ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Hmmm interesting, will read up some more on this. I was always killing the extra processes which were running.

So which ROM is the best so far? im currently on r11 on one phone and RLS8 on another. Both seem to be fine so far, no major differences. Only the contact photo problem exists on r11 as mentioned by universal. One more issue with r11 is that it comes with wavesecure which cannot be uninstalled

And im haivng an issue with Titanium backup, it isn't working properly. I tried to make a backup of all my apps and it gets stuck after reaching a certain position, like 60% or even 2% once! Im not able to make a backup of my apps.

Titanium free version is known to hang frequently. Get the Titanium Pro. Which brings me to my next query. How do we backup paid applications? I mean, the paid apps, what happens when we flash a new ROM that requires a complete disk wipe and cache wipe?

^ I think you can still install them after logging in using Google account. The purchased apps remain tied to the Google account used to log in, not sure though.

You can backup your paid installed application by backing up the apk file, found in data/app folder. You can use root explorer to copy and paste to sdcard.

logistopath said:
Titanium free version is known to hang frequently. Get the Titanium Pro. Which brings me to my next query. How do we backup paid applications? I mean, the paid apps, what happens when we flash a new ROM that requires a complete disk wipe and cache wipe?
All paid applications are automatically linked with your gmail account.

After you flash the rom and link the same gmail account,download and install the applications that you paid for free.

for removing application like wavesecure,titanium backup or any other system/stock app.

what u need is fastboot.zip (is the same rooting files needed for installation of clockwork).

Extract files to C:\fastboot or other path and point Command promt to extracted directory path. (in my case its C:\fastboot> )

This is simple procedure to remove or move system/stock applications.

MAKE SURE WHAT YOU ARE REMOVING.

In following example i am moving WAVE SECURE application to SD card.

1.Boot in to recovery mode.

2.now mount /system , two ways you can do it

• by recovery menu , mount and storage > mount /system (same will applicable to /sdcard and /sd-ext partition)
  • adb-windows.exe shell mount /system

3.List the apk files

adb-windows.exe shell ls /system/app/

4. You can either REMOVE or MOVE unwanted APK.

• to remove -->

adb-windows.exe shell rm /system/app/com.wsandroid.apk
  • to move to SD card -->

adb-windows.exe shell mount /sdcard

adb-windows.exe shell mkdir /sdcard/system-app-backup

adb-windows.exe shell mv /system/app/com.wsandroid.apk /sdcard/system-app-backup

5. Remove / Move as many app u want .

adb-windows shell ls /system/app/

adb-windows shell ls /sdcard/system-app-backup

So finally which is the best ROM to use so far? Im not completely satisfied with r11. My brother is on JJ RLS9 and it seems to be good too. Im sure r12 will solve all or most issues with r11 and its going to be out soon apparently. Lets hope for the best.

Finally got 3G activated today. Just wanted some quick tips. I can save battery life by switching to 2G when i am not surfing correct? I can put a widget on the home screen which will let me switch between 2G/3G. What do you guys think?

Also how do i measure data use? I have activated the 2 GB plan and with the extra charges being the way they are i sure as hell dont want to go over. Couldnt find any option in the settings menu to check data transfer (running r11). What should i use?

Battery life seems to be pretty decent with the r11 ROM, after i switched my Airtel sim to the San francisco, earlier had my Idea sim in it. The idea signal at office is terrible, so battery was draining quite a bit even though i wasnt using it that much.

With the Airtel sim and 3G enabled almost on all day, and then wifi switched on after 7pm when i got home, phone has fallen from 98% at 8 am to 39% now. Usage included around 10 minutes of calls, abt 10 SMS's, 20 min of angry birds, 30-40 min of surfing(just fb and mail, no video streaming), 5 speed tests, 5 min of GPS usage, and a bit of general playing around with the phone(10-20 min). I know its not brilliant but it will do for me. Will calibrate the phone tomorrow or day after as i think there is still some more battery life to be gained.

^ I have noticed the same, I got my number ported from vodafone to airtel, and the battery backup has shot up, my phone is up with no charge and its more than 36 hours and the battery still stands at 65%. well the usage was pretty minimal - calls for 60 mins, no games, 30 mins wifi.

Edit: I am on JJ RSL11

Guys I've noticed something, at times when Edge is active and I'm using the internet and a call comes in, my phone would reboot.

This doesn't happen very often but it does happen once every 2-3days and sometimes more frequently. Has anyone else faced such an issue before?

PS - This happened across a few firmware's.

^^^me to, i flashed to JJ RLS9, today morning and my phone has rebooted when i get a call or make a call..it doesn't happen always..i think due to Edge activity..will try out again tomorrow.

universal said:
for removing application like wavesecure,titanium backup or any other system/stock app.
what u need is fastboot.zip (is the same rooting files needed for installation of clockwork).
Extract files to C:\fastboot or other path and point Command promt to extracted directory path. (in my case its C:\fastboot> )

This is simple procedure to remove or move system/stock applications.
MAKE SURE WHAT YOU ARE REMOVING.
In following example i am moving WAVE SECURE application to SD card.

1.Boot in to recovery mode.

2.now mount /system , two ways you can do it
3.List the apk files

4. You can either REMOVE or MOVE unwanted APK.
  • to remove -->
  • to move to SD card -->

5. Remove / Move as many app u want .
OR

You can install titanium backup and backup and uninstall whatever you want from the cell itself.

Only the pro version allows backup history (that is you can add more than 1 backup of same app) But this shouldn't be any problem for most of the apps.
As for those who re keep on updating the ROMs as soon as they are released..
It can be a hard job to setup your phone with all the apps all over again..
Titanium Backup keeps a backup on sd and when you install the titanium backup on new rom, it shows you backup from it's folder on SD..so this is a helpful method for them.

Those who want to go advanced...
You can modify the ROM to include these apps which you want to have always.. Especially some things that one may have to install via recovery.

The process is in 4 steps:
Unpack ROM.zip
Add Files (to respective locations)
Pack the ROM.zip
Sign The ROM.zip

You guys will require android sdk for this, as well signing files.
interested?

Sorry for too much OT :p
i will create topic on modifying now :p

Back