Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

@cyberwiz

FTP is faster than Samba

@meetdriver

It depends how comfortable you are with linux and Seagate Dockstar is not easily available.Asus RT-N13U is a superior router but Dockstar provides option to install Debian

cyberwiz said:
umm..is that 5 MBps or Mbps..assuming that its 5 MBps do u think its sufficient to quickly transfer large files? Also do u get that speed when writing to the HD or reading from it ?
It's ~5 mBps, while copying from router to pc or vice versa. FTP maybe faster though, as dinjo pointed out. Samba is only for convenience, if there's large chunk of data to be transferred, FTP would be better.

^ i asked coz instead of taking the router route i chose to install a cheap NAS (NAS K330) bought off dealextreme..not satisfied at all with the performance (though it seems ok for the price)..i get ~ 4 MBps on samba which is quite slow when it gets to blue-ray rips or other large files..plus if i put 3 or more torrents on transmission the device gets real slow with response times..i am sure with the routers flashed with DDWRT etc it would be the same..IMO users are better off buying an ATOM powered PC or even a cheap dual core with a less-wattage PSU (to reduce power consumption) for NAS, standalone downloading purposes etc.

hello everyone , i am new here ..

i have successfully installed the CFW using above method. but i am unable to mount the usb drive :( .. it is said that edit this line
EXT3="YES";EXT3P="part1";EXT32="YES";EXT3P2="part2";mkdir /tmp/etc/config

but i tried a lot & still can;t get it to work :S . i am using a SD 8 gb m. card for this purpose. it was detected & worked in original FW.

i have formatted the first partation with EXT3 partation (of 300MB) in ubuntu a second partation formatted with FAT which is ~7GB.

can any one help me enlight how do i modify the first line to get my drive mounted ???

PLS HELP

I am interested in buying this router, but I have one query. I use BSNL night unlimited plan, so I need to start my torrents @0200 & stop @0800. Can this process be automated in dd-wrt? If not what will be most convinient method to do this? Is anybody using this plan with n13u & dd-wrt?

Can this be done in seagate dockstar?

Guy need ur help, as I am tired of getting up in the night, starting pc & utorrent and going back to sleep.

Sent from my GT-I5801 using Tapatalk

Kevin Lane said:
I am interested in buying this router, but I have one query. I use BSNL night unlimited plan, so I need to start my torrents @0200 & stop @0800. Can this process be automated in dd-wrt? If not what will be most convinient method to do this? Is anybody using this plan with n13u & dd-wrt?

Guy need ur help, as I am tired of getting up in the night, starting pc & utorrent and going back to sleep.

Any one? ......

Kevin Lane said:

I'm seeing these options in Transmission remote gui. So yes, it seems you can automate this task.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mechexpert said:
hello everyone , i am new here ..

i have successfully installed the CFW using above method. but i am unable to mount the usb drive :( .. it is said that edit this line

but i tried a lot & still can;t get it to work :S . i am using a SD 8 gb m. card for this purpose. it was detected & worked in original FW.

i have formatted the first partation with EXT3 partation (of 300MB) in ubuntu a second partation formatted with FAT which is ~7GB.

can any one help me enlight how do i modify the first line to get my drive mounted ???

PLS HELP
Please give me the output of following commands

Code:
dmesg

lsmod

ls -ld 

cd /dev/discs/disc0;ls -lrt

@kevin & @arun

there is a better way by using crontab if you need i can give you a cron entry for re-starting transmission and router

dinjo said:
Please give me the output of following commands

Code:
dmesg
lsmod
ls -ld 
i now tried with USB hdd .... running the command did nothing ... but when i ran
Code:
ls -ld 
{skipping dmesg & lsmod}
it showed this ..
Code:
brw-------    1 root     root       8,   2 Jan  1  1970 part2
brw-------    1 root     root       8,   1 Jan  1  1970 part1
brw-------    1 root     root       8,   0 Jan  1  1970 disc

hey guys ,,, after a long stressfull experimenting ... i finally got it mounted. here is what i did

i saw that the startup script was for 1 ext3 & 1 ntfs, so i formatted my 8GB SD card respectively (500mb ext3 & rest ntfs)

now i am having another problem ..... when i start putty , connect to 192.168.2.1(my router id) it ask for a user name .... i input the one i have set for the router & press enter. then it ask for the password. but here is the problem when i enter the password , there is nothing displayed, it blank even if i input the right password. if i press enter it says incorrect login.
i tried putty in ubuntu & windows but same problem. i tried resetting dd-wrt router to factory reset , still same problem .... can anyone tell me if i am missing something or ....may be this router won;t let me work the way through :( ..

