ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

The thumb rule for ROM shifting (from one developer to another) is to wipe all the data and cache. I know it is kind of bothering but cannot help.

My personal feeling is that SS rom appear little sluggish after install but it goes after a day of use. No justification but that's what I felt.

^ for me the sluggishness persisted for sometime on RLS3

@Raks - I was not taking about the wipe data and cache. If you dont do that from dev to dev, the device might not boot up. I rather meant SS had me clear app data for each individual app. I took the backup of all the apps and their individual data through Titanium Backup. After installing SS, I had restored the apps and the data. Then I had email force close problem, many apps were real sluggish. The solution to this was to clear the individual app data to run the apps. You can check out many people had this issue on SS. Heck when I moved from JJ RLS9 to FLB I dint have to go through this headache. Going to setting to clear individual app data is the real drag. Select each and clear. I have over 75 apps so it is more problematic.

When you install a ROM, you do the factory reset and wipe the data cache as well. This gets the phone as fresh as new. And then you install the new ROM. Are you trying to restore both app+data through TB? If so try just app and see if the problem persists. Ideally after any new ROm that we currently have, we should not be having a sluggish lag. So, there seems to be something wrong with the way apps are restored.

Is the sluggishness present before installing any app?

Finally done with clockwork 3.0.2 with fastboot ! Btw hating SS RLS4b big time....even the menu sucks big time :(

I dunno how one can live with it just for the sake of better battery life and hardware acceleration ! It will take at least 5-6 releases more to get to the level of FLB :(

Bad experiences :

1. No Reboot App by default.

2. Menu is not as good as FLB

3. From Menu back to homescreen animation cannot be disabled...its a bit slow because of the transition

4. By default 0nDemand governer setting min clock to 122 Mhz causing jittery menus, slow gmail loads etc etc....battery life is one thing....but we need some perf also right

5. Dialer looks like pre historic....FLB default dialer (not the ZTE smart dialer) is much better and cool

6. scrolling very slow in most of the websites in default browser...dunno what is the issue....but I guess by default this rom is for battery life and not for performance !

Below my personal opinions...
Supra said:
Bad experiences :

1. No Reboot App by default.
You can always put an app to do the same, or if you are using widgetsoid, a widget for the same can be used.

Supra said:
2. Menu is not as good as FLB

Not sure what you mean by this (app drawer ???). May be my case is different as whatever ROM i choose, the first thing i install is GO Launcher EX to get a horizontal scrolling of menu items and flexibility of making folders. I have a folder named Unused in my app drawer where my widget apps which rarely need clicking from menu, default things like camcorder, calculator, default broswer etc are kept, helps me reduce number of menu pages and reduce clutter too.

Supra said:
3. From Menu back to homescreen animation cannot be disabled...its a bit slow because of the transition

I, by default keep all kind of transition/animation effects off so may be does not bother me. Also GO launcher may have a different transition in my phone as you have a stock launcher.

Supra said:
4. By default 0nDemand governer setting min clock to 122 Mhz causing jittery menus, slow gmail loads etc etc....battery life is one thing....but we need some perf also right
You can set the same in bundled (??) No frills CPU and do a apply on boot.

Supra said:
5. Dialer looks like pre historic....FLB default dialer (not the ZTE smart dialer) is much better and cool

Yes it does, but works for me because it gives me the facility to search directly while dialing the number (something i never had in any phone before).
You may try GO contacts (which has a dialer too). I had used it in FLB when ZTE smart dialer did not work there and found it good. But little slow it is.

Supra said:
6. scrolling very slow in most of the websites in default browser...dunno what is the issue....but I guess by default this rom is for battery life and not for performance !
Not sure as rarely use default broswer...always use opera mini/mobile

Aarvee said:
Hey guys, got this phone yesterday and flashed SS today. Also got gprs activated.
The thing is I am not able to access apps like gmail, FB, market etc on gprs.
Am able to browse for the same over wi-fi or though the browser.
Did i do anything wrong in my flashing ?
Please help. :(
Guys, am desperate to try and find a solution.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

^^ Did u install SS RLS4b ....I flashed it yesterday came all default gapps.

Otherwise just go to Market and install the apps

Supra said:
^^ Did u install SS RLS4b ....I flashed it yesterday came all default gapps.

Otherwise just go to Market and install the apps

Hey supra,

yes, Flashed it with SS RLS4b. Came with all default apps.

But those default apps are not working.

Even FB which i downloaded it off the market is not working over GPRS.

:(

@Aarvee's---- Are you using Vodafone Live by any chance ? It doesn't work on the WAP Access Points...u need to use GPRS AP config in the APN settings.

Supra said:
@Aarvee's---- Are you using Vodafone Live by any chance ? It doesn't work on the WAP Access Points...u need to use GPRS AP config in the APN settings.
@Supra, I am on VMC 99.

