Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

ivan1525 said:
wow... 20mb/s is your download speed... we dont have such fast internet here in serbia...

Did you actually see what he has written ???? :hellno:

Where do you see 20 mbps ??? :S

PS: Can anyone using the bsnl_gprs_west access point tell me whether you are able to use the GPRS ?? I am still not able to use it. Is it because of the downtime from BSNL end or actually things have screwed up from my side or may be because i am in Mumbai on dolphin (in roaming) and hence not able to access. This is really frustrating.

raksrules said:
PS: Can anyone using the bsnl_gprs_west access point tell me whether you are able to use the GPRS ?? I am still not able to use it. Is it because of the downtime from BSNL end or actually things have screwed up from my side or may be because i am in Mumbai on dolphin (in roaming) and hence not able to access. This is really frustrating.

try bsnlnet as apn

downtime doesn't last this long usually.

amit.mastermind said:
try bsnlnet as apn

+1 stop using east west north south settings

the bsnlnet setting works

another update:
speeds are really bad
today i pluged in my docomo postpaid sim in the phone and browsed
the docomo edge speeds are faster than so called 3g of bsnl!

babhishek said:
+1 stop using east west north south settings

the bsnlnet setting works

another update:
speeds are really bad
today i pluged in my docomo postpaid sim in the phone and browsed
the docomo edge speeds are faster than so called 3g of bsnl!

here(north, punjab) 3g speeds are really 3g speeds. edge is nowhere close to it. btw, bsnl edge sucks big time since the launch of 3g.

amit.mastermind said:
try bsnlnet as apn

Ok i will try this.

Btw, is the APN name bsnlnet like my current one is gprswest.cellone.in

Asking this because currrently in my 5230, the connection name is

bsnl_gprs_west (or bsnl_west_gprs, dont remember)

and APN is gprswest.cellone.in

I guess connection name really does not matter. But i still i tried replacing gprswest.cellone.in with bsnlnet and no success :(

I need to contact the CC once i am back in Maharashtra and Goa circle.

yes, connection name doesnt matter only apn. And no proxy etc. Every thing except apn should be blank.
If it didnt work for u, then only cc can help, of which the chances are acute.

Downtime in borivali for 3g is from a long time for users of bsnl on mtnl on 3g. One of my friends was getting lower speeds than edge on his phone. So he chucked the idea. He is using now reliance and docomo for his mobile internet.(so am i)

1st one is dedicated 3g

2nd one is backward compatible and can be used for edge/gprs when 3g is unavailable...

1st one is dedicated 3g

2nd one is backward compatible and can be used for edge/gprs when 3g is unavailable...

Ok guys i am sort of now convinced about one thing...it seems BSNL has blocked GPRS access as well as customer care access for me :mad:

GPRS as i mentioned is not working at all.

Another problem is that when i dial the customer care 123, the 4th option is for customer care, when i press that i get that tone (tick tick tick) similar to the one which we get before a number is dialed (in landlines) and then i get "Yeh suvida aapke phone par maujud nahi hai"...WTH :mad::mad:

Seems i am now carrying a dummy BSNL card with me :(

Is there any BSNL customer care number i can dial from my office landline. Any resolution to my issues ?? :sos:

I have 56 rupees balance in my account, is that a problem ?

Dialing the number 9400024365 from landline gives me wrong number and dialing from mobile gives that "all lines in this route are busy"

Edit: EDGE connectivity restored :)
Not sure how it happened, because just an Hour back i sent a complaint email to Pune nodal officer

hmmm

well atleast you saw some speeds there!!

i am stuck with 15kBps max 3G

sighhhhh!!!!

guys - will the 3g dongle improve things at all?

else no point making this investment!!!

babhishek said:
hmmm
well atleast you saw some speeds there!!
i am stuck with 15kBps max 3G

sighhhhh!!!!

guys - will the 3g dongle improve things at all?
else no point making this investment!!!

Do not make any such investment unless it is confirmed that it is working for you.

In my case, even if i am not able to get 3G speeds i will still continue with BSNL since its speeds at my home are better than airtel because of close proximity to BSNL tower.
If i get 3G (yet to test after that downtime), then even better.

raksrules said:
Do not make any such investment unless it is confirmed that it is working for you.

In my case, even if i am not able to get 3G speeds i will still continue with BSNL since its speeds at my home are better than airtel because of close proximity to BSNL tower.
If i get 3G (yet to test after that downtime), then even better.

I am waiting for 3G to come across all networks to make a suitable investment in my phone(3.5G or later phone). dont want the hit and miss technique in 3G
as for edge connection i suggest you get tata docomo or reliance GSM the speeds are very good atleast in mumbai (EDGE):hap2:

^^ Currently i am sticking to BSNL first because its tower is like just in front of my home so i get good speeds. Moreover, this 3G stuff is an advantageous thing.

At this moment when i have my phone in dual mode, it is showing me 3.5G signal but i cannot connect to internet. No error as such but only connecting comes, but when i switch mode to GSM, it connects properly yo internet. :S

Not sure what the issue is.

Edit: In my office 3.5G is working fine. Hope this 3G issue is resolved in my home area soon. GPRS/EDGE speeds look pony in front of that.

Finally things have started rolling again. Getting proper 3.5G signals at my home area. Net is working on PC also with speeds upto 3 Mbps :eek:hyeah:

Just that the one tower near my office is screwed up and i dont get 3.5G signals from there, but other tower in other part of office (bit far), from there signal comes rarely. But i am content it is working at my home.

^^ where do u stay buddy in pune? And this 3G thing u are talking about is working in pune or mumbai? (according to what u are saying).Did u recharge with 274 Rs, and from where, roadside shop? Becoz BSNL tele exchange does not even know about this 274Rs plan for prepaid users. Please reply soon i am eagerly, madly waiting for positive reply.

Harpy.eagle said:
^^ where do u stay buddy in pune?

I stay in Aundh

And this 3G thing u are talking about is working in pune or mumbai? (according to what u are saying).

I checked in Pune (Aundh area and Hinjewadi area and in between. I can say so because yesterday i had kept a torrent to download through symtorrent and it was still downloading till i reached home from Hinjewadi to Aundh..covering areas like wakad, jagtap dairy, etc

I will check it in Mumbai this weekend. Last weekend BSNL GPRS service was entirely down so could not check.

Did u recharge with 274 Rs, and from where, roadside shop? Becoz BSNL tele exchange does not even know about this 274Rs plan for prepaid users. Please reply soon i am eagerly, madly waiting for positive reply.

Forget the BSNL exchange, just go to nearby shop and first recharge your card to get balance above 50 and then after that activate your GPRS (SEND GPRSPRE to 53733 and after the activation (confirm by accessing google once, mind you your money will be cut from main balance). Then go to any roadside shop with through phone recharge (no card recharge) and tell them to recharge for 274. Ignore if he says aaisa recharge nahi hai and all. Just do it. Your balance wont increase but you will now have unlimited GPRS. Check balance, access some websites, check balance again, it wont be reduced.

^^ great, thanks for quick and detailed reply. And i guess u bought this sim recently becoz in some post in this thread i remember reading that old 2G sims have better chance of getting 3G sims.

Thansk again.

Back