Workaround to use BSNL 3G at the cost of Normal GPRS

But yesterday i read an ad in times of India Pune which said that you need to just send some SMS to some 5 digit number to convert your existing 2G SIM to 3G so i guess it should not be an issue. Moreover i was anyways able to access 3G network on my non-converted 2G SIM (Long gone are the days :cry: :cry:)

Also with 3G you should expect speeds ranging from 500kbps (60kBps approx) to 3 Mbps (375kBps approx).

An issue from my side:

In my 5230, when i keep it in dual mode still i get the 3.5G sign and full signal as expected but it fails to connect to internet at that time too. I mean not even normal EDGE connects. But when i switch the phone mode back to GSM it connects fine :S

Any reason why ?

Asking since i am just assuming that when my phone will be in dual mode but internet still working in EDGE mode, i may still manage to get better (if not 3G) speeds rather than GSM Mode - EDGE combination.

raksrules said:
An issue from my side:

In my 5230, when i keep it in dual mode still i get the 3.5G sign and full signal as expected but it fails to connect to internet at that time too. I mean not even normal EDGE connects. But when i switch the phone mode back to GSM it connects fine :S

Any reason why ?

Asking since i am just assuming that when my phone will be in dual mode but internet still working in EDGE mode, i may still manage to get better (if not 3G) speeds rather than GSM Mode - EDGE combination.
Did you try experimenting with different APN in 3G mode? (bsnlnet/gprseast.cellone.in)

smnrock said:
Did you try experimenting with different APN in 3G mode? (bsnlnet/gprseast.cellone.in)
I tried the following access points with my phone in UMTS mode

gprseast.cellone.in

gprssouth.cellone.in

gprsnorth.cellone.in

gprswest.cellone.in (This one was working and is sort of default as i am located in west zone, used to get 3G speeds with this)

bsnlnet (never worked)

I also tried bsnlnet in GSM mode and it connects fine to GPRS/EDGE network but speeds are not that good vis-a-vis the gprswest.cellone.in :(

PS: Any who can start my 3G again deserves a treat from me :p

with bsnl you can never be sure of what exactly happens... in the backend - i would personally prefer a 3g sim from scratch

not technical - just for complete peace of mind...

Guys something i tried and it worked.
I am currently in Mumbai on dolphin network. I was accessing normal edge. So i opened operamini and tech enclave. Then minimized it and changed phone mode to UMTS . For a moment a stroke came over those arrows and as soon as it picked 3g connectivity net continued. So now am getting 3g speeds. I tried something similar in my home network and it did not work there :(

amit.mastermind said:
if u can continue net by switching the mode(when ur net is still active), then u should be able to initiate the connection as well.
But i suppose this did not work when i was in my home network (Pune) but did work in Mumbai

Ok Guys here is morning update.

I am currently on MTNL Mumbai Dolphin network using my BSNL Pune SIM in roaming. Currently the way i am using this on computer is that i connect to EDGE network with my phone connected to laptop, then i immediately change the mode to UMTS and voila 3G starts working on laptop. But the connection is highly unstable and disconnects after like 5 min or so, so i need to follow the above process again. But touchwood for last half an hour connection is stable and my torrent is getting downloaded at around 1Mbps speed.

But i am really skeptical whether this thing will work in Pune or not. Since last tried it did not work (where i need it the most)

But yesterday evening as i last posted the above post i was travelling in bus towards Mumbai and then symtorrent was downloading at around 1.3 Mbps types speeds (but that too on MTNL Dolphin network)

Guys i just received a message today saying that old access points will not be working after 8th June and they send some new access points.

don't know about BSNL but MTNL 3G unlimited recharge of 2.5k shows only 100GB free data limit though its nowhere mentioned.

Supra said:
faak tried out in a 7.2 HSDPA dongle my 3G Sim....it gaves speeds of like 700 ~ 800 KB/s :O...downloaded 500MB in 12 min !!
If the speeds are like this I do not mind at all to pay and try out for a mnth spending 2.5k !
sabby said:
So we can get wireless 6Mbps UL @2.5k and can't get a wired 2Mbps @1k-1.5k !!

Weird India. :(

Guys something that worked in Mumbai on my Pune BSNL SIM is not working in Pune. :S

Any particular reason ?

1. I connect to normal EDGE network and i get those 2 hard lined arrows under network bar with E sign.

2. I navigate to settings -> connectivity -> network -> and change mode from GSM to UMTS

3. The network goes down and i have a cross over that connectivity icon and when 3.5G network comes the cross goes with my network being persistent.

4. Now i get 3G speeds.

Here at step 3 in Pune my internet just disconnects and the same does not happen in Mumbai, there the connection remains persistent. :S

Ok so finally this trick is dead for me...I am not gonna recharge with 274 rupees, going back to my airtel EDGE at Rs 98 per month (almost 1/3rd cost). :(

raksrules said:
Ok so finally this trick is dead for me...I am not gonna recharge with 274 rupees, going back to my airtel EDGE at Rs 98 per month (almost 1/3rd cost). :(
You can try buying SIM in mumbai and use in pune(roaming) :D

smnrock said:
You can try buying SIM in mumbai and use in pune(roaming) :D
Not possible actually since Mumbai does not have BSNL.

Any one else for whom 3G is not working in home network and believes it will work in roaming (i do believe it) is welcome to exchange his SIM card with me :p

Does MTNL have any unlimited GPRS plan and can be used in roaming also without any extra charge ?

Because when i checked its website there seems to be charges for using GPRS in roaming :(

I read a few posts before and it seems that roaming sims will do the trick. So what all state roaming sims can i opt for ??

Important thing is that if i am able to get it working, then the 274 rs recharge should also be available there.

PS: Sorry for double post, i thought it will automerge :ashamed:

Back