ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

^^The upper one i guess :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Now this is called excellent battery life :hap2: (obviously as per my usage pattern)

1smb9w.jpg

My upload speed is slow so didn't take chance of trying to upload the full 88MB anywhere. I have it in parts in email, pm me your email if anyone can upload it and share on modaco or wait till I get a reply in the Sebastian stock rom thread.

And yes upper ones oled.

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk

Thanks Raksrules. I'll try it out now.

And @Aladdin, nope. There's a petition on to make it Tapatalk capable, but so far nothing.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Taking all your advice, I have enabled the 98 rs EDGE plan in Airtel, even though I have 30 MB in 3G left (that's the backup plan.. lol). Now I'll compare the battery life of both and get back.

Speed's pretty decent too.

Guys, those who have Airtel 3g on your phones, you CANNOT use 3g and EDGE together, simply by enabling "GSM only" or "2g Only" in your blades. EDGE and 3G use the same APN so unless you disable 3g, you cannot use EDGE. I had to disable my 3g before I could start using the data of my 98 unlimited pack.

Speeds are pretty ordinary for me, just shading around 140 kbps for download and 130 kbps for upload. My previous 3g speeds were through the roof, I got 1860 kbps regularly. Some were saying they got 3g speeds in EDGE, I wonder how.

^^That is quiet wierd. You should ideally be able to use 3G and 2G ONLY IF you have got 3G plan activated on your number. But if you are trying to use 3G with you being on 2G plan (98 rs) then you may be in luck or most of the time out of luck. The 3G speeds on 3G plan may be working for lucky few and only few circles but anyways that will be plugged by Airtel soon.

But if you actually have a 3G plan and still want to use EDGE then forcing 2G only on blade will enabled you to use that. At least i have done this with BSNL 3G.

raksrules said:
But if you actually have a 3G plan and still want to use EDGE then forcing 2G only on blade will enabled you to use that. At least i have done this with BSNL 3G.

Definitely blade will allow that and you'll get 2G speeds, but our dear AIRTEL may still bill at 3G rates for data consumed at 2G speeds on 2G network if you have 3G plan activated. :)

I've no personal experience about this as I was always afraid of activating 3G plan on my airtel. They bill like crazy. For an email sync and speedtest, the consumed data shown by MTNL is around 500kb while AIRTEL shows 1.5mb on PAYG.

lol he means Pay as you go, the UK and US term for Prepaid. :)

And I know, raksrules, theoretically that's what is supposed to happen, but even with GSM only and 2g data only option enabled, it kept eating into my 3G balance (100 MB usage) and kept giving me 3G speeds. I think that's because it uses the same APN.

BSNK (I think) has a different APN for its EDGE and 3G services.

And I guess I'm not one of those UNlucky few.. Speeds are disappointing so far. I liked my 3g better! :(

^^Nope. BSNL too has the same APN bsnlnet for 3G and EDGE AFAIK. The same goes with Tata docomo (tata.docomo.internet) and even reliance (rcomnet). Just that these companies have restricted speeds when a user on 2G plan tries to access internet with 3G enabled.

But in your case, it seems airtel still does not have a mechanism to figure out what way user is accessing the net and hence your main balance is cut (3g one).So in short as of now, in Airtel one should use either 2g plan or 3g plan and not both.

JT_daniel said:
lol he means Pay as you go, the UK and US term for Prepaid. :)

And I know, raksrules, theoretically that's what is supposed to happen, but even with GSM only and 2g data only option enabled, it kept eating into my 3G balance (100 MB usage) and kept giving me 3G speeds. I think that's because it uses the same APN.

BSNK (I think) has a different APN for its EDGE and 3G services.

And I guess I'm not one of those UNlucky few.. Speeds are disappointing so far. I liked my 3g better! :(
Really? I mean, its Airtel's fault at the way they manage to collect usage stats that they're billing you for 3G even when you're using 2G, having 3G plan activated. But when you use 2G only option, the phone will connect in 2G mode only and it shouldn't be able to have 3G speeds. Maybe you should try a reboot after changing the setting and see if you still get 3G speed, when use 2G only ticked, because theoretically it should not be possible. No matter if the APN is same or different, the connection to the network itself is made in 2G mode which should give you max of EDGE speeds. Of course I've no first hand experience on this but this is what I feel should happen, hence curious to know.

^^He never told he is getting 3G speeds in 2G mode.

He is saying that he has a Airtel 3G plan activated which gives him 100 MB Usage. He also has a GPRS/EDGE plan activated which has 2GB usage. But when he is using internet in 2G ONLY mode he expects that the MBs from his GPRS balance (2GB) will be deducted but actually it is getting deducted from 3G balance (100 MB).

Possibly he has taken 3G just to try out or say use it in situations where waiting on EDGE network is no possible and information retrieval at faster speed is priority.

Just what i feel.

arun687 said:
Really? I mean, its Airtel's fault at the way they manage to collect usage stats that they're billing you for 3G even when you're using 2G, having 3G plan activated. But when you use 2G only option, the phone will connect in 2G mode only and it shouldn't be able to have 3G speeds. Maybe you should try a reboot after changing the setting and see if you still get 3G speed, when use 2G only ticked, because theoretically it should not be possible. No matter if the APN is same or different, the connection to the network itself is made in 2G mode which should give you max of EDGE speeds. Of course I've no first hand experience on this but this is what I feel should happen, hence curious to know.

Hmm, I thought this was a problem too. Theoretically, it simply shouldn't happen. Thanks for pointing that out. Evidently, my 2G Only and GSM Only buttons didn't work, since I took a speed test with those enabled and I still got 1860 kbps speed, which shouldn't be possible in EDGE.
raksrules said:
^^He never told he is getting 3G speeds in 2G mode.

He is saying that he has a Airtel 3G plan activated which gives him 100 MB Usage. He also has a GPRS/EDGE plan activated which has 2GB usage. But when he is using internet in 2G ONLY mode he expects that the MBs from his GPRS balance (2GB) will be deducted but actually it is getting deducted from 3G balance (100 MB).

Possibly he has taken 3G just to try out or say use it in situations where waiting on EDGE network is no possible and information retrieval at faster speed is priority.

Just what i feel.

Raksrules, funny thing was, I was getting 3g speeds with 2G on. That led me to think that the 2G only option never worked, since I was billed from my 3G balance and I was getting 3G speeds.

Now that I've disconnected 3G, I'm able to use the 2097 MB balance of my 98 plan with regular EDGE speeds. Coming from 3G to EDGE, massive downgrade, I'm feeling the squeeze. :(

Back