ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Has anyone used any Blade ROM on XCD35 ? Also I am downgrading from Dell Streak. What do you guys think ? Will the device live upto the expectation ? My main usage is mainly browsing and GPS navigation (with little bit of music). No games, no document editing :p

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Has anyone used any Blade ROM on XCD35 ? Also I am downgrading from Dell Streak. What do you guys think ? Will the device live upto the expectation ? My main usage is mainly browsing and GPS navigation (with little bit of music). No games, no document editing :p
One very important thing you need to know is to first determine the Generation of you phone. I am guessing it will most probably be 2 but still install Mr Pigfish to determine that and accordingly choose the ROM.
If you are looking for using GPS navigation extensively then note that the best thing for the same would be Google maps but that again uses data. For offline navigation you have Sygic and Map My India Maps and Ndrive application but i dont like either of them.
No Garmin available for android yet i think.

I have already an unlimited GPRS plan so data usage is no issue. ALso I am used to Sygic (used it a lot on my dell streak) so even there I am all set.

The trouble is I don't want to spend a fortune now on a phone (after I sold my streak). All I want now is a phone with big enough screen, with good resolution. Primarily for browsing you see. Couldn't find anything better than XCD35 in the sub 10K budget category. To get a phone better than streak, I'll have to spend at least 25-26K and even then the new phone won't match the grandeur of the Streak. So at the moment will make do with a cheap phone.

Is there any good free music player with equalizer ? I've tried winamp and the default player but they give very low volume when listening through earphones.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
I have already an unlimited GPRS plan so data usage is no issue. ALso I am used to Sygic (used it a lot on my dell streak) so even there I am all set.

The trouble is I don't want to spend a fortune now on a phone (after I sold my streak). All I want now is a phone with big enough screen, with good resolution. Primarily for browsing you see. Couldn't find anything better than XCD35 in the sub 10K budget category. To get a phone better than streak, I'll have to spend at least 25-26K and even then the new phone won't match the grandeur of the Streak. So at the moment will make do with a cheap phone.

The screen is really good and big enough for browsing and for sub 10 it is indeed a very good choice.
kRuSnIk said:
Is there any good free music player with equalizer ? I've tried winamp and the default player but they give very low volume when listening through earphones.
Poweramp is the solution for you :)

You can buy silicone case from sofiz.co.uk. they ships from Singapore and free shipping is available to India. Pay in euro as it is lot cheaper than GBP.

It is available from ebay uk, but directly buying from sofiz is cheaper. You can also search for ebay uk for silicone case/leather case from other companies.

You can request for any colour choice in sofiz while cheking out. These are the colour choices: sofiz | eBay UK

You can use a silicone case of Nokia E71 in OSF til your OSF case arrives. It filts perfectly.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
The only thing that is stopping me from buying the XCD35 is lack of good accessories. All I need is a good leather/silicon cover.

(

I personally prefer the Nilkin case. You could check that one out too. I just bought one yesterday for my friend and it cost me 5 GBP shipped with 3 screen guards along with it.

Yeah, you could try Cryanogen, but it still isn't completely bug free. It's only GEN 2 now, but you can easily change to GEN 2, just look over that in Modaco.

And raksrules, PowerAmp seems to take far too much Partial Wake usage for me in Spare Parts. Almost 30 minutes every day, is it the same for you?

ashu said:
what advantages does gigerbread offer over froyo? Is it stable and for gen1?
There are many advantages especially from the added features of Cyanogenmod, but not everyone would want that. CM7 is now Gen2 only, so you need to upgrade to Gen2 if you wanna use it. It's not completely stable but pretty much good for everyday use.

Check this wiki to see CM7's current status on Blade, all important points in one page.

PS - I'm running CM7 N74 on my Gen1 blade, upgraded to Gen2 and find it pretty usable, albeit a few niggles, neatly mentioned in the wiki.

ashu said:
@daniel : which cyanogen you use currently? also how can i backup my contacts and sms before installing new rom?
For SMS backup i suggest you install GO SMS pro and backup on your SD card and after installing new ROM , just again install GO SMS pro and restore your SMS. You are free to remove the app after you are done with this.

For contacts i suggest you sync your google account with your phone and let your contacts sync with it and after new ROM when you again link your phone with your google account, you will get all your contacts back.

ashu said:
@daniel : which cyanogen you use currently? also how can i backup my contacts and sms before installing new rom?
I'm not on Gingerbread. I'm on 2.2 Swedish Spring RLS5 now, which is completely stable and satisfies all my needs. If you want a good, stable ROM, then the SS RLS5's the one for you.

If you have a stock froyo rom you can use that if you don't have the need to got to SS. The advantage you get on SS is the ability to overclock and using various governors for CPU speed, if you want something like that then you can move to SS.

^^Asking for apps is really of no point actually. It all boils down to what you actually want an app for and then find the same. Like you want something to read news on the move then get the TOI or NDTV app, if you are into FB then get the android FB app etc etc.

Back