ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

tutysara said:
I haven't used the stock rom but, guess the speed should be better with SS. You could even run asphalt 5 in blade.

Thanks i think i'll go ahead and give it a shot.
raksrules said:
^^Asking for apps is really of no point actually. It all boils down to what you actually want an app for and then find the same. Like you want something to read news on the move then get the TOI or NDTV app, if you are into FB then get the android FB app etc etc.
It is. I've been doing a considerable amount of reading and just wanted your views on Launchers, Widgets, Phone Applications SMS, etc..

On a different note. Do any of you use Silicon cases with this phone?

^^In that case here you go...but remember that something that works for me may not please you. Also i suggest you check the top android apps thread to check what people are using.

Launcher -> GO launcher for me but people like Launcherpro more.

Widgets -> You need widget to do what ?? For quick access to BT, Wifi, data etc then power control is inbuilt but if you want more then download widgetsoid

SMS -> If you like threaded SMS then no need to download anything and if you want classic inbox style then go for GO SMS Pro or Pansi SMS.

Browsers -> Opera Mini, Opera mobile, Skyfire

Dell-India in facebook says they are working on gingerbread update of XCD35.

This is the link :http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=115218085181998&topic=673

Common guys. lets all join in the discussion there and request them for Gingerbread update.

Thus they will speed up the process and we will get an official update to 2.3 as soon as possible. :)

Omg. white paint chipping off from white OSF :O

Paint Coming Off White Blade :/ - Android @ MoDaCo

I was soo interested in White OSF and its looks, finally decided to buy XCD 35 because of warranty and stock froyo :)

Hmm, am happy that i havent bought a white OSF

A few other things...

1. I am trying to install a Custom rom on my phone according to ttp://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-roms-rom-customisation/335781/22-apr-guide-how-to-install-a-custom-rom-on-the-zte-u-v880-or-gen2-device/

These 2 files seem to have newer versions. Is it ok to use them?

ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager 0.34b

recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2.img

Have asked there too, Thought I'd get a quicker reply here.

2. Also looking at buying a 16GB SanDisk SDHC Class 4. Anyone using this card?

3. Was looking at cases and really liked these designs. Anyone use these? Or know how to procure them.

a. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sikai-Jelly-Case-Orange-San-Francisco-Black-/270748708360?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item3f09e16e08#ht_1056wt_1139

b. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NILLKIN-Orange-San-Francisco-Jelly-Case-Black-3-1-/180667546246?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item2a109ffa86#ht_5108wt_1139

4. Anyone using Matte Screen Protectors/Anti-Glare protectors and can recommend one.

Cheers guys

recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2.img - this is for recovery image i guess. you have to flash it. you can alternatively install Rom Manager from market and it will install recovery and that is the safe method.

Then download the rom which is a zip file, put it into your sdcard and you can boot into recovery and install it.

dafreaking said:
2. Also looking at buying a 16GB SanDisk SDHC Class 4. Anyone using this card?
I know reading 70 pages might be a bit much for some, but if you look back i've posted like 3 times that i'm using a sandisk 16gb microsdhc class4 with the osf.

Julian said:
I know reading 70 pages might be a bit much for some, but if you look back i've posted like 3 times that i'm using a sandisk 16gb microsdhc class4 with the osf.

:ashamed: I read it a few minutes after posting...infact many other things :ashamed:
tutysara said:
recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-blade-g2.img - this is for recovery image i guess. you have to flash it. you can alternatively install Rom Manager from market and it will install recovery and that is the safe method.

Then download the rom which is a zip file, put it into your sdcard and you can boot into recovery and install it.

Yeah I know its the recovery image. The link provided to download it shows new versions for those files. I just wanted to know if its safe to use those newer versions.
logistopath said:
Been using the Nilkin jelly case protector for quite some time now; it's good value for money.
Did you purchase it from eBay UK? or from somewhere else?

Posting a few queries on behalf of a friend who proposes to buy the Dell XCD35:

1) How does one ensure before purchase that the XCD35 he/she is buying has 512MB RAM and not 256MB that needs to be unlocked??

