Shripad said:
Just came back from Avatar IMAX 3D. And it was fantastic.

The goggles provided at IMAX Wadala were top notch and not those cheapo flimsy thing we got when we went to watch Ice age 3d at fame.

It was fantastic experience.
And as I suspected, the movie is playing in dome, but they are not using dome screen but newly installed curved screen. But its in the Dome theatre only.

And this movie is made for IMAX, so the print is proper IMAX print which is bigger than usual wide-screens we are used to.

Total paisa vasool at IMAX Wadala. Spend the little money extra, and watch it in IMAX 3D.

Phew... thanks it was not on the dome screen...it really sucks... then i will go if it is on a new curve screen, i guess there are no number for seats there, the first come choose the best seat? it was so when i watched spiderman 3, do they have arrangement for a wheelchair?

PS: where are you from? last time i saw your post, you were in chennai?

:)

Params7 said:
Man its no Lotr:Rotk,

I love James Cameron and I liked what he achieved with Avatar! But to even compare Avatar and LOTR:ROTK in a the same sentence is a crime!
LOTR:ROTK is a milestone in cinema! >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avatar!

Has anyone seen the movie in 3D in Adlabs Pune? Please comment on the experience! Going to watch it the second time and can't decide between 2D and 3D..

panther said:
Phew... thanks it was not on the dome screen...it really sucks... then i will go if it is on a new curve screen, i guess there are no number for seats there, the first come choose the best seat? it was so when i watched spiderman 3, do they have arrangement for a wheelchair?

PS: where are you from? last time i saw your post, you were in chennai?

:)

Me chennai?
Nah, I was out of town for few days, thats it.

About the Imax Wadala.

its not first come first like it used to be back in the days when the dome theatre mostly used to be empty.

You get to choose your seats and I suggest you book it online for IMAX 3D and get seats in D row near the passage if someone from wheelchair is coming with you. As you must remember, the steps are very steep and if a person is on wheel chair, going down or climbing 3-4 tows might be an issue.

Row D is on the level of entrance. You have to climb for A/B and C row, and climb down for rest. Or you can choose bottom most row and request the people to open the exit gates for entry which they will do ( couple of handicap people attended the show to which I went. ).

Lifts and escalators were working so going up wont be an issue.

So i went and watched the movie yesterday night. As pointed out earlier the script very linear and there are some real cheesy dialogues in the movie with some insanely awesome graphics. To cut it short the movie is nothing but a "Pedh Bachaoo Aandolan" on some remote planet. I guess i will plant a tree today.

swordfish123 said:
Completely agree with you. 3D is plain crap. The movie will be very dim. No vivid colors. Apart from the 20 century fox logo and few other scenes everything looked like 2D. Watch it in IMAX or else save your money and watch in 2D.

OMG!! this is exactly what I've been saying since I saw it. The colors looked completely washed out with the 3D glasses. Worse, the only 3D effect I saw in the whole movie was the 20th century fox logo. Man, I've been trying to figure out what was wrong with my eyes. Everyone else is claiming it was so beautiful and I couldnt see it. whew good to know it wasnt just me or the crappy theatre I went to.
so without imax, 3D is not worth it.

^All those who couldn't see the 3D effects with the goggles , it's the screen / theater to be blamed. Either the print itself was not the one for 3D or they must have forgot to turn on one of the projectors , If you notice there are 2 projectors used for the 3D film.

Even we faced the same problem during the initial first half of the movie , no 3D effects at all ,we went and complained to the manager since one of my friend had seen it earlier and told us that this is not how it is supposed to look.Manager confessed that he had forgotten to turn on the 2nd projector and gave us a full refund at the end of the movie :D

Shripad said:
J
And as I suspected, the movie is playing in dome, but they are not using dome screen but newly installed curved screen. But its in the Dome theatre only.

And this movie is made for IMAX, so the print is proper IMAX print which is bigger than usual wide-screens we are used to.

Damn, this screen almost ruined my experience . I went in expecting to feast my eyes on the huge dome screen, and was so let down by the regular flat screen (ok it might have been slightly curved if you say so). I also didn't think we would need googles in imax. So, for the 1st half hour, I was wondering if I should have rather caught a morning show for 70 bucks instead of the 350 I paid here :p

To add to that, I'd gone for the afternoon show, after watching 3 Idiots in the morning (it is an absolutely super duper movie). I kept telling myself all izz well, my 350 bucks are not wasted :rofl:

Overall, I would give 6/10 to avatar. If I leave aside the 3D effects, the graphics while really good, seemed just evolutionary, not revolutionary. The only part where I was really impressed was in the end where real and CG elements are shown together. The integration was truly seamless, much better than what we saw in lotr or harry potter. ( ok, district 9 comes very very close). Otherwise, I wasn't blown away by the CG. It was just trees :p, and their trees look a lot like our trees. So I didn't feel like it involved a lot of imagination on cameron's part. IMO, a film like speedracer was way more imaginative in terms of concept design.

film like speedracer was way more imaginative in terms of concept design.

Speedracer was more like bob the builder and a japanese racing game(streets of Tanaka) or something like it.

Avatar concepts were amazing, the forest, floating mountains etc.

Btw, please change the siggy, isn't really helpful when you havn't had breakfast :p

Avatar is the best CG movie ever made. Its not a great movie by itself, but the CG is FANTASTIC!!! They did create a whole new world. Zhops, I hope you took your glasses :p

This movie is supposed to be one of the best movie of all time .Story is ok but the way they presented it is just awesome blended with brilliant graphics.Eventhough i watched in 2d,it was a great experience i had .:cool2:

vij said:
Avatar is the best CG movie ever made. Its not a great movie by itrself, but the CG is FANTASTIC!!! They did create a whole new world. Zhops, I hope you took your glasses :p

Yes, the CG was the best we've seen till now, but I didn't feel it was revolutionary. It was a whole new world, but comeon, it was just trees, trees and more trees. The animals were cool, but we have seen lots of alien creatures in a number of movies (e.g. star wars). As for the floating mountains, pick up any fantasy novel and you'll get a bunch a similar concepts. Nothing really innovative about that either. :no:

The only thing different was that this was the 1st full 3D film I saw. Looking forward to Alice in Wonderland now :)

Saw the movie in Inox on saturday. To be honest, i wasn't blown away. The movie is alright with some great CG. Should have gone for the morning show instead of the afternoon (costlier - Rs.350) show.

I personally stopped being impressed by CG in Hollywood movies years ago. They do what they gotta do and they are very very good at it.

What really got me in Avatar is its ability to completely immerse the viewer in Pandora.
Such movies tend to instill a strong feeling inside of me that can only be described as intense longing.
Now either I have an overly active imagination or it's completely normal, but I hate that :(.

Back