ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

raksrules said:
I am still unsuccessful in finding an app to replace the stock / gingerbread keyboard. I want the normal keypad with 1 having ABC, 3 having DEF and so on with T9 support. I tried touchpal today (download using applanet), but it always defaulted itself to full QWERTY on my 2.2 froyo ROM :mad:

Any other option ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also i currently have FLB Froyo r8a installed. But suppose i want to try a new ROM but also need to have a facility to revert back to this r8a without loosing anything, is that possible ??

Like in, i want to create a "image" of my current installation with all apps and data and just restore back when needed.

Possible ?

Did you change the keyboard from input settings to touchpal after installing?
Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Hey guys, just got my OSF two days ago.

I have a major hurdle. I've unlocked the phone but not rooted yet. I installed the drivers and installed JDK and the Android SDK. But when i try running ADB it says device offline. Do i need to root the phone for ADB to be able to see it as online? Or is it some other issue?

just flashed 2 blades to cm7 rc1

lil laggy.

seems stable.

turned off animations from display settings.

will see how it goes.

SunnyBoi said:
Did you change the keyboard from input settings to touchpal after installing?
Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
In settings -> language and Keyboard, i activated touchpal and selected 12 Key keypad (other options were full QWERTY and T+ which means mini qwerty). Then after going to SMS compose, i selected the input method as touchpal (long tap on compose screen) but a different full QWERTY came. When i went back to settings -> lang and kbd i saw that inspite of selecting 12 key keypad, it had defaulted back to QWERTY :(

Even sliding finger on screen when kbd is showing is not working (it is supposed to switch to different layouts with screen swypes)

One of the blades I installed flb, touchpal came in auomatically :| with the 123 screen.think it was r7a

raksrules said:
In settings -> language and Keyboard, i activated touchpal and selected 12 Key keypad (other options were full QWERTY and T+ which means mini qwerty). Then after going to SMS compose, i selected the input method as touchpal (long tap on compose screen) but a different full QWERTY came. When i went back to settings -> lang and kbd i saw that inspite of selecting 12 key keypad, it had defaulted back to QWERTY :(

Even sliding finger on screen when kbd is showing is not working (it is supposed to switch to different layouts with screen swypes)
You can try Smart Keyboard or Better Keyboard. Both are available from the market, and are paid apps, but both have free trial versions. Try and find if either of them works well for you, and then go for the paid version.

raksrules said:
Also need to know how do i set my own MP3 files as ringtones/alarm tones in the zte blade ?

I think this link should help ??
Really no need for all that drama. Just tap and hold on the mp3 you wanna set in filer and a context menu will popup with 'Use as ringtone' at the bottom.

Julian said:
Hey guys, just got my OSF two days ago.

I have a major hurdle. I've unlocked the phone but not rooted yet. I installed the drivers and installed JDK and the Android SDK. But when i try running ADB it says device offline. Do i need to root the phone for ADB to be able to see it as online? Or is it some other issue?
Ok, solved (partially) by "On your phone, go to Setttings>Applications>Development and turn USB debugging ON." from Quick guide to modifying build.prop with ADB - Android @ MoDaCo

Now when i run 'adb devices' it doesn't show it as offline. But when i run 'adb remount' it says "remount failed: Operation not permitted". This is really frustrating.

Julian said:
Ok, solved (partially) by "On your phone, go to Setttings>Applications>Development and turn USB debugging ON." from Quick guide to modifying build.prop with ADB - Android @ MoDaCo

Now when i run 'adb devices' it doesn't show it as offline. But when i run 'adb remount' it says "remount failed: Operation not permitted". This is really frustrating.
dont check for adb devices. mine works only if i connect when the phone is on. regardless of adb devices showing anything just run the recovery script.

logistopath said:
You can try Smart Keyboard or Better Keyboard. Both are available from the market, and are paid apps, but both have free trial versions. Try and find if either of them works well for you, and then go for the paid version.
Thanks a lot. The better keyboard is awesome and i finally got the old styled num pad. Now i can use only one hand to type. :):)

^^ Glad that it worked. I'm finding my first Android wonderful just because of this. For any application or need, you have a variety of choices, and at least one of them is bound to work for you.

Another query. I have the FLB r8a ROM installed and i guess few apps like voice dialer, news and weather etc came along with it. Now i need to remove these apps and since i am using Go Launcher EX, it has facility that a long tap on the menu screen bring a cross sign to all the removable apps and just pressing the cross can uninstall it. But for the above mentioned apps (and few others) the cross does not come and even i went to task manager -> application and checked the apps details and there the Uninstall button is disabled.

My phone is rooted and i need to know how can i remove these apps ?

^ You cannot remove those apps as those come pre-installed in the system partition. The way to remove them I guess is to take away those .apk files from the zip file archive before flashing the ROM. I don't know if there's an easier way to remove those once the ROM is flashed.

comp@ddict said:
Guys, is this the phone ZTE Blade San francisco?

ZTE Blade price in India

Orange San Francisco B08 (ZTE Blade) Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of Smartphone, PDA, PDA Phone, PNA, netbook & Mobile Device Specifications

Is the price Rs. 8,000 , really??

Is this phone good? It's still on Andriod 2.1 but I guess installing the stock Android 2.3(if there's a port or future update) wont be that hard.
Ignore those links. I guess someone else also had posted it long time back. Actually the website has just converted the 100GBP in INR and rounded off to 8000. You do not get ZTE blade officially in India, except for the rebranded Dell XCD35 retailing at around 15000 Rupees

raksrules said:
Another query. I have the FLB r8a ROM installed and i guess few apps like voice dialer, news and weather etc came along with it. Now i need to remove these apps and since i am using Go Launcher EX, it has facility that a long tap on the menu screen bring a cross sign to all the removable apps and just pressing the cross can uninstall it. But for the above mentioned apps (and few others) the cross does not come and even i went to task manager -> application and checked the apps details and there the Uninstall button is disabled.

see post 227 / 239 :)

http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phones/zte-blade-aka-dell-xcd-35-a-181302-16.html#post1714591

SunnyBoi said:
dont check for adb devices. mine works only if i connect when the phone is on. regardless of adb devices showing anything just run the recovery script.
Hmm, I was able to install clockwork using fastboot so that part is done with. But I might need to access a shell on the phone later and unless adb can connect with full permissions, that doesn't seem possible.

Ok, scratch that, i was able to successfully connect adb on the JJ rom. Guess it was the stock Orange rom that was denying access even after rooting.

raksrules said:

Install root explorer. Go to data/app folder and mount it as R/W. Delete the apk files of the applications you want to remove.

bigbyte said:
Install root explorer. Go to data/app folder and mount it as R/W. Delete the apk files of the applications you want to remove.
Just downloaded root explorer and navigated to folder mentioned. But i don't see any of those apps like voice dialer etc which i want to delete.

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

OOPS... Sorry. It is in ..\System\app folder. You can find it there. All pre-installed Apps are stored in this Folder.

universal said:
i think it move (part of) applications to FAT partition. (some mbs still remains in internal memory)

JJ RSL8/9 both detects ext3 partition,majority of applications still installed under internal memory though i have not tested with ext2

for instance after installing all necessary (same) applications on both r11 & JJ with A2SD enabled with ext3 ,

what i get is internal memory status for, JJ ~100-110mb free , r11 ~200mb free
It seems that flb-Froyo rls9b doesn't detects ext3 partition or I'm missing something. Because of this Apps are not automatically moved to ext3 partition and I've to move (part of) applications to FAT partition manually. I guess it means that Froyo standard App2FAT is working (though manually) but A2Sd is not working.

Back