13Rs Mineral water @ 30.00 Rupees at Inorbit Mall Vashi

It all depends from where ur buying it there are so many places where u dnt get the Bill for such things. Its all Cash transactions without any Bills.

People like these have diffrent strategies to tackle such things yaar in Vashi InOrbit Mall its like this but they are retailers too and the Rules apply or else y do u think they give u a Bill writing Water & Glass instead of - Aaquafina , Bisleri etc

err no, the whole point is that they are not retailing anything..

water and drinks are part of their service..

it would have been a different story if the Food bazaar etc was charging over MRP.. which is kind of a retail store in most malls.

I guess the restaurants and malls are permitted by law to charge over and above mrp for ambience and services.

But please do note, this is only valid if you consume the said product while in their premises and are thereby making use of their ambience.

It does not apply if you have the product delivered to your home or a takeaway (they can have delivery charges but they have to price it according to MRP).

For example if you order a pizza on phone and a coke (not on a combo deal mind you), they cannot charge the coke over and above the MRP.

By stating "water + glass" they are simply stating that you consumed water in their premises and made use of their ambience and services so that they are free to charge them at exhorbitant rates!

sunny27 said:
are you guys forgetting those multiplexes where microscopic samosas sell for 30rs and a litre of mineral water would cost you 30-35rs.
Well I'll be damned. This is seriously the height of stupidity when it comes to over pricing stuff. I have always resented this rule at the cinema halls. The samosas barely have any potato content in it. :mad:

The hotels and restaurents are indeed allowed to sell things beyond the MRP as pointed out by free radical.

Once a court ruling did forced them not to, but not too mch time had passed wen the court again ruled that these eateries actually serve the water bottles chilled, as in above the room temp to the consumer for consumption and hence can levy the extra prices as per their own norms.
Apparently the court gave them the leverage by taking notice of the fact that water is served Cooled by the refrigeration units.

India is a gr8 country to live in for the tax payers.

Spacescreamer said:
The hotels and restaurents are indeed allowed to sell things beyond the MRP as pointed out by free radical.

Once a court ruling did forced them not to, but not too mch time had passed wen the court again ruled that these eateries actually serve the water bottles chilled, as in above the room temp to the consumer for consumption and hence can levy the extra prices as per their own norms.
Apparently the court gave them the leverage by taking notice of the fact that water is served Cooled by the refrigeration units.

India is a gr8 country to live in for the tax payers.
a 3times markup is not reasonable by any means, courts will rule the same if a specific price is mentioned in a case.

Not if they mention the price beforehand.

caveat emptor. The consumer has a choice to buy or not to buy.

besides, these guys don't even mention the product in question, so there is paucity of proof of services offered.

I suggest people desist buying from these malls to make a point. Sadly, thats all there is to do :(

Shun these leeches. There are better places to spend your hard earned money.

Well recently was pondering over this fact.. Regarding movie halls.
5 point someone's Chetan cribs abt 35/person ticket.. compare the prices now.

Okay if we take into count whatever the entertainment tax and movie ppl's cut .. the tickets have seen a steep rise. Still the owners claim that the main earning is from the food/snack bar they have.
I believe the movie halls were the places which started all this non sensical pricing of water bottles, and to top it all they wont let you bring your own bottles either, forcing ppl to purchase from them.

Cant something be done abt this ?? as allowing own non alchoholic drinks inside in some kind of transparent containers?

This is called looting. Over here at Chicago Water is free at IMAX,AMC theatre etc.

the best way to tackle is either complain or avoid it,remain thirsty ...LOL....

I use to go out of theatre have good samosas,pepsi from local vendors outside the mall and get back in :p

a trip to the multiplex now costs atleast 300rs for a movie and that includes one tub of popcorn unless you go in for the 9am/10am show.

no wonder there are people pirating movies--the film industry should understand this.the multiplexes are costing them dearly.

IIRC i have seen a 1 Litre bottle with MRP as Rs. 40 in one of the multiplexes and it was mentioned that "Special Pricing for XXXX Multiplex" :mad::mad:

sunny27 said:
a trip to the multiplex now costs atleast 300rs for a movie and that includes one tub of popcorn unless you go in for the 9am/10am show.
no wonder there are people pirating movies--the film industry should understand this.the multiplexes are costing them dearly.

this the reason i prefer watching movies at home..
for theater.. there is always a group of 5-6...
x300 is a lot of booze :lol:

They are absolutely within their legal right to charge at that price, the stall which you are mentioning needs to have restaurant license, once they get that they can charge over MRP.

I have been to Inorbit Vashi for the laser tag meet, and I came across atleast two water coolers? Why didnt you utilize them? They were proper machines which would purify water as well as cool them.

There will be very few restaurants which sell any sort of refreshment at MRP..

people fail to understand so many overheads that go into running in such a place. so many malls in delhi are not even close to surviving . many of these huge malls are backed by big banks and institutions that demand interest no matter what, and in turn it goes over to the owners and then retailers. a normal size shop in a mall near my place costs 3 lac a month as rent, and imagine many stores dont even have 2 times the sales from them ie not even 6 lacs sales. so how do you expect them to survive. it is only when rents for malls can come down will it happen but that is a lot ahead because these project run into 100's of cr , so their base interest it self is like 2 cr a month or 1.5 a month depending on market there about, then the electricity that goes into the malls , the staff security . its not really easy to run such a big thing, and if one is investing lacs of rs in one food chain he is entitled to earn pr try to earn, now if he also has sales of 30k 40k a day he will be more than happy to give the bottle of water at 13 rs coz then he can recover his costs from foods and be profitable .

^ well said. unless the builders and common people who are dumb keep buying these overprices small flats this cycle of overcharging will go on. I was thinking the stock market fall will burst the reality bubble, but damn people who are greedy will always keep prices of reality at a high even if it is less than half in reality now.

I would like to visit such places with 2.5L water bottle bought from out side at MRP. Even we can bargain for Products on which the word MRP written.

The best lesson to such gimmicks is STOP buying from there.

mediahome.in said:
people fail to understand so many overheads that go into running in such a place. so many malls in delhi are not even close to surviving . many of these huge malls are backed by big banks and institutions that demand interest no matter what, and in turn it goes over to the owners and then retailers. a normal size shop in a mall near my place costs 3 lac a month as rent, and imagine many stores dont even have 2 times the sales from them ie not even 6 lacs sales. so how do you expect them to survive. it is only when rents for malls can come down will it happen but that is a lot ahead because these project run into 100's of cr , so their base interest it self is like 2 cr a month or 1.5 a month depending on market there about, then the electricity that goes into the malls , the staff security . its not really easy to run such a big thing, and if one is investing lacs of rs in one food chain he is entitled to earn pr try to earn, now if he also has sales of 30k 40k a day he will be more than happy to give the bottle of water at 13 rs coz then he can recover his costs from foods and be profitable .

Does the same outlet owner will start to sell products at Lower than the price from the day they earning more than enough profit. Than I never mind to think on another part of THEIR BUSINESS (loss making)

Not a fair POLICY to earning profit or to manage loss start LOOT general people. Already for Rs.5/- manufacturing cost product we are paying Rs.12-14 & than also mallwalla (to settle loss) want us to shell Rs.16/- more over MRP.

I think if possible we should avoid visit such places or if you don't than stop complaining about them.

Choice is Yours/Ours :)

Back