ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

madnav said:
1. Did you wipe data/cache before/after flashing?
A. Do so if not.

2. Do you have App2sd set up?
A. You need to format sd-ext after moving to next release whenever you flash if so.

Note: Give 5minutes for 1st boot up. It can take that much time.

OK, Any pointers on what to do next would be appreciated.
From where do I delete data/cache? Sorry for the n00b questions.
And wtf is sd-ext? I noticed that my current backup has no sd-ext data (so it says "skipping sd-ext" backup since no sd-ext data found, not so sure what it means)

I gave it 30 mins for booting up, I had installed JJ9 right on the orange/default installation and not on any custom rom install.

Any pointers on what to do next would be appreciated!

Madnav, did you mean that I need to wipe user data and cache partition in clockwork before installing another rom?
Also, I tried mounting sd-ext but got an error, what is this sd-ext thingy? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Darthcoder said:
OK, Any pointers on what to do next would be appreciated.

From where do I delete data/cache? Sorry for the n00b questions.

And wtf is sd-ext? I noticed that my current backup has no sd-ext data (so it says "skipping sd-ext" backup since no sd-ext data found, not so sure what it means)

I gave it 30 mins for booting up, I had installed JJ9 right on the orange/default installation and not on any custom rom install.

Any pointers on what to do next would be appreciated!

Madnav, did you mean that I need to wipe user data and cache partition in clockwork before installing another rom?

Also, I tried mounting sd-ext but got an error, what is this sd-ext thingy? Any guidance would be appreciated.
sd-ext is the partition on sd card for App2sd (allows to move applications to sd card)

But this needs to be setup from clockwork recovery. Don't worry if you haven't. It wouldn't matter in that case.

Yes, you need to wipe data/cache from clockwork recovery before/after flashing JapJelly RLS9 (unless your previous ROM is JapJelly RLS8...which is not the case)

what is the capacity of your sd card? If it has ample amount then setting up add2sd would be beneficial.

As fo ZTE Blade owner...

:hap2: :) CynogenMod is finally landed for ZTE Blade. the biggest obstacle with developing custom ROMs has cleared (RIL). We shall see many ports of different famous ROMs very soon.. for eg. MIUI, Sense etc

I moved to FLB r7a yesterday and today r8 got released :lol: This one looks good so far. Was using the JJF RLS9 previously.

Saiyan said:
I moved to FLB r7a yesterday and today r8 got released :lol: This one looks good so far. Was using the JJF RLS9 previously.
i have been anticipating RLS10 for JJ.

but now i will only switch to cynogenMod.

app2sd and a2sd are two different thing.

2.2 supports A2SD by default.

where as app2sd moves application to fat partition no need for ext partition.

universal said:
app2sd and a2sd are two different thing.

2.2 supports A2SD by default.

where as app2sd moves application to fat partition no need for ext partition.
I only meant to point Applications on SD feature built in froyo and not any other way.

this must be A2SD that i have been referring to.

Ok guys so my ZTE blade has arrived and i am not sure what version of firmware i have.

In about device i see "2.1-update1" under firmware version and under settings -> about firmware i see "de-oranged r8"

I have also been reading all pages of this thread and am feeling so much confused with lots of technical information on previous pages. Here are my set of questions. Please answer them (whatever you can).

1. Which is the best 2.2 ROM i should install ? JJ or R11 ?? Pros and Cons of each ?

2. A credible link and steps for the download and install. I need the most simplest tutorial and least risk.

3. Possible screw ups i have to avoid.

4. Do apps by default install on phone memory or SD card ? How do i verify where any current app (say opera mini) is installed ?

5. Read A2SD,M2SD etc, seems some phone application to ensure all apps install on SD card ?? Am i right ? Please explain in detail.

6. Does the FM radio still work well after updating to JJ or R11 2.2 version ?

More questions will come later...

Thanks in advance

^^ Rather than directly giving out the answers....I prefer you go to the Modaco forums and read around a bit to understand what you are doing ! Not always everything goes on as planned so its better you do a bit of reading for a day or two before gng forward.

What you have on ur phone is the stripped Orange stock 2.1 Eclair ROM which is quite good at speed for initial use :)

Anyways to help you :

1. Best ROM --- FLB G2 r8a(flb-froyo-blade-r8a.zip), use gingerbread theme(gbthemepack-flb-froyo-r8a.zip) on top of that.

Thread Link : [ROM][OLED+TFT] FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade - Android @ MoDaCo

2. Step by Step

First Install Astro File manager from Market and check MD5 checksums of all what you downloaded.

a) --- Install ZTE Recover Manager 0.32b...take a backup of ur current firmware.Then install Clockwork recovery 3.0.0.5 image for booting into recovery. Then install firmware by transferring the above downloaded zip file (flb-froyo-blade-r8a.zip) and choosing it in ZTE recovery manager

[APP] ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager v0.32 [BETA] - Android @ MoDaCo

[RECOVERY] 3.0.0.5: ClockworkMod Recovery for ZTE Blade [OLED+TFT] - Android @ MoDaCo

b) after booting with new firmware go into recovery mode (with help of zte recovery manager) and click apply update from sdcard --- choose zip file ---- gbthemepack-flb-froyo-r8a.zip

3. Screwups--- Post here :rofl:

4. you can check in settings > APP manager.

5. A2SD is there by default on FLB G2 r8a. you can move via settings > APP manager.

6. FM radio is there on FLB G2

Is FLB r8a that good? Will try it out tomorrow and post back. Any known issues?

Btw does Wifi tethering work fine on all ROM's?

varkey said:
Has anyone tried using a proxy for internet access? I was shocked to see that there was no option to enter a proxy server anywhere! :O I need to use a proxy to access my college wifi network. Tried Transparent Proxy from xda but it doesn't seem to work, atleast for me.

So has anyone got it working, if yes please post the steps! :) :)

Anybody? :ashamed:

varkey said:
Anybody? :ashamed:
proxy version was added in android release 2.2.1

wait for a few days.

cynogen mod just happened due to RIL fix.

will shift to cynogen 7 (2.3 based) after a few beta fixes.

more and better releases are coming our way soon :)

Guys as i mentioned before i have the ROM mentioned in post 265

I am facing issues with wifi. Whenever i turn on wifi, it says that it is ON (green tick also comes) but the icon on top bar never comes and scanning does not give any thing (or no activity related to wifi scanning is shown) :S

What seems to be the issue ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also before installing the ZTE blade recovery manager, this thread says that i need to root my phone.

How do i ensure whether my phone is rooted or not and if not rooted should i be installing the UniversalAndroot from this link and if yes then which version

PS: Pardon so many queries but i am total noob to android and rooting :ashamed:

(Never even hacked my 5230 :p)

Hows teh GPS performance with the ROMs? Running FLB Froyo r7a, GPS lock takes some time compared to my Nexus One.

Ok so installed JJ RLS9 version but still cannot see the wifi icon when wifi is turned on.

Is the wifi working or not on my phone ? Is it broken ?? :(:(

^ The icon comes only when you're connected. Goto settings and do a scan and see if it detects your network and connects to it. I'm having Wifi connecting problems on JJ RLS 7, but whenever I initiate the connection from the Settings menu, it always connects without a problem.

Back