ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Anyone on 3G? How do you guys check Data usage (And any guys on Vodafone 3G?)

The most recommended app 3G Watchdog apparently doesn't run on our phones.

@raksrules Glad you decided to keep the blade. Your posts have been quite useful to my Blade experience.

dafreaking said:

The most recommended app 3G Watchdog apparently doesn't run on our phones.

@raksrules Glad you decided to keep the blade. Your posts have been quite useful to my Blade experience.

3G Watchdog does run for me and I'm on SS.

@Raksrules, I'm glad you chose to stick to your blade too! :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

raksrules said:
[/COLOR]Can anyone tell me what video player do you use ?
I want to play those 350 MB TV series AVI rips and those low bitrate MKV files (75-200 MB each episode types).

Did you try moboplayer? It played all my White Collar episodes (around 200-400 mb files each, in varying formats, MKV, Avi, Mp4 :p) and my Big Bang Theory episodes (all 170-200 mb MKV files) perfectly. If it doesn't work properly try downloading the Arm6 plugin for it.

JT_daniel said:
3G Watchdog does run for me and I'm on SS.

Thanks will try it out. Have you had a chance to compare how accurate the results are?

This is for users of Whatsapp. Do you guys get messages when your screen is turned off? (If on EDGE/3G) I don't get messages and have to keep checking my device if I have received a new message. VERY VERY annoying.

raksrules said:
Dropped my plan to sell of my blade for now. So back to getting top of things on Blade ROM developments :p

Can anyone tell me what video player do you use ?

I want to play those 350 MB TV series AVI rips and those low bitrate MKV files (75-200 MB each episode types).

Good that you decided to keep it...Its a fantastic piece of hardware :p

For videos, i use Rock Player and it runs all 700MB AVI rips as well as the few MKV rips i have thrown at it. Give it a try if you have not already.

The video player test results from my side using various players which i already have in my Blade....

1. Rock Player Test (Software decoding mode, h/w decoding does not work)

a. 350 MB episode of House MD, container AVI, video mpeg4 and audio mp3 - Works (only jitters a bit when on screen controls are visible)

b. 350 MB episode of House MD, container AVI, video mpeg4 and audio ac3 - Not Working (only video shows, no audio)

c. 75 MB episode of Arrested Development, container MKV, video H264, audio aac - Not working (video very jitterly, may be 5 fps types, no audio)

d. 150 MB episode of Mentalist , same specs as above (c), same result

2. Mob player test

a. 350 MB episode of House MD, container AVI, video mpeg4 and audio mp3 - Works

b. 350 MB episode of House MD, container AVI, video mpeg4 and audio ac3 - Works

c. 75 MB episode of Arrested Development, container MKV, video H264, audio aac - Not working (video very jitterly, may be 5 fps types, audio breaking every second)

d. 150 MB episode of Mentalist , same specs as above (c), same result

I am sure the Mob player has the V6 plugin because last time i installed it, it did mention that my phone was V6 and it needed to download the V6 version which i did.

Try vplayer. It worked for me for most of the formats. As for my experience with Blade, no single player was able to play all formats correctly. Hence I always had 2-3 players installed and vplayer is must. mplayer and Rockplayer are also good.

I tried installing Vplayer trial in my blade but i end up in "application not installed". Anyone here using vplayer in their blade, please send me its APK.

For vodafone, i sms "SURF VMC" to 144, to check 2G usage

dafreaking said:

What cover/case are you people using for your phone. ? Where did you buy it from? How is the quality and its cost ???

raksrules said:
I tried installing Vplayer trial in my blade but i end up in "application not installed". Anyone here using vplayer in their blade, please send me its APK.

I'll try to locate if I still have it's apk in my backup. By the way even vplayer can not play high bitrate videos specially those in mkv container. Only some low profile (up to L3) are playable.

If these videos by any chance contain multichannel sound, just forget the sound. They don't even play on SGS.

