Anna Hazare's fast against corruption

Re: Anna Hazare arrested by Delhi police ahead of today's fast.

Did I mention about how I thought Salman Kurshid was the pimp of diplomacy?

Jan Lokpal Bill: Government, Team Anna talks stuck on three issues
Expressing concern, Khurshid said: "A good bill can come 10-15 days later but a fast cannot be broken 20 days later. So if we look at the priorities of urgency, then the urgency that the fast must come to an end is far greater, more serious than the urgency to pass the bill."
The fact that the govt has sent him to negotiate with team anna shows that they have been put in a tough place.

Was digging around and looking how other countries react to corruption, like say China

Prominent anti-corruption cases in China are often an outgrowth of factional struggles for power in the CCP, as opponents use the "war of corruption" as a weapon against rivals in the Party or corporate world.

Came across this para from Chinese officials in favour of corruption. Just see the reasons they give..

Others, including local officials, play down the negative impacts of corruption, and local cadres frown on anticorruption efforts for three reasons:
- a preoccupation with rooting out corruption may lead to cautiousness about new practices;
- corruption may act as a "lubricant" to "loosen up" the bureaucracy and facilitate commercial exchanges; and
- thirdly, corruption is a necessary trade-off and inevitable part of the process of reform and opening up.

They argue that the destructiveness of corruption in the Chinese context helps transfer or reallocate power from officials, perhaps even enabling the rise of a "new system" and acting as a driving force for reform.
Deng had said earlier that price of progress was corruption.

Three types of corruption are common in China: graft, rent-seeking, and prebendalism.

Graft is the most common and refers to bribery, illicit kickbacks, embezzlement, and theft of public funds. Graft involves something of value given to, and accepted by, public officials for dishonest or illegal purposes. It include officials spending fraudulently or using public funds for their own benefit.

Rent-seeking refers to all forms of corrupt behaviour by people with monopolistic power. Public officials, through granting a license or monopoly to their clients, get "rents"—additional earnings as a result of a restricted market. Rent-seeking happens when officials grant rents to those in their favor. This is akin to cronyism. In the Chinese case, public officials are both rent-generators and rent-seekers, both making rent opportunities for others and seeking such opportunities to benefit themselves. This may include profiteering by officials or official firms, extortion in the form of illicit impositions, fees, and other charges.

Prebendalism refers to when incumbents of public office get privileges and perquisites through that office. Controlling an office entitles the holder to rents or payments for real or fake activities, and organizations are turned from places of work into "resource banks" where individuals and groups pursue their own interests. Prebendal corruption doesn't necessarily need to be about monetary gain, but may include usurpation of official privilege, backdoor deals, clientelism, cronyism, nepotism.

Corruption in the PRC has developed in two major ways. In the first mode, corruption is in the form of ostensibly legal official expenditure, but is actually wasteful and directed toward private benefits. For example, the increasing number of local governments building massive administrative office buildings that resemble luxurious mansions. At the same time, many corrupt local officials have turned their jurisdictions into virtual “mafia states,” where they collude with criminal elements and unsavory businessmen in illegal activities.
Sounds familiar :)

China as you would know has ppl that have no less the same frustration as we feel about corruption in fact possibly much more given the large number of protests that happen there since 2005 and the fact that the media isn't as supportive as ours nor are there any NGOs that can agitate on this cause. The roots of the Tianamen protest were down to frustrations over corruption.

This is the chain message spreading like fire & being shared on FB :

In 1982, In Singapore, LOKPAL BILL was implemented and 142 Corrupt Ministers & Officers were arrested in one single day.. Today Singapore has only 1% poor people & no taxes are paid by the people to the government, 92% Literacy Rate, Better Medical Facilities, Cheaper Prices, 90% Money is white & Only 1% Unemployment exists.. Re Post this if you want to live in a corruption free country.. !!

Hows much of this is true ? I don't think it is far comparison because of the huge Indian population & no. of Govt. employees in India compared to Singapore.

LOL @ comparing a 1000 sq km 'country' with a 3L+ sq km one. How intelligent.

