Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
arun687 said:
^

Android 2.2 Froyo was a major update which optimized the OS and made it much faster. 2.3 update again has a few more fixes and minor changes. But none of these 2 is a major overhaul of the system that requires more system resources.

So can Galaxy 3 run 2.3 ?

Depends on how devs will go about supporting 2.1 in their future apps, but as of now, most apps work just fine. Remember that there's only Nexus S with 2.3 officially available as of now.

Yeah, but developers tend to concentrate on future OSs right ? [I may be wrong].

I urgently need a phone now [my current phone went kaput], I was searching for Android phones and I have decided not to buy it unless it's Google Dev Phone, as no news of Nexus S India, I thought to buy a cheap Android device and later I can buy Android. So I was wondering that Galaxy 3 would be future proof

[here's my thread - http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phone-buying-advice/need-a-phone-35k-181736.html]]

big.bad.boi said:
Hey guys, i have samsung galaxy s, my company has forced us to buy nokia c5 as that phone has unique feature of uploading latitude / longitude along with the picture we upload in out database. All i want to know that is there any app available on android platform for Galaxy which can do this work? I will save 8k & buy some useful stuff i need than buying a phone just to upload lat's & longitudes. Please guys let me know quick, today is probably my last day of keeping myself away from that silly expense.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but isn't this geotagging ? I think its there on a lot of phones and also on the Galaxy S by default. Just switch on your GPS and stand in the open and click a pic and the photo gets tagged with location and longitude and lattitude

Came across this, which is the main reason why I'm avoiding Android so far, hope they come to their senses by 3.0/honeycomb:

satine.org – The Care and Feeding of the Android GPU

via slashdork: The Care and Feeding of the Android GPU - Slashdot

Android composites the interface in software to retain compatibility with lower-class devices. Additionally, Android runs Java bytecode during animation, and garbage collection blocks the drawing system. Google engineers dismiss the desire for hardware-accelerated compositing and cite more powerful hardware and an avoidance of temporary objects as a solution to the collection pauses

Striker10 said:
Please advise about the warranty.. Will the service center check for LG apps incase its sent for servicing/repair?

Yes, rooting voids warranty, but you can easily un root.
I am guessing if the service tech guy is smart enough and sees no stock apps in the phone, he might think you rooted.

Again, if for some reason you have some problem with you phone, you can always unroot, reinstall the custom rom with stock apps, then your software would be good as new and no way for the service tech to know if you rooted.

Personally i would advise against rooting, since there is a possibility that you might brick your phone, i.e render it dead. Then you will be stuck with an over priced rock.

Has anyone got idea on HTC Desire HD retail pricing in India? It got launched officially couple days back i think.

Smith_shah said:
Yes, rooting voids warranty, but you can easily un root.
I am guessing if the service tech guy is smart enough and sees no stock apps in the phone, he might think you rooted.

Again, if for some reason you have some problem with you phone, you can always unroot, reinstall the custom rom with stock apps, then your software would be good as new and no way for the service tech to know if you rooted.

Personally i would advise against rooting, since there is a possibility that you might brick your phone, i.e render it dead. Then you will be stuck with an over priced rock.

You obviously haven't ever rooted your phone, is that correct? Rooting can brick your phone if you don't read instructions. But even a 10 year old can root with ease. There are 1 click programs that make the process painfree. Trust me on that. I was as sceptical as you are before I rooted my HTC Desire, and I can tell you that it has opened up a whole new world. I enjoy my phone a LOT more after rooting it.

laemo said:
You obviously haven't ever rooted your phone, is that correct? Rooting can brick your phone if you don't read instructions. But even a 10 year old can root with ease. There are 1 click programs that make the process painfree. Trust me on that. I was as sceptical as you are before I rooted my HTC Desire, and I can tell you that it has opened up a whole new world. I enjoy my phone a LOT more after rooting it.

Yes, i have rooted my phone, and Rooting can brick your phone, i was informing the dude of the "possibility" since he's new to Android, and there have been MANY incidents of people bricking their phone. And contrary to what you might think, rooting does not "Open up a whole new world", personally as far as i am concerned, rooting is necessary "more" for the low end Android phones in the market, which have low internal memory, low processors and such. Rooting is helpful sure, but not nearly worth it for a newbie to attempt rooting with the possibility of bricking his phone.

For anyone new to Android, get familiar with the Android system first, and only then attempt to root the phone.

Gonna get the HTC DEsire HD soon, after selling my Acer Liquid E Ferrari Edition on eBay.

Does anyone know if the HTC HD can be overclocked? And till how much?

Anybody know if Brut maps can be Used on Android 2.2 powered LG Optimus One. I basically want to use GPS in flight mode with cached maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back