Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

ok thanks :)

How did u get the GPRS activated. You sent some sms or had to call CC ?

Ok just sent "GPRSPRE" to 53733....got a msg saying "Your message for activation of GPRS is received and under process. Wait for confirmation SMS- BSNL Mobile"...so how long does it take ?

Supra said:
So did you send the same thing to get it activated and it took less than 24 hrs for u ? Or did u have to call CC ?

I did the same thing as you. I am not able to contact the customer care at all for some reason :-[

i m trying this trick. getting a speed of 70-80 KBps.

but it goes to zero bytes recieved after few min. while downloading alone and have to manually disconnect and connect after every other 5 min .

but it dosent happen if i browse.

any one having this same problem ?Any solution to it.:huh:

^^ I initially has the problem that on laptop as soon as i started utorrent, it would disconnect but yesterday it was fine. I even went out for an hour keeping the phone connected to my laptop and utorrent on and it was still working when i came back.

Even as i type this, my phone is besides me and downloading at 1 Mbps+ speeds on my phone using symtorrent without any disconnection.

Well my GPRS just got activated and guess what on Edge (GPRS) I am able to browse using bsnlet/gprssouth.cellone.in APN but when I change the mode to UMTS in Phone , I am not able to catch any 3G signal...the signal just comes for a sec and goes away to no network. Of course there is 3G network in this area as I have a 3G sim which works fine in UMTS (3.5G) mode in my Nokia 5230 :mad:

Also tried out my dad's 2G sim card (which is in Roaming mode ) which is a postpaid 750 plan(free unlimited GPRS) and I can get 3G network on that :mad:....now this is annoying I just can't the 3G working on the 2G Sim which I gt locally :mad:....is it locked or something ?

Supra said:
Well my GPRS just got activated and guess what on Edge (GPRS) I am able to browse using bsnlet/gprssouth.cellone.in APN but when I change the mode to UMTS in Phone , I am not able to catch any 3G signal...the signal just comes for a sec and goes away to no network. Of course there is 3G network in this area as I have a 3G sim which works fine in UMTS (3.5G) mode in my Nokia 5230 :mad:

Also tried out my dad's 2G sim card (which is in Roaming mode ) which is a postpaid 750 plan(free unlimited GPRS) and I can get 3G network on that :mad:....now this is annoying I just can't the 3G working on the 2G Sim which I gt locally :mad:....is it locked or something ?

That is really weird that one 2G SIM able to receive 3G signals and another not :S

amit.mastermind said:
can u get 3g signal in standby, i mean without any connection active.

Yeah try this.
On a side note, here in my office where i sit, BSNL 2G signals are good but as soon as i change the mode to UMTS the signal drops to one bar or sometimes no signal and then it shows 3G below (which means no signal) so it need not be necessary that if normal 2G signals are good then 3G ought to be good.

No I am not able to get 3G in standby also after rebooting nd stuff. So migrated to 3G now on 2G sim by sending sms MG3G120 . Once I can browse uising 3G will migrate back to 2G plan and then try to access :p

Btw @ rakrules---how did u do the 274 recharge....online or shop ? I am not able to do it via ngpay :(

^ After migration to 3G that 274 recharge for GPRS won't work. This plan applicable to 2G connections only. Try to fix 3G signal on 2G then do the recharge by shop.

Supra said:
Btw @ rakrules---how did u do the 274 recharge....online or shop ? I am not able to do it via ngpay :(

For the 274 recharge you will need to go to a shopkeeper and the one who recharges using his BSNL mobile and not through some top up card. Because such custom amounts can only be recharged through the phone.

Ngpay also wont help so not bother with it.

Ya trying to fix the 3G signal with a 2G prepaid plan active. Once that is done will do the Rs 274 recharge from a BSNL Shoppe

Well first migrated to 3G plan using 2G sim and then caught 3G signal successfully...then migrated back to 2G plan....and guess what not able to catch 3G signal :mad:

So I guess this loop hole is blocked in Bangalore :mad::mad:

Supra said:
Ya trying to fix the 3G signal with a 2G prepaid plan active. Once that is done will do the Rs 274 recharge from a BSNL Shoppe

Well first migrated to 3G plan using 2G sim and then caught 3G signal successfully...then migrated back to 2G plan....and guess what not able to catch 3G signal :mad:

Lodge a complaint in local exchange that you are unable to receive video calls because of the unavailable 3G network.

Incoming video call facility allowed to 2G customers with 3G enabled handsets will continue to be allowed until further order.

:: BSNL 3G :: Tariff

Supra said:

And moreover you cant recharge for 274 in bangalore. If you call CC, and ask about GPRS unlimited plan for prepaid..they will say nothing is there like that...and if you ask what is STV 274 option..then they will say..Yes thats for unlimited GPRS for prepaid:mad: and they will say, that we've to go CSC for recharging this. So far 5 times i've been CSC, but all the times they didnt have any information on this :(.

I will be in Mumbai over the weekend, will i be able to use this on MTNL 3G network without being charged any roaming fees for accessing GPRS outside my home network ?

Edit: Not getting any 3.5G signals in office at the moment, not even in open area. Hopefully the problem is temporary :(

Back