ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Is anyone here using the ZTE blade connected to a windows 7 machine and using the internet off the 3G/EDGE connection ?. I am not talking about wifi hotspot but directly using the blade as a 3G modem. I know it affects battery etc etc but i need to know.

If yes then please tell me how to do so, do i need to install any specific drivers to make the PC recognize the phone as modem ?

If yes then from where to download and install and anything else if necessary, please tell me that.

I bought my Dell XCD35 from flipkart in April. It was shipped with 2.1 (Gen 1) but it came with 512 MB Ram. There was no need to unlock it. 512 MB was state in the manual as well. Unfortunately the bluetooth didnt work and I got it replaced at Dell service center here at Bhubaneswar and I got a newer Gen2 model which also had 512 MB RAM out of the box.

But I had a doubt whether only ROOTING the device (not install any custom ROM) will void the warranty. Dell Customer Support is unable to help me on this. They dont understand what root is. I do not want to lose the replacement warranty as I already had a bad experience.

raksrules said:
Is anyone here using the ZTE blade connected to a windows 7 machine and using the internet off the 3G/EDGE connection ?. I am not talking about wifi hotspot but directly using the blade as a 3G modem. I know it affects battery etc etc but i need to know.
If yes then please tell me how to do so, do i need to install any specific drivers to make the PC recognize the phone as modem ?
If yes then from where to download and install and anything else if necessary, please tell me that.

Mostly you wouldn't need any drivers but if you need them, here's where they are. Correct ZTE USB driver for Blade - XP/Vista/Win7 x86/x64 - Android @ MoDaCo

I used to use this all the time when my MTNL went dead as a backup when I was on Froyo. Just connect the phone using USB cable and turn on USB tethering from settings, sorry don't remember exactly where the setting is as I'm on an old version of CM7 that does not support USB tethering. Win 7 will recognize it as a USB network adapter and PC will be connected to the internet automatically.
gmonline said:
But I had a doubt whether only ROOTING the device (not install any custom ROM) will void the warranty. Dell Customer Support is unable to help me on this. They dont understand what root is. I do not want to lose the replacement warranty as I already had a bad experience.
Any kind of rooting/custom ROM installation automatically voids the warranty. It's a trade off between warranty and custom Rom goodness that you've to choose.

^^I checked that thread but it is all confusing and people reporting that this is working, that is not working etc etc :S

Also assume i get the right drivers (you still have to point me which is the absolutely correct one :p) and install them and phone is detected as modem, all i do is just start Data connection on mobile and it should start working on PC too or something like dialing from PC needs to be done :S

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also while connecting the phone to PC, should i select the "SELECT TO COPY FILES TO/FROM YOUR COMPUTER" thing from the notification bar so that SD card is available for laptop ?

^ I think I installed the one in the first post of the page and it certainly works, try that one.

Just keep mobile data on in the phone and connect USB and enable USB tethering from the settings menu. No dialing needs to be done, it will detect the phone as a network adapter and you're online.

You don't need to select "SELECT TO COPY FILES TO/FROM YOUR COMPUTER", as SD card need not be mounted for tethering.

^^Okies great, will do all this tonight. Basically i wanted to use the phone as modem for night period (for few days ) when i cannot reconnect my internet manually. Hope everything goes well. That ZTE driver thread is just too confusing :S

^ Don't worry about it. Those days (in Jan when the thread was created) things like fastboot and adb were very important to install Roms and recovery, not anymore. So most of the discussion is about all these, USB modem works flawlessly.

^^Ok so i did everything, installed the drivers, first the ADB interface thing got installed and then modem drivers, and i was able to use internet well. Basically the idea was to keep the net ON at night when i cannot go and reconnect it manually. I was successful upto a certain extent but it did not work for whole night. Sometime in between it got disconnected. As in the H sign was still there on my phone in morning, just that there was no data transfer going on :( In all i was able to successfully download about 2.5GB in the night before the issue occurred. Not sure why this thing happens. Tonight will try with wifi hotspot rather than USB tethering. All because of network issues i guess and upon that the speed cap of BSNL.

OT: Please BSNL remove the cap and give like 10.2 Mbps etc for next few days:(

raksrules said:
Tonight will try with wifi hotspot rather than USB tethering.
Be careful with wifi hotspot, because it drains battery from 100% to nil within 2 hrs, so you have to keep it plugged in for charging and when you're charging and wifi tethering at the same time, the phone gets really really hot. Wouldn't recommend leaving it unattended throughout the night.

^^Oh is it ?? I was planning to keep it in charging mode using USB and not through mains, still i will try it first in evening for an hour or so and if i find that it makes phone hot then would drop off the plan. USB charging may help as it far slower than normal charging. Just my thinking. Lets see how it goes.

^ Yes, you could try USB charging, the current flow is far less and hence may not get so hot and also provide just enough power to keep it going entire night.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Just updated to Blue Ginger V2, which is based on the leaked build. So far looking good.

^^Ok so i tried the USB charging and wifi hotspot. Works well but when BSNL wants to go off, it does. With BSNL 3G on phone and using continuously, i have found that many a times the data transfer just stops even if there is H sign. It is BSNL issue i am sure. Sometimes all downloads etc stops when this happens but after couple of minutes it resumes. It happened yesterday too (had happened with USB tethering too) but when it happened second time, it just would not start the transfer even after waiting for 15 minutes so have dumped this idea.

But yes the phone does not get much hot using USB charging so if it would have worked, it would have been fine.

Btw i wanted to so try the new GB ROM from wbaw but he seems to release a new beta every day so until things stabilize, i wont be switching to gen2 GB ROMs.

^ In the new leaked build, everything works and there are no big bugs that I could notice. You should try it.

The different versions are minor changes and addition/removal of apps. So far I can say the ui seems to be much smooth and far better battery life, but still think cm7 runs apps a little faster. (In app performance)

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

Facing a problem with my Dell XCD35,had tried to unroot using z4root the process went as usual but after the reboot the phone is on a loop at the animation screen.Any idea how to rectify this.Thanks

P.S When I try the hard reset the phone doesn't show the green android but only the FTM message.

Who's tried Wbaw's GSFB9 so far? It's GEN 2 only and I just converted it yesterday and put on the ROM. It's simply the BEST ROM I've ever tried out.

Battery life is awesome (better than the Swedish Spring 2.2), the app drawer and home screens are silky smooth (even though it's not currently overclockable) and I'm loving every bit of the ROM. Even donated a bit to Wbaw for his brilliant work. :D

Here's a screen shot of my current homescreen (I spent 7+ hours on it today.. tried out atleast 30 types of homescreens before settling on this one).

[attachment=8470:14909.attach]

PS: What happened to this thread? Went dead all of a sudden. :(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 114
^ Seems people are bored tinkering with Blade or moving to other devices like Spice Mi410. :p Nice homescreen there.

Anyway I'm on Blue Ginger V2 which is based on wbaw's GSFB4 and it's pretty good. V3 is out today and will be updating soon. Miss the CM7 features but love the stability and smooth scrolling. Waiting for new kernel source to be released so that it can be used in CM7.

Guys. Do either of these roms have the drop down notification widget Ala cm7?

I love the extra customization of CM Green, but will take better battery life over that any day.

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

^ No none of them have it as of now. Wbaw has made it clear that he doesn't plan to include it in his Rom, however Psyloid will try to include it later.

I personally prefer the power widget to be placed on home screen.

Back