ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

raksrules said:

Also what do you mean by exhaustive APN list ?
Like in case of a MTNL Sim, JJ will give you options like MTNL Mumbai prepaid, Mumbai postpaid, Delhi Prepaid, Delhi Postpaid. APN for all these are different. With BSNl you get Correct BSNL mms option separately, with FLB you get gprsbsnlsouth as MMS option.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

raksrules said:
^^ Yes me too have mentioned that i get MCC (or whatever it is) codes instead of names.
Actually it is MCC -MNC (Mobile country - Mobile Network code) code.

Anyone here have tethered their ZTE blade with computer to be used as modem ??

I need to know what software and drivers i should install and from where ?

Also has anyone been able to successfully download flash player on their phones ?

It shows as available in appbrain but when i go to market within that, it says not found.

Tried downloading from androidzoom but still unsuccessful :S

raksrules said:
Anyone here have tethered their ZTE blade with computer to be used as modem ??

I need to know what software and drivers i should install and from where ?

Also has anyone been able to successfully download flash player on their phones ?

It shows as available in appbrain but when i go to market within that, it says not found.

Tried downloading from androidzoom but still unsuccessful :S
Flash is not supported on this processor, it needs a minimum of Cortex A8 or Snapdragon 800 mhz unfortunately :( Thats why it does not show up on the download list

raksrules said:
Where is this usb tethering exactly mentioned in the phone?
Pardon my ignorance on this. :ashamed:
Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

Under wireless & network settings. Check for Tethering & Portable Hotspot mode, and switch it on.

Noticed something weird today. I had put the phone in only WCDMA mode and switched on the data transfer after which i got a G sign besides the signal indicator which i felt meant gprs data but when i did a speed test i got 3g speeds. Not sure whether there is issue with rom or what.

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a ZTE Blade on this forum only.. one thing i noticed that the seller didn't clear his personal stuff from the phone (gmail emails, contacts)

So, As most of the people these days are going for selling this phone for upgrade or whatever reason, one should make sure that they clear up their personal stuff like Gmail Account (email), contacts, etc from the phone. (You never know how this personal details can be used.)

Information Published in Public Interest.

The old contact list still show up when i try to search all contacts. Is there any way to clear up the old content without resetting the phone to factory defaults?

When i try to remove the old account, it gives me message:

"This account is required by some applications. you can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (which deletes all your personal data)."

^afaik u cant remove the google account and its data linked to the phone without a factory reset.(tried in a htc desire before , even googled for solution)

so if a custom rom is running , u can do a total wipe from the clockwork menu .
or if on stock rom , you just have to do factory reset.

Can anyone respond to my question -
Will Nokia BH-105 or Samsung HM1600 bluetooth headset work with the phone ?

Just for some information....

Today there came a point where my phone was shutoff and refused to start, only vibrations came and i thought it is dead. So as a last resort tried connecting it to the USB charger and the back button had the red light glowing. Then started the phone and it started fine.

So it means that when battery is drained out, it will just vibrate and not start.

Edit: Just found similar query on modaco forums too :)

raksrules said:
Noticed something weird today. I had put the phone in only WCDMA mode and switched on the data transfer after which i got a G sign besides the signal indicator which i felt meant gprs data but when i did a speed test i got 3g speeds. Not sure whether there is issue with rom or what.
I was wondering about that. So 3g works only under the WCDMA mode? I'm using a friend's spare vodafone prepaid for testing on my OSF and thought 3g isn't working because it needs a special subscription or activation.

Those using 3g on the blade, please post your experiences wrt. activation and usage.

Julian said:
I was wondering about that. So 3g works only under the WCDMA mode? I'm using a friend's spare vodafone prepaid for testing on my OSF and thought 3g isn't working because it needs a special subscription or activation.

Those using 3g on the blade, please post your experiences wrt. activation and usage.

3G will work under WCDMA/GSM mode also if there is strong enough 3G signals else it will fall back to EDGE. I have a BSNL 3G SIM with the 6 months plan activated and hence 3G works for me.

The only reason i was wondering is because the sign is showing as G which is presume to be GPRS (E as EDGE and H as HSPDA), still i got 3G speeds, which i usually get when it shows H on the notification bar.

Also vodafone 3G is still not launched so you wont be able to access the same i guess.

Oh ok, i thought voda 3g was up and running. So you didn't have to do anything special to activate 3g on your bsnl sim and blade? how does one select if he wants to use gprs/edge or 3g if both are available on his service? strength of 3g signal would be same as regular signal if 3g is available in that region right? or does 3g have it's own signalling unlike edge which piggybacks on the regular gsm network.

If EDGE and 3G both are available (as in BSNL) you can select the network types as WCDMA/GSM in your phone's mobile network settings and ensure that your phone uses 3G network when available and fallback to 2G in absence of 3G. In this way if there is strong enough 3G signal you will be able to use the phone in 3G mode but remember that this does not mean you can use data also ? For that you will need to get data package from the provider or be ready to pay by the nose as per the per 20kb, per 30kb type charges.

Incase you are on regular GPRS/EDGE packs of the provider like say you are subscribed to tata docomo's Rs 65/ 2.5GB plan and try using it in 3G mode then your download speeds will be capped to 128kbps while in case of some operators it wont work at all.

It is not necessary that the 3G signal strength is always good vis-a-vis the 2G one.

Cheers for the info man. I was thinking the same about 3g, being overpriced. Only this vodafone sim seems to have free data for now. the balance just doesnt reduce! maybe it's because it's a new card, first month free or something. so i thought if i could hop on the 3g bandwagon to give it a try then why not. tell me one thing, bsnl in mumbai rates would be as per roaming right? not local even if on mtnl network?

^^ Nope. BSNL 3G data can be used on MTNL dolphin network in Mumbai without incurring any roaming charges. I have used this a lot. But MTNL have capped 3G speeds to 2 Mbps all over Mumbai and uploads have been capped to 384kbps i guess. But BSNL too is following the bandwagon and capping the speeds in most of the places while few lucky places are still spared.

Hmm, what about calling? i would hate to have roaming-free data and expensive calls. i want to move from my SE phone to the blade but am hesitant to switch right now because the android os seems to keep downloading stuff even with background data turned off. so what i do is turn off data completely in the power widget till i actually need something. i need to merge and use both voice and data on the blade. but am not really sure whats the best way/service.

on another note, anyone worked out how to get spare batteries for the blade? the 1250mAh runs out pretty fast, so a spare charged battery wouldn't hurt especially when travelling. i think a bulk order direct from zte would be cost-effective.

Back