ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

I use my phone with data enabled 24/7 along with background data. Even with browsing, checking mails and all background activities it barely crosses 300-400 MB per month. You can get data plans from almost all operators with upto 2 GB for about Rs 100 or less.

^^ True that. My daily data transfer hardly crosses 10MB (that too only when there is an application update that needs downloading the app). Most of the times, it is just a couple of MBs. I use the Rs.98 plan from Idea for 70MB/day GPRS downloads. I hardly use 10% of the bandwidth - I open at least 10 to 20 webpages on Opera Mini, download a couple of apps, keep the weather & news widget refreshed every 30 mins, FB widget refreshes every hour, all these on a daily basis.

Is there any way to use a pc's broadband connection without wifi on the blade? i.e. via usb.

Julian said:
Is there any way to use a pc's broadband connection without wifi on the blade? i.e. via usb.
I dont think so :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

On a side note i have a query that can the blade double up as a wifi modem ?

As in i have a BSNL 3G SIM card in my phone and i keep data enabled on it.

Then say try making a adhoc connection to the phone using laptop and wifi (using the wifi hot spot feature in phone) and subsequently connect to internet on PC but using phone as modem and data transfer between phone and PC happening wirelessly. In this way i guess multiple laptops can connect to net on same connection.

Not sure whether it is possible or not :S

varkey said:
I use my phone with data enabled 24/7 along with background data. Even with browsing, checking mails and all background activities it barely crosses 300-400 MB per month. You can get data plans from almost all operators with upto 2 GB for about Rs 100 or less.
True. I hardly cross 300MB with some Tapatalk usage, Gmail, Sync and some casual browsing. Only reason I turn off sync while sleeping is to save some battery.

raksrules said:
On a side note i have a query that can the blade double up as a wifi modem ?
As in i have a BSNL 3G SIM card in my phone and i keep data enabled on it.
Then say try making a adhoc connection to the phone using laptop and wifi (using the wifi hot spot feature in phone) and subsequently connect to internet on PC but using phone as modem and data transfer between phone and PC happening wirelessly. In this way i guess multiple laptops can connect to net on same connection.
Not sure whether it is possible or not :S

Do you mean connecting both laptop as well as PC to the phone via wifi? It's very much possible and multiple devices can connect, but using it as a permanent solution may not be recommended.

^^ I mean a laptop connected using wifi to the phone and phone being used in hotspot mode (or any other alternate one) and phone has SIM card to access 3G data.

Basically making the phone a wifi enabled 3G modem.

^^ The hotspot mode is exactly that.. Switch on the hotspot mode on the phone, and scan for wifi networks from your PC. THe PC should identify your ANdroid as one Wifi network. Connect it and you are done.

^ Yes, you can use the Wireless tethering feature in Froyo and set it up as an Access point. Then you can use multiple devices (Laptops, phones, PCs) to connect to it just as you would to a router, provided the device has wifi capability.

^^ Thanks to both of you. Oh i though it was to be used as like say i have MTNL wifi router at home and just to expand the coverage i make this phone as wifi hotspot and connect to the MTNL triband using this phone (connected to my laptop).

So i guess it can be used both ways :)

Please tell me..I installed recovery manager and then installed recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.6-blade.img

after it when I try going to recovery mode by pressing down volume button and the power button of the phone, it stucks on the android logo and never passes it.

Whereas the phone works totally phone, if i reboot it without pressing volume down button.

I have tried all versions of 'clockwork'

waiting for some help :S

i have already rooted the phone with UniversalAndroot-1.6.2-beta5.apk

If you have installed the Astro file manager then you can check the MD5 on phone itself. Just long press the clockwork file and in details you will get MD5. For bigger files like the ROM it will take few seconds before the MD5 comes.

Did you installed universalandroot on an already rooted firmware? If yes then that may be problem. Just my guess.

Try installing clockwork using fastboot method. In my experience it never fails.

bigbyte said:
Did you installed universalandroot on an already rooted firmware? If yes then that may be problem. Just my guess.

Try installing clockwork using fastboot method. In my experience it never fails.
I dont think it causes any problem. Moreover only installing universal androot does not cause issue and also it can be used to unroot a phone.

coolraghav said:
can i send someone my phone and do it for me.. *eyelashes*
Did you tried fastboot method to install clockwork recovery? The recovery manager application is still not very stable. Like in my phone, it still doesn't recognizes the firmware or the recovery installed, though I installed both of them using Recovery manager.

Back