off from the list then .

But didn't you notice the 3G symbol in Nokia 5800XM . Have you changed your Network selection to manual , and then select UTMS mode

This is what I'm getting, screenshot off my iPhone.

77364223-6e649d95faebc56b50c0e35e2087ca1f.4ba661b2-full.jpg

The access point I'm using is the same as my GPRS acess point (gprswest.cellone.in)

Let's hope this lasts! :D

yeah, I tried it as said for 5800XM like connecting first in gsm mode for gprs, connected GPRS, opened a site and then changed to umts(shows as 3.5g) without closing browser or restarting network but still getting EDGE type speed(~>30kBps).
And for Windows mobile, i set network mode in auto, i got 2g signals, opened site in GPRS mode and after some sec I got paisa deduction message with UMTS signal but speed is still the same. I wasted more than 900/- just for the trick.
I also bought a 3g sim in the process and getting 165-200kBps+ speed with that @ tariff of 1/- per mb.

Anish said:
This is what I'm getting, screenshot off my iPhone.

77364223-6e649d95faebc56b50c0e35e2087ca1f.4ba661b2-full.jpg

The access point I'm using is the same as my GPRS acess point (gprswest.cellone.in)

Let's hope this lasts! :D

Please do rep me bro if this workaround is working for you . Please Please do rep me

Come on guys , please do rep me if this workaround is working for you

So its confirmed working in Goa

Updated ( 22.03.2010 ) :

TE members using this workaround : Anubis (Kolkata) , Shripad (Mumbai) , EnigmatriX(Chennai)

Tanuj { Chandigarh , Shimla } , Anish (Goa)

hayabusa_ryu said:
yeah, I tried it as said for 5800XM like connecting first in gsm mode for gprs, connected GPRS, opened a site and then changed to umts(shows as 3.5g) without closing browser or restarting network but still getting EDGE type speed(~>30kBps).
And for Windows mobile, i set network mode in auto, i got 2g signals, opened site in GPRS mode and after some sec I got paisa deduction message with UMTS signal but speed is still the same. I wasted more than 900/- just for the trick.
I also bought a 3g sim in the process and getting 165-200kBps+ speed with that @ tariff of 1/- per mb.

Why are you changing to UMTS signal after opening browser. As I said earlier to someone also , Set Network Selection to Manual . The select UMTS mode

Then select a proper APN and then connect to the net . I think there is a communication gap somewhere in the procedure that you are following . If you agree we can chat on gmail , to recify this problem

Since 3G signal came in your mobile , then its 100% confirmed working also in Pune . Just try what I said above

I am holding status of Pune for hold for 3 weeks till someone else confirms

@ Anubis - whats the cheapest way to get a BSNL sim in Kolkata - thanks!

i dont want voice - i mean minimal voice calls and full on internet via my iphone 3gs would be perfect

Supra said:
^^ Please dont beg for reps :p
You surely deserve it but asking for it openly is just undermining your own efforts !

Alright then , I won't beg for reps . Thanks reminding me that :hap2:

I thought being frank and open was the best method .

Supra said:
^^ Please dont beg for reps :p
You surely deserve it but asking for it openly is just undermining your own efforts !

Bro , can you confirm from any of your friends who have BSNL sim whether this workaround is working in Bangalore ?

hayabusa_ryu said:

Bad Luck, Well in some of BSNL areas they have implemented a data restriction code on 2G Sims, that's why maximum speed with a 2G sim on 3G network is ~30kBps. Still not bad as its unlimited connection at 250/- only. See you could get 165~200kBps with a 3G Sim, means there is nothing to do with phone settings. Once BSNL removes that restriction code, you will be able to get enhanced speed of 3G network with a 2G sim. Many areas in Punjab also have this restriction.

hey i am using kolkata bsnl 3g sim
no 3g signal at my place (using 3.5g enabled nokia 6220c)
can anyone tell the region in kolkata with 3g signal
plz help :(

@babhishek
u can get prepaid bsnl 3g sim for 60/- plus a recharge of 120/- gives 20/- talktime & 6 mnths validity
i bought one myself a few days back from local shop

virus32win said:
Bad Luck, Well in some of BSNL areas they have implemented a data restriction code on 2G Sims, that's why maximum speed with a 2G sim on 3G network is ~30kBps. Still not bad as its unlimited connection at 250/- only. See you could get 165~200kBps with a 3G Sim, means there is nothing to do with phone settings. Once BSNL removes that restriction code, you will be able to get enhanced speed of 3G network with a 2G sim. Many areas in Punjab also have this restriction.

I also think so. I have a windows mobile. And in the list of preferred network I get both 2g and 3g BSNL Networks(searching manually) in which 2g is already ticked(using/selected), but when I untick 2g and tick 3g network and move it to the top in the list of preferred network i still get 2g network with UMTS signal with again 2g ticked and 3g unticked automatically. This verifies that 3g data access on 2g sim is restricted. :mad:
But I again try today with 5800XM last time to finally confirm this.

dasgupta_arup said:
hey i am using kolkata bsnl 3g sim
no 3g signal at my place (using 3.5g enabled nokia 6220c)
can anyone tell the region in kolkata with 3g signal
plz help :(

@babhishek
u can get prepaid bsnl 3g sim for 60/- plus a recharge of 120/- gives 20/- talktime & 6 mnths validity
i bought one myself a few days back from local shop

Tollygunge

Finally today evening approached BSNL office close to my office for the 3G connection. The counter clerk asked for an application along with attested identity proof. Fed up, went straight to the SDE in the same office and she gave me a white paper to write an application while she configured the phone settings. By the time I wrote it, got a message in the phone saying that 3G is activated.(3.5G to be exact) Then she tested the phone by calling etc. Everything was over in a matter of minutes and no identity proof was asked for. When asked for a 3G SIM she said it is not yet available here for post paid customers. (3G has been operational here for more than one month)

Finally, when I reached my residence which is about two kilometers away, the signal strength is low and often switches to GSM.

janitha said:
Finally today evening approached BSNL office close to my office for the 3G connection. The counter clerk asked for an application along with attested identity proof. Fed up, went straight to the SDE in the same office and she gave me a white paper to write an application while she configured the phone settings. By the time I wrote it, got a message in the phone saying that 3G is activated.(3.5G to be exact) Then she tested the phone by calling etc. Everything was over in a matter of minutes and no identity proof was asked for. When asked for a 3G SIM she said it is not yet available here for post paid customers. (3G has been operational here for more than one month)

Finally, when I reached my residence which is about two kilometers away, the signal strength is low and often switches to GSM.

So its confirmed working in Kerela too . As I told you earlier , signal strength and distance of your house from your exchange or tower , plays a key role in this workaround

Awesome news guys . Keep the feedbacks coming . I am so glad , that I have got so many feedbacks here

Updated ( 22.03.2010 ) :

TE members using this workaround : Anubis (Kolkata) , Shripad (Mumbai) , EnigmatriX(Chennai)

Tanuj { Chandigarh , Shimla } , Anish (Goa) , janitha (Kerela)

i am probably too lazy to post here:p
using the 2G sim with a micromax data card for around 1 mnth:)

DOWNLOAD speedz are rocckin and upload speeds suck..suck..suck:mad::mad:
i suppose it's a part of BSNL'S craziness:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Back