Airtel implements caps on Unlimited plans.

I also never had any problems with Airtel...but if all isp's are going to follow this way....god help us...we may never know which is the best plan one could get..

one question. did anyone find out if the speed will be reduced only once...or will it be reduced further ..if we cross the limit again...and so on...and finally to dark age speed.

Why airtel is in the limelight ?

Because,

1. Airtel has wide base of customers over past few years in major metros and ~1year in Mumbai. So more ppl will rise up and protest !

2. P2P functionality is damn smooth no issues of ports,etc. I've ditched many isp's because they were exact flipside of this !

3. Customer service is simply great !

4. New and better plans @ affordable rates(cheap for many!).

The new regulation concludes the fear that has developed in customers. As for the wide customer base airtel will see mass protest ahead.

Tech. envy: I don't know if people with utorrent have noticed this, switch to peers tab(in lower half section) you can see ident. of the peers connected to your pc and majority of them with Indian flag will end with airtelbroadband.in. It is easy to read them, sometimes mumbai is mentioned in it. This proves that airtel is anytime well structured compared to any other isp's, technically speaking ! In Indian torrents you can see IP's that will never resolve its ident. as those belong to LAN connections, hathway,etc. This also gives an upperhand on phishers and hackers.

trai is to be blamed for such stupid decision :mad: :mad: :mad:

vegeta said:
Why airtel is in the limelight ?

Because,

1. Airtel has wide base of customers over past few years in major metros and ~1year in Mumbai. So more ppl will rise up and protest !

2. P2P functionality is damn smooth no issues of ports,etc. I've ditched many isp's because they were exact flipside of this !

3. Customer service is simply great !

4. New and better plans @ affordable rates(cheap for many!).
The new regulation concludes the fear that has developed in customers. As for the wide customer base airtel will see mass protest ahead.
Tech. envy: I don't know if people with utorrent have noticed this, switch to peers tab(in lower half section) you can see ident. of the peers connected to your pc and majority of them with Indian flag will end with airtelbroadband.in. It is easy to read them, sometimes mumbai is mentioned in it. This proves that airtel is anytime well structured compared to any other isp's, technically speaking ! In Indian torrents you can see IP's that will never resolve its ident. as those belong to LAN connections, hathway,etc. This also gives an upperhand on phishers and hackers.

trai is to be blamed for such stupid decision :mad: :mad: :mad:

but y is it airtel that has implemented it on priority basis ?

i had a talk with some Sify Navi Mumbai head division ppl and youtelecom mumbai, they all confirmed that they have not been asked or told do so by their parent branches.

even initiating such thing, they themselves claimed would result in loss of consumer base and trust.

let us see what happns next !

Thinking on their lines of Fair Usage policy ..if the user is reprised for excessive download ....why don't they formulate an Fair Billing Policy and reduce the bill when the download is within the limit....after all the 'unlimited' user have not used the bandwidth available to him...and the download limit is also not carried forward....

I will be bit cautious before letting off Airtel...will have to see the terms of other isp's on fair usage....

have checked with Airtecl CC and they have informed that the speed will be reduced only once in the month...so if we are a 1mbps user...it will be 512kbps....after reduced speed...but unlimited (- speed will not be reduced further) .....new airtel users cannot get this 512 unlimited at all as per the new plans available with them..so better hold on to it and see how other isp's react....

apart from my unlimited plan, i also have a 4gb limit plan.. are uploads counted too? im on airtel for both connections..

Actually Airtel has withdrawn all their unlimited plans except 256kbps and 384kbps. So, now there is no way to get 512kbps or 1mbps unlimited plan.

That too these 256kbps and 384kbps unlimited plans cost Rs 100 and Rs 200 more than their earlier price respectively..

Earlier 256kbps plan was available at Rs 799 and now the same plan costs Rs 899, whereas the 384kbps plan was available for 999Rs earlier, now costs Rs1199.

Wait not only these Airtel has introduced something called as Fair Use policy.

If you check their unlimited tariff plan you will notice a statement which says that "Speed subject to Airtel Fair Usage policy".
People are talking

We need to DO something instead of just sit around and complain. I'd suggest doing what this guys says:

By the way, Airtel told me that they will resolve my complaint by 1:30 PM today and I haven't heard from them yet. Will keep this group posted on the responses I get from them.

In the meantime people, let's get this to the mainstream media and tell them how Airtel is out to screw their own customers. They won't even flinch till someone starts talking bad about them and till the shareholders take notice.