Just hit "1982 Lokpal Singapore 142" you will be shocked to see so many results !

Link to their site - CPIB: Introduction & there is no such mention of arrests :p

hahaha , wonder why the media never caught that on... the A-team :D ,,,,

any idea what the endgame is going to be , good to see the govt show some backbone in the end but to what end is very confusing ... must say hazare is showing a lot of strength for a fasting 74 year old

^ I saw him drinking water yesterday. May be I am mistaken. Isn't he fasting fully?

blr_p said:
The roots of the Tianamen protest were down to frustrations over corruption.

Wrong. The main reason was that the students and the young wanted a economic liberalization, political democracy, freedom of speech and of the media etc. Corruption was one of the underlying reasons but not one of the main reasons. One of the main reasons was the pent up frustration over the government policies and its "cleansing" of people opposing Govt. policies during the cultural revolution etc.

Just wanted to correct Mr. Tiwari here. Sorry for the OT :(.

agantuk said:
^ I saw him drinking water yesterday. May be I am mistaken. Isn't he fasting fully?

Human body cannot survive without water for more than 2-3 days, basic science taught in 5th or 6th I guess, :p. Without food it can survive even for months, depending on a lot of other factors:D

avi said:
This is the chain message spreading like fire & being shared on FB :

In 1982, In Singapore, LOKPAL BILL was implemented and 142 Corrupt Ministers & Officers were arrested in one single day.. Today Singapore has only 1% poor people & no taxes are paid by the people to the government, 92% Literacy Rate, Better Medical Facilities, Cheaper Prices, 90% Money is white & Only 1% Unemployment exists.. Re Post this if you want to live in a corruption free country.. !!

Oh yeah its very true. Singaporeans suddenly felt the need to name a bill in Hindi, and Anna Hazare and team rode in on flying Unicorns and performed the arrests using magic wands. Really. Now post this on FB and watch the wannabe patriots copy+paste :p

Crazy_Eddy said:
Oh yeah its very true. Singaporeans suddenly felt the need to name a bill in Hindi, and Anna Hazare and team rode in on flying Unicorns and performed the arrests using magic wands. Really. Now post this on FB and watch the wannabe patriots copy+paste :p
There are idiots who circulate sms and email stating you can detect fibre optic cable of spy camera using mobile phone as detector.

Not to mention something like that ends up being a topic of discussion on TE.

So what is this in front of that. :p
There are always few who speak out of their ar$e

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk Pro.

agantuk said:
LOL @ comparing a 1000 sq km 'country' with a 3L+ sq km one. How intelligent.

So if we divide India into smaller 1000sqkm countries, it will help?

Crazy_Eddy said:

08030088502 , ye kiran bedi ka number he , high court ne 25 carore logo ka support manga he Lokpal bill ke liye . 1 ring ke baad call cut jayega. aapka support register ho jayega. so please call on this number , and give your support. JAY HIND....

:megafacepalm:

Since we are all sharing something from our SMS or email, here is one from me. I don't follow this thread everyday so don't know if this has already been shared.

Agar Anna ki shadi ho gai hoti to ye andolan kabhi na hota.

1. Kahan ja rahe ho?

2. Akele tumhi ko padi hai?

3. Is Kejariwal ka sath chodo?

4. wo boycut baal wali ladki kaun hai? bar bar bagal me aakar baith jati hai.

5. jaldi aa jaoge na?

6. pahunchte hi fone karna?

7. Ye kaam to yahi kar sakte ho,bahar jane ki kya jarurat hai.

8. Ham bhi chale?

9. Achchhaa mere liye kya laaoge?

10. Delhi me meri mausi rahti hai, vo achaar dengi lete aana........

chiron said:
08030088502 , ye kiran bedi ka number he , high court ne 25 carore logo ka support manga he Lokpal bill ke liye . 1 ring ke baad call cut jayega. aapka support register ho jayega. so please call on this number , and give your support. JAY HIND....

Karnataka HC now decides these things too? Wow

sadly people in my township did that missed call thing and totally refused to blv that nothing of that sort happened, herd mentality

Back