Reg the APN Settings, This is the menu under it.

Mobile Networik settings --> GSM/UMTS Options --> APNs

I have the options India Hutch, Vodafone IN and Vodafone in MMS.

Currently i am using India Hutch. But i am not able to edit any settings.

Tried also with Vodafone IN. Not working.

I think you are bang on with the rootcause Supra. Just need some more help here.

Let me know you number, will call you and sort it out if u dont mind.

LOL Same old story....Vodafone Live wont work with android as it connects via proxy.

Get Vodafone Mobile connect activated....they have some 2GB Plan for 98-99 bucks if you are on postpaid. On prepaid should be cheaper.Call up CC , and get it done

raksrules said:
^^Try installing the RLS4b after wiping and doing a factory reset.
Flashed the ROM again after wiping and a factory reset.

Still no luck.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Supra said:
LOL Same old story....Vodafone Live wont work with android as it connects via proxy.

Get Vodafone Mobile connect activated....they have some 2GB Plan for 98-99 bucks if you are on postpaid. On prepaid should be cheaper.Call up CC , and get it done

Supra - Sorry for the disconnect. I am infact on VMC. its 2GB plan for 99 bucks on postpaid.

yes, I had restored apps + data through Titanium Backup. The apps were really sluggish. I had to clear apps data to make them work. This would mean installing only the app will work too. I dint have such issues when migrating from modacor11 -> JJ -> FLB. But now moving from FLB -> SS this is a new issue. If you check modaco many people have reported Email force close issue. The issue is resolved only after clearing the accounts and setting them again. So people trying to maitain prev data on apps should totally avoid this ROM.

clown_abhi said:
When you install a ROM, you do the factory reset and wipe the data cache as well. This gets the phone as fresh as new. And then you install the new ROM. Are you trying to restore both app+data through TB? If so try just app and see if the problem persists. Ideally after any new ROm that we currently have, we should not be having a sluggish lag. So, there seems to be something wrong with the way apps are restored.

Is the sluggishness present before installing any app?

@Supra - You forgot to mention cant use homescreen button to keep apps runing in the background. I like to keep some apps running in the background and on FLB/JJ it was a simple homescreen press to bring me back to the main screen. Doesn't work in SS.

sharktale1212 said:
@Supra - You forgot to mention cant use homescreen button to keep apps runing in the background. I like to keep some apps running in the background and on FLB/JJ it was a simple homescreen press to bring me back to the main screen. Doesn't work in SS.
Really? :O How do you multitask then? That's a very important standard feature in Android and I doubt it's not there in this ROM.

Seems lots of negative reviews on SS, I'm thinking of staying with FLB for a while. Though a few posts in Modaco have claimed SS to be the smoothest of all 2.2 ROMS. :huh:

^ It doesn't work, atleast not for me. I think we will know for sure if more people share their experience. Maybe mine's an isolated case.

btw, it also lacks the host of options from FLB when you press the power button. Gone are the options for Airplane mode and others...only option you have is the shutdown.

I had a strange glitch just now. I was listening to music and the music app just froze..2-3 force close after the phone just hanged. I couldn't come out of the app (no multitask button) and the power button also dint work. I had to remove the batteries and restart my phone. :(

Hating SS --- once I reach home, I am returning back to FLB.

Aarvee said:
Flashed the ROM again after wiping and a factory reset.

Still no luck.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Supra - Sorry for the disconnect. I am infact on VMC. its 2GB plan for 99 bucks on postpaid.
Well, Called up CC and came to know that VL is activated on my mobile and not VMC.

Grr... raised another request to get that activated on my handset. Will have to wait for another 24 hours.

Thanks Supra for your help. Will let you know once that's resolved.

@sharktale1212

If i am not mistaken, you mean that suppose you are in an app say Opera Mini and just want it to send it to background (by just pressing the physical home button) for the time being and again navigate to the same app using long press of Physical Home button which will list all the apps which are open / recently opened and you can click any of the icons from them to open the running app ??

If this is what you want then i can say that this is very much possible in SS. I tried that just now.

Hating SS --- once I reach home, I am returning back to FLB.

Best thing was seeing the so much +ve responses here didn't back up my existing FLB installation using recovery manager which would have meant a 5-10 min job to do the whole restoration. Now its a painful job to get all the apps installed again. Also Appbrain fast Web Installer does not work on SS ROMs ! What a pain this has become....one day lost :(

The homescreen button does take me to homescreen and a long press gives me a list of apps in background...so that feature is working fine for me. Also on power button I do see airplane mode also :p

Only thing that is +ve is the very good battery life...I am on 3G n/w and I am half into the day and battery is still at 82%...so ppl who are using it as primary phone for calls + 3G/EDGE data + sms this SS Rom is a good option even with its shortcomings :)

Back