Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hellwrath

I respect your opinion. It's a fair one. And others who countered yours have their own experience and knowledge backing their opinions.

I am fond of photography. I have sony p200 bought 4 yrs ago. The counter has reached 9000 mark. The collection I have is of my family(specially my son and my niece) at various occasions/trips and so on. And I want these pictures to be really good. Because they do not sit Idle in my machine. I make stories out of them now (pictures to slideshow), collages for home and everyone likes those.

I will be a newbie to DSLR. Even if it needs practice and learning, i'm sure that would be fun. I want to try out the manual controls and see if I can achieve good results. In case I am not able to do so.. I will sell it and get a better P&S.

There's so much I have learnt from this thread already. :)

blueren said:
Yes, those modes are included under definition of "manual" :) Stuff that p&s don't offer
Actuallty a lot of P&S cameras do offer that. When I had my 6 year old Fujifilm S5600 it had all the modes my current DSLR have - P, A, S, M modes. I used to use the P mode on the Fuji and I use the A mode on my Sony.

My S5600 even had a spot meter which the Canon 1000D lacks !!! :p

mk76 said:
@Hellwrath

I respect your opinion. It's a fair one. And others who countered yours have their own experience and knowledge backing their opinions.

I am fond of photography. I have sony p200 bought 4 yrs ago. The counter has reached 9000 mark. The collection I have is of my family(specially my son and my niece) at various occasions/trips and so on. And I want these pictures to be really good. Because they do not sit Idle in my machine. I make stories out of them now (pictures to slideshow), collages for home and everyone likes those.

I will be a newbie to DSLR. Even if it needs practice and learning, i'm sure that would be fun. I want to try out the manual controls and see if I can achieve good results. In case I am not able to do so.. I will sell it and get a better P&S.

There's so much I have learnt from this thread already. :)

Well, I wouldn't be undermining anyone on this forum :). My only point was that, would your investment return either in terms of monetary benefit or the satisfaction/happiness. What I am trying to bring about is the awareness that DSLR won't make you an awesome photographer overnight and would take effort. I have personally seen a lot of people diving into DSLR and then realizing that it was too much to handle and ended up being unhappy and especially after they invested so much. If you are game and want to give it a shot, you should. But just that expectations have to be set before taking up anything, that's all I am trying to do :). Also, these kind of discussions will help any new buyer who is contemplating on buying a DSLR.

People looking to buy an entry level DSLR can add this to their list. It will be launched on the 18/19th.

Nikon D3100 (leaked):

* 14 MP CMOS Sensor (23.2 x 15.5 mm)

* Live View

* 3 inch Display

* 100 – 12800 ISO

* ISO setting manual or automatic

* 11 AF points

* full HD Video (1920 x 1080)

* price 650 €

* new EXPEED2 processor

* improved objects recognition for the AF control

* improved in-camera menu

* user can save picture profiles

actually, i read somewhere that this price includes 19% vat. also, we should compare euro pricing to dollar pricing. expect the dollar pricing to be a little lower. below $700 maybe. its a replacement for the d3000, so it cant possibly be $899. although, it may be slotted closer to the d5000.

vb86 said:
actually, i read somewhere that this price includes 19% vat. also, we should compare euro pricing to dollar pricing. expect the dollar pricing to be a little lower. below $700 maybe. its a replacement for the d3000, so it cant possibly be $899. although, it may be slotted closer to the d5000.
sorry, that wasn't 899 but 831.. On engadget.. but I guess they were just directly converting.

May be there is something to come from Canon's stable too on 26th Aug..

werwe.jpg

Last time when they made conference at BAFTA, they announced Canon 550D

Pentax is launching 2 new dslrs at Photokina in September, one each above the current Kx and K7. May even launch an EVIL camera.

Sony is also launching new cameras with 2 pellix based DSLR cameras with EVF with 14mp and 16mp sensor similar to the one found on the NEX and 2 more DSLR with regular OVF.
sonyt.jpg

vb86 said:
^ should be the 60d afaik!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also:

Some are guessing it as an arrival of world’s first Pellicle mirror system on a DSLR camera

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

For this written is a website... Unfortunate..

Whoops. This is a private event where everyone will be signing non-disclosure agreements, so even if those attending are introduced to the camera, we might not hear about it for a while. The Nikon and Canon events should yield public announcements though. Sony might be planning to announce these things publicly at Photokina in late September.

Does anyone have information on pricing & availability of Nikon D3100 in india?
Nikon india has listed the product but doesnt say about these two things.[/LEFT]

Nikon D3100 is official priced at $699 with 18-55VR lens,i think the price is right.

Also rumored is the Sony A55 and A35 cameras ,according to the source they say the EVF in these , only loose out to A900?:S
1f3fce86d662477f9a73f4ed056f4c5d.jpg

08190afb7b284dddb536ae640a0dd2a0.jpg

c9b1360adc904eebac6f0735d8bdbb9d.jpg

^^ I wouldn't trust Sony's BS marketing, but I am looking forward to those cameras. I doubt the EVF is very good but ifs its bright and big enough I will be OK with it.

They feature the quick nav system like my A700 (allows for quick changes of settings using only one controller) and the thing I am most looking forward to, the swinging LCD screen. Now I am going to have a blast using my Sigma 10-20mm. :D

alex001 said:
Does anyone have information on pricing & availability of Nikon D3100 in india?
Nikon india has listed the product but doesnt say about these two things.[/LEFT]

Well it was launched just a few hours back :p today (19th August) ....Hottest news in photography world today :)

It will be difficult to find it even in US so early.... Wait for some time for it to come to India

BF1983 said:
^^ I wouldn't trust Sony's BS marketing, but I am looking forward to those cameras. I doubt the EVF is very good but ifs its bright and big enough I will be OK with it.

They feature the quick nav system like my A700 (allows for quick changes of settings using only one controller) and the thing I am most looking forward to, the swinging LCD screen. Now I am going to have a blast using my Sigma 10-20mm. :D
Its not sony who said that,i believe it was either SAR or DChome.

heyy guys yesterday I went to buy the eos 1000D, but I thought I should take the feel of it before I take the plunge. I was very excited about the camera, reading a zillion reviews beforehand and have been saving up for about six months.
but, to my horror, the moment I held the camera, I felt very wierd.it just didn't feel right, the grip was way too small for my taste and the texture was just not right.. So I thought wait a sec. Thats not right. Then i thought i must see how the D3000 feels and well, as soon as I held, it felt like an extension of my arm.. I don't know whether you guys notice this, i really loved the D3000 for all it was, then I tried D5000 and it felt only better. Confused as I was i thought to myself, it's about time I returned to the forum.
now lack of live view,video doesn't bother me much, but lack of an Auto Focus motor is what concerns me.. i wan't to ask you guys if buying the af-s lens is going to cost me much more than what the regular ef-s lens without motors will cost in canon? As of now the only lenses i can see myself buying in near future isa 50mm prime, 55-250mm tele zoom and maybe a 300mm prime(much later).. Could guys please tell me how much should I be expecting to spend more, when I am thinking of autofocus in the ranges since all of them will have to be with internal autofocus motors.
and is buying the nikon a good decision?
P.S. With the advent of D3100 i'm only more confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back