Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

No it's not correct you might have set high cache value in transmission and your ports might not being forwarded

Its under Transmissions Options if you use Transmission Remote GUI or refer cache-size-mb in settings.json.

Running multiple downloads would slow down but the overall speed would be achieved how much slowness do you see ?

Its under Transmissions Options if you use Transmission Remote GUI or refer cache-size-mb in settings.json.

Running multiple downloads would slow down but the overall speed would be achieved how much slowness do you see ?

It's like on my 2Mbps on which generally i receive around 1.8 Mbps (~216 KB/s) , the average speed after 4 hours of usage clocked was at 100-110Kb/s .

I will check the cache-size-mb , today . How much should it ideally be ?

It should be 4MB thats the default and that speed of 216 Kb is ok for torrents 'm hoping you are on private trackers

What features would you be using, if you are not using it as a downloader?

Compared to default firmware, the dd wrt firmware allows me to see the bandwidth being used, has inbuilt wol support, the mac address filtering is better, IMO. plus with installation of optware, can install a usb sound card too
<

ok finally flashing my router with DD-WRT,

i've some questions, please answer them

-which version of DD-WRT should i flash it with? latest is "03-19-12-r18777"

-does it void the warranty of the router.

-i just need the firmware,not going to use torrent/usb function(not now anyway). I can install it without any of this optware thing right?(stock firm giving me headaches, just need a stable router)

-you suggested to Set PC to use a static IP, Ex. 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1

i've my network setting set to "obtain ip address automatically"

and this is my network info

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Crytek-PC

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-67-33-10-91

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4c6c:5712:6948:c768%13(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 March 2012 AM 11:37:06

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 March 2012 AM 11:37:05

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218116199

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-6F-8E-64-00-30-67-33-10-91

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

now how should i put the ip settings manually with the above values?

and lastly i can't acces my mtnl modem config page through 192.168.1.1(it is set in bridge mode) & i access asus router config page through 192.168.2.1.

Is this going to make any problems?

thanks
<

1. Check notes for fixes in version of dd wrt before applying you need to make a choice on your own the first version 168** was very stable
  2. Yes it voids warranty but you always go back to stock to un-avoid it.
  3. Yes optware is not required.
  4. Ok so how did you even set to pickup dynamically ? The answer lies below it.
  5. You wont be able to use modem page once you set it in bridge mode ? You wont need modem page again the router page gives you more than enough info.

#[member='dinjo']

Can you tell me what do i have to edit in the start up script to mount /mnt partition (the downloads ) one as ext 2 . since i want to setup a pendrive for downloads too .

Hi,

Fist of all I want to thank 'dinjo'

I bought this router after reading your article & its working really fine.

I have managed to install all the optware & running transmission successfully. So THANKS again.

Now, few things that I would like to share

1. As regard to the new firmware versions such as 03-19-12-r18777 (I am presently using this one). The main thing about this new firmware is that it has in-built File System support. So there is no need to use "Mount FS by Download Method" as shown by dinjo or "automount method" as given in dd-wrt page. However, I was not able to mount ext3 after multiple tries. So I went for ext2, & it worked like a charm. Only thing the 'opt' is mounted automatically. I had to mount 2nd partition as mnt manually. So you guys may try the new firmware if you want. However, as dinjo has pointed above, it may not be as stable as earlier versions. But it's working fine for me for last 2 days. The link for new firmware is "ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/"
  2. As far as optware & transmission is concerned, the instructions given by dinjo worked perfectly well, without a glitch.
  3. The most important thing there is the file system should mount correctly i.e. it should be recognised & there should not be error, while mounting FS. Use the 'dmesg' command to check whether there is any error while loading FS. If FS loads correctly, then all other things such installing optware & transmission works perfectly.
  4. Device name "/dev/discs/disc0/part1" is not standard. You may get a different name such as "/dev/sda1". So make necessary changes for your device.
  5. The command for checking contents of directory is "ls' (similar to dir command). It is useful, if you have doubt as to whether a particular file of folder has been created.
  6. "Copy & paste" actually works in putty. Copy the command. Select the Putty window. Right click where you want to paste the command. It gets pasted directly. Ctrl+V did not work for me. This is in windows. Did not tried in linux.
  7. While trying to access ftp & samba & transmission, change ip address appropriately to match your routers ip address. For me I am using router in repeater bridge mode. So my ip is 192.168.1.2, which I had to substitute in place of 192.168.1.1.
  8. The last thing. I actually did not try dinjo's method of "Mount FS by Download". I first tried "automount method", which did not work even after multiple tries. So finally I tried latest firmware, which worked, but only when I used ext2 partition. Not with ext3. Obviously things may work out differently for you.

