BSNL 3G Thread

Why dont people make a minimum effort of atleast visiting the BSNL website for information that they want. If its not available then they can post in forums.
Infact recently BSNL website has turned out to be the most informative place for all BSNL products and schemes. Even the babus are not aware of what BSNL offers but the site has all the details.

agree with you on the same, when i went to get my sim, i had to tell the lady that the modems prices have been reduced as she was still selling at old prices. When i insisted then she checked with her supervisor who told her that yes the special offer on modems were still on and they were being sold at a reduced price.

I got my UMG 1831 recently.The modem is connecting perfectly fine and i have maximun signal at my place.but after connection about 30mins later the modem is restarting making the connection disconnect and the modem is detected again after few seconds. iam also able to listen to the alert sound of windows when my modem connects and disconnects.This happens After the connection is connected more than 30mins or some times less.even when i try to download something the problem happens more quickly within 5mins the download started ... tried with different networks but same problem..........Please help me

Model : Huawei UMG 1831

Firmware : 11.831.05.01.420

Driver version : 2.0.3.822

Software : T-mobile connect and Mobile partner 16

Seller : dvdstoredelhi

virus32win said:
:: BSNL 3G ::

Sale price of BSNL USB type HSDPA data cards. Seek reviews before buy.

1. Linktop / LW272 3.6 MBPS Single Band 2000/-

2. Linktop / LW273 7.2 MBPS Tri Band 2500/-
Thanks for info and u got rep too.....:)

Linktop is not popular brand so review is very hard to find.

yeah but beware of the recent lot of UMG 1831... Lots of ppl r having issues with them. I too had to send back one due to over heating and device resetting problem.

ravi why not go for k 4505 its a good modem, i just got one and its working fine, without any issues. i think there is one listed on ebay from Abbey

onlyravi said:
yeah but beware of the recent lot of UMG 1831... Lots of ppl r having issues with them. I too had to send back one due to over heating and device resetting problem.
I'm afraid recent lot have not finished(if the dealer not sent back the defect modems) yet so there may be some defect items too.

And,Huawei K4505 is near 4K ?

Almost 1K more than 1831 but same 21Mbps.

So,1K will worth ?.....

I am in Pune and am planning to recharge with 4200 for six months of 3G. Which is the best way for me to do it (except going to the BSNL office)

^^ Hmmm so finally u r back :p....hope u had a good HM :D

Do the recharge from the normal roadside shop. Just tell them to do an easy recharge of Rs 4200 (like the Rs 274 2G one)...but the problem might be the fact that not all roadside shops will have so much balance....so may be if u tell them today....they will have their account topped up next day to do the recharge for u .

raksrules said:
I am in Pune and am planning to recharge with 4200 for six months of 3G. Which is the best way for me to do it (except going to the BSNL office)
I did online recharge of Rs 4200 through BSNL portal.

You can also do the same.

I would recommend to get it done from either BSNL CSC or local recharge shops. The portal recharges of Rs 2500/Rs 4200 have failed for me and I was stuck with refund for a week almost !

Ok so i visited the BSNL portal and went to "Select 3G Data Recharge" and entered my number. The recharge amounts i got in there were 275, 440, 606, 716, 1102 :S

No idea what this all is.

Am i checking incorrect link ? Please give me correct link.

Ok so now please suggest which modem should i buy, from where and how much will it cost.

Read few things on TE about the UMG181 killing SIM cards. Is it true ?

Is that sub 1.5k modem started to be available (the one that futurebazaar was gonna sell) ??

@raksrules : I would not recc online for 4200 recharge. Best is to do it with a "normal roadside shop" like @Supra said. I too did the same and he did not have enough balance. So he asked his dealer to increase his balance and within 10 min he recharged my cell. He even gave me a Rs31 SMS recharge free coz this was the highest recharge done in his shop :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I too returned a UMG 1831 due to some serious issues. Go for E122 if you are not paranoid abt 21mbps or voice calls.
I am using it for almost 2 months now and not a single problem. Its a 7.2mbps but with the currently level of congestion on BSNL towers here in Pune its good if we even get 2mbps downloads. (I do get 2mbps for torrents and IDM and I am happy with that).

P.S: The BSNL officers I was following up for the speed issues told me the recent speed drops were only due to network congestion and there is NO restriction of any kind from their side.
Disclaimer :bleh: : I do not mean to say all 1831 are bad. but recently many cases have popped up and its not very safe to buy them

onlyravi said:
@raksrules : I would not recc online for 4200 recharge. Best is to do it with a "normal roadside shop" like @Supra said. I too did the same and he did not have enough balance. So he asked his dealer to increase his balance and within 10 min he recharged my cell. He even gave me a Rs31 SMS recharge free coz this was the highest recharge done in his shop :)
Ok so i can get this done from a roadside shop. But one more query. Do we get any message after the recharge so as to confirm that the recharge is done successfully (except logging on the net and checking if balance is getting deducted)

Yes. U get a SMS from 1008 mentioning that a Recharge of 4200 was done on ur cell on the date and time and also the cell no of the shopkeeper from which the recharge was done. There is a ref no also for the transaction. :) Hope that helps. And the best thing is dont pay him unless you get the message... or incase of conflict which wud rarely happen he is the one incharge of resolving it ... you dont have to follow up...

@supra: can you please post the apn settings for umg1831 for bangalore like access no., user name, password etc.

Also during one week trial I was using it in my SGS, now trial is over and I've got umg1831, so before doing 4200 recharge, I want to try a small recharge like say 100 mb, place suggest this also

Back