Airtel implements caps on Unlimited plans.

Dinesh_Malhotra said:
but y is it airtel that has implemented it on priority basis ?

i had a talk with some Sify Navi Mumbai head division ppl and youtelecom mumbai, they all confirmed that they have not been asked or told do so by their parent branches.

even initiating such thing, they themselves claimed would result in loss of consumer base and trust.

let us see what happns next !

Airtel is the best right now with very huge customer base. Sify is lowball... you know they used to set a dl limit of 150mb per day then your 128/256k UL plan goes 64k for that day or may be less.... this was like few years back, still i'm quiet sure sify doesn't deserve better rating then "average".
I think this is some kind of big JHOL in corporate industry.... I remember 8-10months back when reliance fresh came into existence in my area, 2mins walk from the market and most of the hawkers were extinct because of continuous bmc patrol for a week or more, then things came back to normal !!!

I guess a big plan has been setup to bring down airtel !!! Why airtel is opening the box first and any news about others ?

I called the Noida customer care centre a while back. The executive has no knowledge of any such policy(I made him double check with his senior).

^^ Pray that now u dont get the cuts. He mite get the details at his end and get the thing implemented.

Ignorance was bliss.. and now u mite be the harbinger of doom :p

guys before you go running off to consumer court think twice...Airtel will probably have a log of all the things you have downloaded which would mostly be pirated movies, games etc...They could just say that you were using the connection for illegal purposes...

Spacescreamer said:
^^ Pray that now u dont get the cuts. He mite get the details at his end and get the thing implemented.
Ignorance was bliss.. and now u mite be the harbinger of doom :p

haha.
10chars

Fahrenheit said:
guys before you go running off to consumer court think twice...Airtel will probably have a log of all the things you have downloaded which would mostly be pirated movies, games etc...They could just say that you were using the connection for illegal purposes...

:ashamed: Not to mention,everything is illegal on 'the interweb' these days.:rofl: :rofl:

Fahrenheit said:

Not everyone is a pirate

Take the example of a household with 2-4 users of broadband on 1 Wifi connection who would use their unlimited connection for completely legitimate purposes and still hit the cap in 10-15 days

jaganm said:
I consider myself to be quite a heavy user, surfing for 4-5 hours a day, downloading lots of podcasts and watching quite a few videos, but I doubt my usage goes beyond 20 GB a month. I could very easily go on the metered plan and save some money, but I have always chosen the highest speed unlimited plan simply because I don't want to waste my time worrying about the bill at the end of the month.

Coming to your usage, I definitely think you would be in the top 1-2% of users. It is not for me to say whether it is excessive or not, because each person's needs are different.

Look, I don't support the fact that Airtel has introduced a cap. All I'm saying is that the caps are high enough that a very large percentage of their clientele will hardly notice. And I am happy that instead of charging for additional usage, they have decided to throttle us.

The other point is that while the caps may be adequate for the average usage of today, they may prove totally inadequate for the future where things like online video, cloud computing etc may play a big role. One should hope that they will move the caps upwards as things evolve.
dude when i pay airtel for 512Kbps UL I expect to transfer (down+up)=2x(64KB/sx60sx60mx24hx30d)=2x165888000KB=2x158.2 GB=316 GB of data every month .. every minute my pc is shutdown coz of powercut or dls are paused coz some1 wants to watch videos on youtube i consider it as a loss of my money.. now some1 at airtel has got a brainwave .. hey how come these few guys are getting the most juice outta their service nd voila!! here comes the caps.. :mad: ..

john117 said:
dude when i pay airtel for 512Kbps UL I expect to transfer (down+up)=2x(64KB/sx60sx60mx24hx30d)=2x165888000KB=2x158.2 GB=316 GB of data every month .. every minute my pc is shutdown coz of powercut or dls are paused coz some1 wants to watch videos on youtube i consider it as a loss of my money.. now some1 at airtel has got a brainwave .. hey how come these few guys are getting the most juice outta their service nd voila!! here comes the caps.. :mad: ..

^ Presto, now we have a case! ^

But, in the case of Comcast, the only reason why they lost was because they didnt inform their userbase (of throttling). Airtel has informed / will be informing us. ANd thereby , if you dont like it, please leave.

All in all, this entire fiasco, is going to open a can of worms which is not good for anyone, and trust me when i say that. Its more worse coz we are in india, and there are no norms that are set (I.E Privacy, ISP flashes what you have been downloading, and stuff like that). The best that can be done, is either leave airtel, leave india, or get another ISP who does not have any such bullshit in its ToS.

Fahrenheit said:
incorrect. No where in their Terms and Conditions they have mentioned anything about keeping a log about what you surf or download. If they do it without the customer knowing, it will be invasion of privacy law.

Also only a dumb will run bit torrent without encryption ;)

NeXT said:
incorrect. No where in their Terms and Conditions they have mentioned anything about keeping a log about what you surf or download. If they do it without the customer knowing, it will be invasion of privacy law.

Also only a dumb will run bit torrent without encryption ;)

incorrect!! if u think u are safe using encryption .. then u are wrong .. it only encrypts the header of the packet.. so if u r isp is throttling torrent traffic then it wont be able to do so ..but there is now way u can keep ur ip address concealed ... u can be traced even behind a proxy..:eek:hyeah:

Fahrenheit said:

Thats certainly none of their business, If I am downloading illegal stuff then its also the responsibility of ISP's that such data is not allowed to be downloaded, still then its clearly deficiency in service. If they are allowing me the download illegal content then they are also responsible as they have knowledge about the illegality but took no action for so long. You see, you dont throw stones on others when you live in glass houses..:p

They are no one to decide what's legal and illegal, thats the job of different authority.

I don't think the issue of P2P or illegal downloads will pop up here. Airtel will surely have that in mind, but they cannot make an excuse stating that reason. But I do differ on the opinion that it will take a long time for the matter to be settled in court. Consumer courts are pro active these days, and if you know how to take up the issue effectively, it can be done quickly.

Well, i called Customer Care and got this confirmed that for my 384kbps unlimited plan, the cap is 25 GB after which the speed would be reduced to 192kbps.

What the f***...I pay 1150 bucks for browsing at 384kbps and then they cut this to half like in 7~8 days.
I download ~90GB of data per month and i pay the ISP for that. If not i would have taken just a 400bucks plan.

Anyway, Airtel has started mailing customers regarding this new policy and it will be sent along with the next bills for everyone.

So, i cancelled my Airtel and now am on Sify 512kbps unlimited at 1300 bucks all inclusive...:eek:hyeah:

Airtel sucks...:mad:

^^Good that you cancelled the connection.... everyone should follow suit. But not before :mad: :mad: the customer care guys. We know its not their fault and they are just zombies sitting in that 2 x 2 cube reading a dumb manual written by a 3 year old. But we need someone to vent our anger on...
Even i am thinking of calling the customer care and blasting them...although i do not have airtel broadband connection. Just for the heck of it... :eek:hyeah:

Sad news indeed.What could be a possible way ahead?10gb is nothing for 256kbps plan,i can't believe it.Has airtel implemented this policy through out India or is it for selected few circles only?

In which circles this has been implemented.... I am only seeing this mentioned in the plans of South Indian states right now on Airtel's site....

Back