ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

@vinayakbendale
1. It's a matter of personal choice really. I'm in coldfusion x and have absolutely no problems with the ROM.
2. Blades which came as Gen 2 by default do not need any repartitioning. You can flash the ROM straightaway.
3. Internal memory comes down to less than 50mb after the flash. That's the big downer in this case. The only option is to make full use of moving app2sd or any other similar app that can move apps to external card. Else, you can try flashing the Konstakang ROM mentioned in post #2462 in this thread. It will decrease the cache and increase internal memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Installed CyanogenMod9 kang :) So far running quite smooth. A couple of issues like blank notification centre, which can be solved by rebooting the phone.

Has anyone tried Link2SD? I am thinking of partitioning my SD card and installing the app. Lemme know if there are any issues with it :)

[Update]
For battery, found out that we can get battery from Idea blade service center.

For charger,
will normal USB wall charges would work? thinking of buying this CHARGER. Is this safe to use this charger?

Are you guys facing any GPS issues with current ICS roms ? I'm myself using coldfusionX rom (basically aokp) and GPS just couldn't get a lock. In GPS status it does get green on 5-6 satellites, yet no lock :(
I've already put in the enhanced gps.conf with extra AGPS setting, as well as setting NTP server to india, but still doesn't help ? Is it working fine for you guys? Does changing to another rom will help?

Are you guys facing any GPS issues with current ICS roms ? I'm myself using coldfusionX rom (basically aokp) and GPS just couldn't get a lock. In GPS status it does get green on 5-6 satellites, yet no lock :(
I've already put in the enhanced gps.conf with extra AGPS setting, as well as setting NTP server to india, but still doesn't help ? Is it working fine for you guys? Does changing to another rom will help?

Will try to give you my opinion by evening when i am returning home. I have the other ROM (not CFX) and have not tested GPS yet.

Btw anyone tried JB on the ZTE Blade ? Does "Project Butter" actually work or is it just a gimmick ?

@raksrules Not sure about project butter. I felt it was too early to try out JB right now. @Haste: I am on KonstaKang, and have no issues with GPS lock. Am able to get a lock within 10-15 seconds.

@Haste

I am also on the same ROM as @logistopath (i believe), the ICS ROM that fits under the 140 MB partition. I tried the GPS yesterday while coming from office to home and in a moving car i got a lock after almost 4 minutes. May be the lock would have been faster if i was in a stationary position.

I've been using an XCD 35 for almost 6 months now. I couldn't get down to rooting/changing ROMs on the phone due to both lack of time and lack of enthusiasm for the same (did whatever mod that was possible without rooting the phone though). Even then, I feel more comfortable with Android (graduating from Symbian). Sometime back, I played around with a few droids like Sensation XL/Defy/DHD and liked the experience on them. That has sparked my interest in rooting and checking out popular ROMs on my XCD35. But I am well behind the game here as many people have moved on to better and more powerful handsets, even on TE.

Anyways, i felt a little lost and even intimidated by the sheer volume of information on rooting/changing ROMs of a Blade/XCD 35. It did put me off once before but i want to seriously try it this time around. Can you guys mention some websites/links/forums (on things like how to root/change ROMs specifically on the Blade/XCD35) that would be of help to total newbies like me.

TIA :)

I am running my Blade on KonstaKang. The GPS gets locked quickly within seconds sometimes, sometimes it takes ages. Tried the Google Maps for navigation and the dot just doesn't move as I move in bus/train :((

Has anyone tried HTC Beats and Sony Xplod for audio on BladE?

I've been using an XCD 35 for almost 6 months now. I couldn't get down to rooting/changing ROMs on the phone due to both lack of time and lack of enthusiasm for the same (did whatever mod that was possible without rooting the phone though). Even then, I feel more comfortable with Android (graduating from Symbian). Sometime back, I played around with a few droids like Sensation XL/Defy/DHD and liked the experience on them. That has sparked my interest in rooting and checking out popular ROMs on my XCD35. But I am well behind the game here as many people have moved on to better and more powerful handsets, even on TE.

Anyways, i felt a little lost and even intimidated by the sheer volume of information on rooting/changing ROMs of a Blade/XCD 35. It did put me off once before but i want to seriously try it this time around. Can you guys mention some websites/links/forums (on things like how to root/change ROMs specifically on the Blade/XCD35) that would be of help to total newbies like me.

TIA :)

Modaco

ZTE BLADE ROMS PAGE - Home

you can try nokia's servers

NTP SERVER : in.pool.ntp.org
SUPPL SERVER : supl.nokia.com
SUPL server port : 7275

Now here is a new thing. The link2sd was working fine all these days. But today suddenly out of the blue my memory card is not being read and now it is showing damaged SD card :( and asks me to format it :unsure:

Any solutions? Right now what I am thinking is to try and read it through some memory card reader, copy the contents of memory card and then format it. The biggest problem is my titanium backup app is also on the sd card :((

I'm facing some issue with the microphone ,
The volume is too low. while calling ,the other person can't hear me , I have to shout. But it's not completely dead.

Is it a software bug or issue with the hardware ...does anybody have faced the same problem .. plz help me out

I'm facing some issue with the microphone ,
The volume is too low. while calling ,the other person can't hear me , I have to shout. But it's not completely dead.

Is it a software bug or issue with the hardware ...does anybody have faced the same problem .. plz help me out

hardware man
it will soon die
same thing happened with me

try different ROMs and confirm
if yours is the same as my case

gave for RMA
and its almost 48 days now
got a faulty replacement on 23rd day which had charging problem
gave for another replacement and still waiting and hoping i would get a working one this time
to hell with DELL customer support :annoyed:

Same here .. mine has crossed 60days in RMA still no reply from dell and no one picks up at telecom department. Once on 50th day i lodged a complain using the PC helpline and they conveniently lied that i will get in 5 working days . Am thinking of going to court with this.

Same here .. mine has crossed 60days in RMA still no reply from dell and no one picks up at telecom department. Once on 50th day i lodged a complain using the PC helpline and they conveniently lied that i will get in 5 working days . Am thinking of going to court with this.

hardware man
it will soon die
same thing happened with me

try different ROMs and confirm
if yours is the same as my case

gave for RMA
and its almost 48 days now
got a faulty replacement on 23rd day which had charging problem
gave for another replacement and still waiting and hoping i would get a working one this time
to hell with DELL customer support :annoyed:

Atleast can it be repaired in local phone repair shop ? Is it just the Mic or some other big issue like board ...? If it's just a Mic it can be replaced easily right ? :)

Many thanks for the same :). Did manage to root my phone after reading up about it on Modaco (whattay a site !!). Now want to install a custom ROM.
Blade/XCD 35 users here, can you point to the most stable ICS ROM for this device. I would be sticking to this ROM for a fair while and need something that does most of the things in a stable manner.

EDIT: Need a ROM with stable GPS.

Back