13Rs Mineral water @ 30.00 Rupees at Inorbit Mall Vashi

Went to see Avatar this weekend some friends, cost of ticket 100 bucks, medium size bucket of popcorn 80 bucks.

I told the guy who was selling it, dont want it, instead of buying the popcorn might as well watch avatar one more time. The popcorn guy smiled coz he aslo knew that this was daylight robbery :)

Btw these small retail shops charge 2 bucks as cooling charge, is that legal?? They say that they have to pay for electricity thatz why they charge 2 bucks extra.

It is technically not but who cares about a couple of rupees. Its the multiplexes that are really looting the people.

TechHead said:
Nothing Dinesh can't clear up, I'm sure :)
I mean, when I'm quoted a price for something and I demand a bill, and I see the bill amount is 1k less than the amount I've paid, it's an issue, no?

That's a low blow if I've ever seen one :rofl:!

Funny how ethics are different for the same person in different situations...

On topic, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Prices should drop once enough people start doing that.

Naga said:
That's a low blow if I've ever seen one :rofl:!

Funny how ethics are different for the same person in different situations...

On topic, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Prices should drop once enough people start doing that.

Low blow how? The entire thread reeks of hypocrisy from the beginning. If the thread starter was anyone else, fine.. I wouldn't have an issue. But here, it's a major case of the pot calling the kettle black.

TechHead said:
Low blow how? The entire thread reeks of hypocrisy from the beginning. If the thread starter was anyone else, fine.. I wouldn't have an issue. But here, it's a major case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Cracked me up :rofl:

If only I could rep your this :cool2:

whatsinaname said:
Hahaha. Thread backfire.

Also, Capitalism. Deal with it. :p

This is not capitalism,this is clear cut cheating.
There was debate about this sometime back,same issue,cost of soft drinks in multiplexes.
What it finally reduces to is that when its given to you as is,you have to pay no more than the mrp but if they serve it to you they can charge what ever they want.

1ltr bottle of Aquafina-Mrp Rs.15

Same water served in a glass or something else- Can be Rs.1000(yes thousand).This is Capitalism.Take it or leave it.Competition will obviously bring down the price so it won't last for long.

Every stand on the floor,either influenced by others pricing or collectively deciding to sell it for Rs.100-Oligopoly

1ltr bottle of Aquafina sold for anything more than Rs15 and being given a receipt for anything else-Illegal

1ltr bottle of Aquafina sold as a glass of water for Rs30 collectively by everybody on the mall floor-Illegal Oligopoly,I believe the proper term would be collusion,not sure about this.

Arun1 said:
This is not capitalism,this is clear cut cheating.
There was debate about this sometime back,same issue,cost of soft drinks in multiplexes.
What it finally reduces to is that when its given to you as is,you have to pay no more than the mrp but if they serve it to you they can charge what ever they want.

1ltr bottle of Aquafina-Mrp Rs.15

Same water served in a glass or something else- Can be Rs.1000(yes thousand).This is Capitalism.Take it or leave it.Competition will obviously bring down the price so it won't last for long.

Every stand on the floor,either influenced by others pricing or collectively deciding to sell it for Rs.100-Oligopoly

1ltr bottle of Aquafina sold for anything more than Rs15 and being given a receipt for anything else-Illegal

1ltr bottle of Aquafina sold as a glass of water for Rs30 collectively by everybody on the mall floor-Illegal Oligopoly,I believe the proper term would be collusion,not sure about this.

You do know Oligopolies and Monopolies are still capitalism? A bad aspect of it and the best argument against pure capitalism, but still capitalism. ;)

It's just how you look at things. A mall.multiplex is a dispenser of food and entertainment. Vote with your money and go elsewhere.

^^^

Only wanted to point out the subtle differences.Any of the "polies" mentioned aren't illegal.What the mall people are doing though is illegal.

This has got nothing to do with the fact that we,including me, are all hypocrites anyway when it comes to things like this,just wanted to call out what is what because some people in this thread seem to think serving a glass of water and charging Rs.50 for it would be technically illegal when in fact its not.

TechHead said:
Low blow how?

Lol, you have to agree it was an unexpected response which must've hit hard! Seriously though, I do agree if you read my second comment about ethics in general :eek:hyeah:.

Arun1 said:
Any of the "polies" mentioned aren't illegal.What the mall people are doing though is illegal.
If you read what madnav wrote right at the beginning, then it isn't illegal. They literally have a 'license' to do so.

Now whether they deserve to have such a license is another question. The only reqmt is they provide a 'service' as opposed to a product, nice catchall isn't it :)

Naga said:

I'm not so sure about this given the high rents involved, most likely what would happen is those stalls would dissapear and only restaurants would sell water.

Back