2) Is there a difference between the battery life of the XCD35 and the Orange San Francisco? How much battery life should he expect with 2 hours of talking and an hour of music on an average. No wifi/bluetooth/3G/GPRS??

3) How does the Dell Warranty work?? Do they repair or replace the faulty device??

4) Does the phone have backlight leakage from the screen edges, buttons or the side of the phone?? Also, does it have the issue of dust accumulation on the screen??

5) How is the on screen keypad for the Dell XCD35?? Is it as good as the on offered by HTC Android phones??

6) Are good quality screenguards perfectly cut for the shape and size of the Dell XCD35 readily available in the local Indian markets??

Phew...!! That's all. He wanted to buy an Android phone ~ 10k and I suggested the XCD35. He bombarded me with questions most of which I could answer. The rest that I couldn't answer are above. Please HELP!! :ashamed:

TIA. :)

nehaladsul said:
1) How does one ensure before purchase that the XCD35 he/she is buying has 512MB RAM and not 256MB that needs to be unlocked??

You don't need to, if it is 256 MB, get it upgraded to 2.2 Froyo, which will unlock 512 MB at any Dell Service center for free.

nehaladsul said:
2) Is there a difference between the battery life of the XCD35 and the Orange San Francisco? How much battery life should he expect with 2 hours of talking and an hour of music on an average. No wifi/bluetooth/3G/GPRS??

No difference. Approximately 20-25 hours after recaliberation, me thinks.

nehaladsul said:
3) How does the Dell Warranty work?? Do they repair or replace the faulty device??
No idea, sorry.

nehaladsul said:
4) Does the phone have backlight leakage from the screen edges, buttons or the side of the phone?? Also, does it have the issue of dust accumulation on the screen??

Nope, no any that I've noticed.

nehaladsul said:
5) How is the on screen keypad for the Dell XCD35?? Is it as good as the on offered by HTC Android phones??

You can change it to anything you want. Innovative? Try Swype. Regular? There are a lot of options, check the android market.

nehaladsul said:
6) Are good quality screenguards perfectly cut for the shape and size of the Dell XCD35 readily available in the local Indian markets??

Yes, but they cost a bomb (350 bucks from Scratch Guard). You could order it from Ebay UK for around 250 rs for a 6x pack.

A few more queries if I may... :ashamed:

Does the XCD35 have a Proximity Sensor??

As the phone doesn't have a physical key for the screen lock/unlock, how does one do that??

And is there any Contacts Sync software available from Dell just like Nokia PC Suite??

Thanx again...

nehaladsul said:
Does the XCD35 have a Proximity Sensor??

Yes

nehaladsul said:
As the phone doesn't have a physical key for the screen lock/unlock, how does one do that??

The power button at the top works as screen wake button as well, and slide to unlock.

nehaladsul said:
And is there any Contacts Sync software available from Dell just like Nokia PC Suite??

Android syncs contacts with the respective Google account.

Thanx... I know about Google Sync. He just wanted to know if there is some software available from Dell like the Nokia PC Suite.

Well, I personally own a San Francisco. It didnt come with any utilities or even a driver CD. Syncing contacts can be achieved by exporting your windows contacts into a VCF and then transferring the vcf to the phone. You can then import the data with the contacts app.

You can use wammu if you are on linux. It connects with many different phones with many different protocols. You can sync your contacts and sms using this.

^^It is decent enough. I for one may not buy because i like the San Fransisco text and last time when i went to shops to ask for screenguard the shop guys were totally shocked and confused as to what phone it was. Some even said it is some cheap chinese phone.. "Zyaada din nahi chalega" :p

lol I got some of that too, which pissed me off. I was actually informed that my phone was a "korea model" in the most condescending tone ever imaginable. What do they know, n00bs. :) I absolutely love the plain ZTE Blade one. I'll post pics of it once it arrives, I'm sure you'll change your opinion raksrules. Its plain sexy. :p

I just covered my Orange logo today with a Vinyl Android robot sticker I got off Ebay UK for 2.5 pounds (2 Green, 4 Black.. pricey, I know, but I absolutely hate that Orange Logo.. lol), so I'm well on my way to hiding every trace of Orange-ness of the phone.. lol

Back