So here are some suggestions:

* If you have a blog, then blog about this

* Join the Facebook group (there may be some issues for now about the Join link but they'll get fixed)

* Write to all the India specific tech blogs and sites that you know of about this - Tech 2.0, Chip, TechTree, TechShout, PC World etc

* Log complaints with customer care about this and tell them that the customers were not apprised. If they use the word "TRAI" ask them for the specifics - Article, clause, URL etc of the TRAI ruling if any - just don't let them use the word TRAI and get away with it

Some points to remember:

* We need "bandwidth huggers" who can get the best from the internet to spurn the economy in India by sharing the ideas that they find on the internet - if you can't experience the best, how do you spread the word?

* Take the example of Miro HD Video Player | Free internet tv and video podcast player. which promotes free Internet TV with an abundance of useful information for Indian audiences

* Take the example of a household with 2-4 users of broadband on 1 Wifi connection who would use their unlimited connection for completely legitimate purposes and still hit the cap in 10-15 days

* Take the example of people who download various Linux distros via torrents to distribute them to people who don't want to pirate a Windows and yet get a working operating system like Ubuntu for free

* Take the examples of Indian tech startups like Rajshri.com and In.com who are providing free video content on their sites to increase demand for their products and hence churn the economy

What Airtel is doing goes against all of the above. Yes, we might have alternatives but before that we need to know whether the culprit here is TRAI or Airtel or both. Till then, this needs an open debate before the TRAI implements something without consulting the consumers and sleeping with devils like Airtel.

Okay I was reading this and If I am right this is merely "consultation paper" and not the new policy from TRAI. They merely called upon service providers to "comment", this is what bharti ppl wrote in the last line..

4. Also the service providers should be free to implement fair usage policy and restrict the
few bandwidth huggers’ from the pack who deteriorate the experience of the majority
normal users.

this is not mandated by TRAI but merely a comment by Airtel ppl. If this has been implemented then its surely an unfair trade practice and Airtel can surely sued in the consumer court and also compalint to MRTPC be made..

EDIT: I am currently reading comments by other service providers, let me see what they have said.

setuniket said:
Okay I was reading this and If I am right this is merely "consultation paper" and not the new policy from TRAI. They merely called upon service providers to "comment", this is what bharti ppl wrote in the last line..

this is not mandated by TRAI but merely a comment by Airtel ppl. If this has been implemented then its surely an unfair trade practice and Airtel can surely sued in the consumer court and also compalint to MRTPC be made..

EDIT: I am currently reading comments by other service providers, let me see what they have said.

ejhattly.. even i've been jobless at work today and spent the day reading up on the thing at the trai website.

Firstly, the site is a broken p.o.s :mad:. Broken links all over the place.

The TRAI issued a consultation paper from ISP's asking them as to why the TRAI is still receiving so many complaints on the QOS front despite QOS standards being laid down in an earlier 2006 dated notification.

The TRAI is basically looking to do some good here. Working on Contention Ratios and how they should be defined so as to provide optimal service.

Some of the responses like those by the TENET group of IITM are real eyeopeners and show how leading operators like BSNL & Airtel (in a test case from Chennai) are falling well short of the QOS requirements.

What we CAN do is send complaints to the TRAI. Stop bashing the TRAI, they never recommended a Fair Use Clause. That is wholly Bharti Airtel's doing.

This fair use $hit is the idea of Bharti airtel, the day they restrict the speed of my BB connection, Will get the line disconnected(and make sure that lose 2 dozen more customers in my apartment complex), send them legal notice and if no proper reply is sent will sue them for damages and make whole Mittal clan as party in the local court..Then they will learn.

Read all this stalker, I am more of legal guy than technical one :p
Still from whatever I understand these guys are more focussing on wireless internet and atleast are not on capping UL guys :mad:

setuniket said:
Read all this stalker, I am more of legal guy than technical one :p

Still from whatever I understand these guys are more focussing on wireless internet and atleast are not on capping UL guys :mad:

lol yeah.. funny shite some of them have said. :rofl::rofl:

I am a little confused.... Can AIRTEL really implement this Fair Use Policy... What I understand is that I paid for a set amount of bandwidth in the manner of applicable rent + taxes... So that bandwidth is mine to use at my will (for unlimited plan)... Now its upto me to decide if I want to use it 100% 24/7 or a fraction of it... I am only getting what I paid for... its not that AIRTEL is giving me some extra bandwidth as charity....

I am paying the ISP for the speed at a price they asked.. The contention ratio as per TRAI should be maintained by them & its their responsibility to make sure they have enough bandwidth for all the users on the network... If they do not have enough bandwidth & they cram more & more users on the same pipe then they have no legal right to brag that the bandwidth luggers are using up all the bandwidth...

I paid for my share & I should get it fully...100%....

Its not like I go out to buy dinner & pay for it but should not get the whole portion 'coz others are left hungry 'coz of my dinner & the restaurant want me to suffer by giving my portions to these other patrons... :mad:

It doesn't make any sense to me... I would like to know the legal implication of such a situation....

Back