^^The MKVs i have are probably not high bitrate. As you can check above, they are 75Mb or 150MB per episode (40 min i guess). Now i think i will install all the video players available and do a test when my main player (as of now rock player) fails to play the file. Can anyone list down all the video players compatible with blade ??

I know are..

1. Rock Player

2. Mobo Player

3. yxplayer

Unconfirmed

1. Vplayer

2. Mplayer (need to download from xda)

3. Vplayer advance

4. Act 1 .....something

Also anyone here using the new Portuguese spring ROM ? How is it ? Any point in changing over from SS RLS5 ?

They have mentioned that wipe is not needed if coming from SS, anyone tried ?

Btw in general the sound output on blade (esp with my video watching on rock/mobo player) is less than what i desire. Any solution for this ?

Ok some queries and opinions

1. I installed the Portugese Spring RLS3b ROM yesterday night without any wipe (since i had SS RLS5 before) and it installed fine. The boot animation has changed (dont care condition for me), the status bar is more of GB type and tiny for my liking. People say ROM is fast, i dont really know as of now and in what aspect. Battery life is said to be far superior than SS, Lets see.
    Better take a nandroid backup of your phone before proceeding to install the new ROM.
  2. Please suggest as to what screenguard to apply. I think i will need a new one. I asked my brother and he had applied one from a roadside shop (not even a shop) for Rs 150. Will check on his phone and see how good it is. Btw if anyone know any good place for reasonably priced screenguard in Borivali (Mumbai), do let me know.
    Someone mentioned in other forum not to use a glossy screenguard but a matt one, how do i know this beforehand ? Any specific brands ?
  3. Which application do you use for accessing your SMS as the classic Inbox, Outbox, Sent method (incase you do use that is), something which does on lag on the blade. I found GO SMS lagging and default view for that is threaded conversation and not the classic one. Pansi messaging is something i am using but something irritating about it does not allow you to insert a number directly in TO field, instead forces us to choose a contact. That is plain idiotic. Or may be i am the only one with this issue. Dont know.

BTW, can someone post a profile for video conversion using handbrake or any other software, so that the videos play without frame drops or stutters? The usual 700Mb DVD rips do not play smoothly on my Blade.

It seems the power widget in notification bar is still having some bugs (Portugese spring RLS3b)

This is what i did

1. Went to the Notifications Settings App and unchecked the wifi and checked the sound since i dont need to wifi toggle.
2. Tapped the 'Reboot' bar on top of the application.
3. After reboot when i dropped the notification bar, i do see that the wifi toggle is gone but the space that it occupied (far left hand side) has left blank and i am able to see only the other 5 widgets and the one random toggle was not available at all. So even after selecting 6 toggles, i got only 5.
4. Now it seems that whatever i do, i am left with the far left side of the power widget blank and only 5 toggles available even if i select 6 in the settings app and after reboot one of them (randomly) disappers.

Please check below screenshot (the below one is after i tried to play around more with this and choose the toggles that i wanted)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

logistopath said:
BTW, can someone post a profile for video conversion using handbrake or any other software, so that the videos play without frame drops or stutters? The usual 700Mb DVD rips do not play smoothly on my Blade.
I have pretty much given up on the video playing part in blade. If you see few posts above, you will see my test results using couple of most popular players.
For me the 45 min / 350 MB episodes work fine (i guess should be similar bitrate to a 700 MB rip) but do stutter a few times.
I though i will convert all videos in some standard format and then copy back but the efforts is not worth it and on top of that i dont have a laptop with high end proccy to do that. Instead now i am carrying my PMP (yes the chinese one :p) to watch my TV series while travelling in company bus.

Most people try different phones and they might have got other phones as well which are introduced after this. This is one of the best entry level phone and it is common for people to move up once they are comfortable with a entry level model.

got my phone from letsbuy with 2.1 and upgraded to official 2.2 but now i cant connect to PC using usb

please help me ... am i missing something like PC connectivity/mass storage etc.

Back