Now few queries,
  1. What does the iptable command in Firewall does. dinjo has told to insert certain iptable commands in Firewall.
  2. Does using ext2 result in any disadvantages as compared to ext3. I have read wiki page & all, but can someone explain it to me in simpler language.
  3. Does this command "echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/allow_restart" to resolve HDD spindown issue works for all devices? My partitions are shown as /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda2. So, will it work for them?
  4. How to switch off the router or detach the HDD? I have added the following commands as shutdown script

#!/bin/sh

killall transmission-daemon

umount -rl /mnt

umount -rl /opt

Are they correct? & what I am exactly supposed to do? Should I reboot the router & then detach the HDD?

I read somewhere if we press "Reboot Router" on Management page, the unmount script are not run. But if we press "Apply Settings button then only unmount scripts are run.

Also my start up script is as follows

mount -o rw -t ext2 /dev/sda2 /mnt

echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/allow_restart

sleep 60

/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /opt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon

Is it correct?

Really speaking I have not switched off / rebooted the router since I managed to get the things running. Because I am afraid if switch it off or rebooted, I may screw the things. So could you please advise me as to my start up & shutdown settings.

Regards

J

However, I was not able to mount ext3 after multiple tries. So I went for ext2, & it worked like a charm. Only thing the 'opt' is mounted automatically. I had to mount 2nd partition as mnt manually. So you guys may try the new firmware if you want.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ext2 was always there but you need to invoke at startup but how unreliable ext2 can be hence i never used it[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The last thing. I [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]actually did not try dinjo's [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]method of "Mount FS by Download". I first tried "automount method", which did not work even after multiple tries. So finally I tried latest firmware, which worked, but only when I used ext2 partition. Not with ext3[/font]

The way its documented at dd wrt is really poor i was able to do so after reading it first and then trying on why its being written only to realize that part was incorrectly written.

Device name "/dev/discs/disc0/part1" is not standard. You may get a different name such as "/dev/sda1". So make necessary changes for your device

The device would always be listed in above location however how linux identifies your drive is different i.e sda , sdc , sdb etc

What does the iptable command in Firewall does. dinjo has told to insert certain iptable commands in Firewall

It opens upon your system to work on required port outside the network

Does using ext2 result in any disadvantages as compared to ext3. I have read wiki page & all, but can someone explain it to me in simpler language.

Journaling Filesystem is biggest advantage on ext2 as it saves the fs from getting corrupted

Does this command "echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/allow_restart" to resolve HDD spindown issue works for all devices? My partitions are shown as /dev/sda1 & /dev/sda2. So, will it work for them?

Yes its for all sda are internal mounts in linux this is the actual location of disk within linux you can avoid it if your hdd does not goes into hardisk spindown

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]killall [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][All Services you are currently running][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]umount -rl /mnt[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]umount -rl /opt[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]/usr/sbin/shutdown now -h[/font]

To dinjo

The script given for firewall has address of 192.168.1.1.

My router (N13U B1) ip is 192.168.1.2 &amp; my ADSL modem's (cum router) ip is 192.168.1.1 &amp; I have connect N13U B1 to modem with Repeater bridge (wireless) mode. Should I still use 192.168.1.1 or change it to 192.168.1.2.

u have 2 options :

1. use the modem to connect to the internet ( username and password settings in modem) modem ip 192.168.1.1 , router 192.168.1.2

2. use the modem in bridge mode, use pppoe on the router, enter username and password on router , router ip 192.168.1.1 ( this is what i prefer)

having router as .1 or .2 is not that a big deal, its just .2 instead of .1 on the router, so all settings change accordingly

Back