sorry for such problematic situations .. but i can;t control them :hap5: :p

Its Linux it never shows anything typed for password , username is root and password would be your router password.

dinjo said:
Its Linux it never shows anything typed for password , username is root and password would be your router password.
well i solved it .... updated the firmware again by web update. & finally i installed optware & transmission.

but how can i set the partations to automount by them self ? in putty by command

service automount status

i only see one partation mounted the EXT3. the other ntfs partation is not getting mounted.

transmission downloads file but stops after a while by error "NO DEVICE FOUND. ENSURE THAT YOUR DEVICE IS CONNECT ..... etc etc "
whats wrong here ?? :huh:

Did you installed NTFS driver ? I DO NOT RECOMMEND NTFS for transmission downloads , the downloads would be slower compared to EXT3

Code:
ipkg install ntfs-3g

BTW did you installed optware the right way ?

EDIT- Show me your startup script

EXT3="YES"; EXT3P="part1"; NTFS="YES"; NTFSP="part2"; FAT="NO"; FATP="part3"; mkdir /tmp/etc/config

echo "wget http://home.karneval.cz/10102207/fs.gz -P /tmp/root" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup

echo "tar -xvzf /tmp/root/fs.gz -C /tmp/root" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup

if [ "$EXT3" == "YES" ]; then echo "sh /tmp/root/ext3" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup; fi

if [ "$NTFS" == "YES" ]; then echo "insmod /tmp/root/fuse.ko" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup; fi

if [ "$FAT" == "YES" ]; then echo "sh /tmp/root/fat" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup; fi

echo "mount /dev/discs/disc0/$EXT3P -o noatime,nodiratime /opt" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup

echo "/opt/bin/ntfs-3g /dev/discs/disc0/$NTFSP /mnt" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup

echo "mount /dev/discs/disc0/$FATP /jffs" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup

echo "rm /tmp/root/*.ko /tmp/root/fs.gz /tmp/root/ext3 /tmp/root/fat" >> /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup

chmod +x /tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup

echo "nobody:*:65000:65000:nobody:/mnt:/bin/false" >> /etc/passwd

this is my startup script ..

{320 Gb hdd with first partation NTFS 245Gb & second EXT3 partation of 502 mb

BTW did you installed optware the right way ?

Yes from here

i installed it this way because i was having this automount trouble so i thought may be this would help.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND NTFS for transmission downloads

yes i am aware of the fact but i can't work the other way. though i use linux but still 70% of the time i need windows hence need ntfs for that reason.

Your startup script and partition are totally incorrect i'm surprised how you even mounted the drive.Need output of lsmod to give you the correct startup script.

Optware Right way isn't necessary it installs some un-necessary apps.

BTW you can also use FTP/Samba to connect via Windows.

dinjo said:
Your startup script and partition are totally incorrect i'm surprised how you even mounted the drive.Need output of lsmod to give you the correct startup script.
he he i guess hours of playing around did something silly which might have mounted it he he :p... any how ...

LSMOD (& mount) output ..

root@ASUS SuperSpeed-N:~# lsmod
Module Size Used by
nf_nat_pptp 4096 0
nf_conntrack_pptp 4096 1 nf_nat_pptp
nf_nat_proto_gre 4096 1 nf_nat_pptp
nf_conntrack_proto_gre 4096 1 nf_conntrack_pptp
rt2860v2_ap 479232 1
fuse 36864 0
ext3 106496 1
mbcache 8192 1 ext3
jbd 57344 1 ext3
etherip 8192 0
usblp 8192 0
scsi_wait_scan 480 0
root@ASUS SuperSpeed-N:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
devpts on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/discs/disc0/part2 on /opt type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
root@ASUS SuperSpeed-N:~#
Optware Right way isn't necessary it installs some un-necessary apps.
oh ... ya i think so , as it took around 10mins to install while the simple one installed pretty fast. but any how ... will it do the job ? i mean for what we need it for ? or should i install the other one only ? ;)

BTW you can also use FTP/Samba to connect via Windows.
so by that EXT3 would work in windows ?? wow .. great didnt knew that :p

THANKS FOR THE INFO & FOR HELPING ME :) ... m a total noob u see :p

EDIT:-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back