Xiaomi Redmi 1S goes on sale on Flipkart for Rs. 5999

got the delivery yesterday and while initial install and update it did get uncomfortably warm.
but after than use is reasonably smooth and am happier with this over my nokia 720.

usually have the following running on my phone.
1. whatapp
2. hangout
3. gmail
4. gmaps
5. cisco webex
6. cisco jabber
7. kindle
8. default browser
9. 2048
launcher is the default launcher.

Free memory is around 100mb most of the times.
did not encounter reloads of the webpage on the browser.

get this phone only if you like miui. am new to it and i reasonably like it.
i feel the phone is pretty smooth at the price range and completely value for money.

Yep same here, free memory is around 100mb, can confirm.

Sorry for the OT - but Led Zep Rocks!

Anyhoo, is everyone on the same firmware? Seems the available RAM varies a lot from piece to piece. iGyaan review said about 300mb is available. Gogi said about 400mb. But he did mention issues with the s/w & especially the camera app. I'm assuming both the reviewers reviewed with the stock apps.
On this thread here, people seem to be reporting about 200mb to 100mb of RAM available. So what gives?

When you do a fresh boot the phone has around 350-400 mb free ram, then as you start opening and closing apps it goes down and never crosses the 200 mb mark.

Sorry for the OT - but Led Zep Rocks!

Anyhoo, is everyone on the same firmware? Seems the available RAM varies a lot from piece to piece. iGyaan review said about 300mb is available. Gogi said about 400mb. But he did mention issues with the s/w & especially the camera app. I'm assuming both the reviewers reviewed with the stock apps.
On this thread here, people seem to be reporting about 200mb to 100mb of RAM available. So what gives?

there is a option to keep the launcher in memory. figure i reported include that option being on and the apps listed being installed a running.

EDIT - can you try playing music form 8tracks or gaana and then going into the camera app to see if the either of the apps crash? thanks.

Confirming this brother, while playing a song from gaana app, and then going into camera app and clicking a photo (with absolutely no apps running in the background other than the screen recorder app) doesnt stop the music in background.

I dont have many apps installed. The screen recording itself makes most of the phones slow and lag (depending on the quality of the recording). The recording in my case is of a pretty low quality, and the phone itself did not lag that much, it was just that the recording is it at 10fps. :meh:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amxlaetkiur2rpe/SCR_20140912_143038.mp4?dl=0

^^This is the video. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1410514587][/DOUBLEPOST]Point to note, with the camera, ganna and screen recorder app running, my phone has about 150mb ram free.

Last edited:
Confirming this brother, while playing a song from gaana app, and then going into camera app and clicking a photo (with absolutely no apps running in the background other than the screen recorder app) doesnt stop the music in background.

I dont have many apps installed. The screen recording itself makes most of the phones slow and lag (depending on the quality of the recording). The recording in my case is of a pretty low quality, and the phone itself did not lag that much, it was just that the recording is it at 10fps. :meh:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amxlaetkiur2rpe/SCR_20140912_143038.mp4?dl=0

^^This is the video. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1410514587][/DOUBLEPOST]Point to note, with the camera, ganna and screen recorder app running, my phone has about 150mb ram free.

You know the funny thing is, the music playback crash goes away when I reboot the phone and it has 400 mb of RAM available, But once it goes down below 150 MB. No matter how many times I free up the RAM it keeps crashing some apps

Seems like the only solution is to keep rebooting the phone or just stop multi-tasking with chrome (which takes over 100mb) and other apps like the camera which also cause performance issues.

It looks like the software isn't optimized at all, there are constant memory leaks hindering even the basic functionality .

This is not a good news from Xiaomi point of view
where company claims they have tested phones lakhs of time in different scenario

I call bullshit too. The phone is actually in testing right now. However from my sources, the latest version in testing within a very small group(not even the testing group) has recieved an update today that pretty much solves all these problems. They should have waited till all the kinks were ironed out.

So i take it zibalingz isn't the only member facing issues?
While there are complaints on the miui forums & elsewhere, I presume that is the case for almost every phone, i.e. a quick google will always throw up issues with any make/model. Which is why I didn't give it much thought when someone mentioned it earlier.

Begs the question whether the Redmi Note then will be a safer bet given that it has 2gigs? Or is the s/w as messed up on even that?

My friend received one yesterday.Proximity n light sensor not working.
Lot of complaints posted in the MI India page.
Now I am scared.:eek:
10 Phones Booked for members here.
6 already received.Hope all are working fine.

Without offending anyone here I state again that xaiomi is just another Chinese phone and mi os is still not very stable . Their hardware can be compared to xolo , lava , karbonn etc not Samsung , Microsoft , Motorola who test their phones for hardware and software stability and reliability before releasing them in the market .

^ lol!! Its not Xiaomi, its MI! Where is this comparison coming from ? Your loyalty to Motorola!
It might be just another Chinese company, they even are spying on you, Moto too is in the hands of the Chinese FYI!

No sir I own various Samsung (s3 ,s4, note) too , just that my Chinese OEM phone (Micromax canvas a110 ) failed twice within warranty and now that warranty is over it has stopped working , whereas my older galaxy y and Samsung Monte is going strong , all I say is these Chinese phone makers do not test their phones enough but when Samsung , Motorola , Nokia make their phones in China they test them extensively and then release them in the market .
@abracadabra
BTW Xaiomi is the name of the manufacturer and mi is their OS and redmi 1s is the name of the phone .

Back