BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends - Finally I got CDMA EVDO Pre-paid SIM card. I got it for Rs. 40.

Any way how can I know when it will be activated? Also, lady there asked me for plan (I was shocked that why she is asking plan for pre-paid) and I asked her to suggest. She noted down 1GB for Rs. 250.
Please let me know if there is any portal wherein I can know details about the plan? I plan to use this SIM in my friend's BSNL pruthvi device.
I think you got is CDMA prepaid , EVDO prepaid SIM is 350+ taxes .
http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/evdo_prepaid.html

On top my form she wrote EVDO SIM. As per BSNL SIM cost is Rs. 40 and then I need to recharge.

By the way, I did a special recharge of Rs. 20 on PAYTM and it was successful. Further, I inserted SIM in my friend's prithvi dongle and it shows EVDO signal but when I am trying to connect it is not able to connect.

I'm also not able to check balance using *123#. BSNL dashboard is very bad. Any other way to check balance?[DOUBLEPOST=1387650128][/DOUBLEPOST]Updates: I'm able to connect to EVDO:
1) Got Rs. 40 EVDO/CDMA SIM from BSNL.
2) Did recharge of Rs. 20 followed by recharge of Rs. 250 (1 GB)

Asked TP-Link support for modem bin file as Prithvi UE100 is not getting detected by TP-Link MR3220 v1.

Last edited:
It is v1 but when I connect Prithvi it says unplugged.
Also, I don't want to update firmware because I got this customized firmware from TP-Link support which is able to detect my following 4 modems:
1. Huawei E303C
2. MTS - ZTE AC2746
3. Tata Photon
4. Reliance

If somebody can share BIN file for Prithvi it would be great.

@jituthejeet
ZTE AC2766 available on ebay.in , seller was selling for 700 including shipping then increased price to 850 including shipping . Have sold 15 cards and is compatible with Tplink MR3020 . Have checked personally . Too lazy to post the ebay link do a search .:happy:

P12 is V1.
MR3220/MR3420 supports the Prithvi UE100 v1 right?
I will most likely be getting either of these next month. According to people on Flipkart, the UE100 is supported by MR3220 after a firmware update. So am quite surprised to hear that the MR3220 is not detecting the UE100!!!

Yes, it will be detected. TP-Link support also sent me firmware which detects Prithvi. I haven't updated firmware yet.

I used Prithvi but planning to get unlocked data card as suggested above. I feel signal reception of Huawei/ZTE brand will be good.

hi guys, i have a strange problem with my evdo, everytime my speed goes down [~15-40KBps], i have to move my data card around my pc and try to find a spot and position where i get maximum speed [110-180KBps]. And fix it in that position using plastic clips.
After a few hrs [or days] when it drops its speed again [even when it was left in the same spot] and i have to move it again to find another spot [and position] where i get max speed. it seems like this 'spot' changes its position every few hrs/days.
I use a 3 ft usb extension cord that allows me to move my data card within 3 ft radius of my pc.
is this due to my data card? or something else? i have this problem since day one.
have a Prithvi UE100 data card,

Thinking of trying out BSNL EVDO but going through this thread is a bit overwhelming. Can anyone link me to a blog/post/guide that details the ideal way to go about this? Should I buy separate data card or will the BSNL card suffice?

hi guys, i have a strange problem with my evdo, everytime my speed goes down [~15-40KBps], i have to move my data card around my pc and try to find a spot and position where i get maximum speed [110-180KBps]. And fix it in that position using plastic clips.
After a few hrs [or days] when it drops its speed again [even when it was left in the same spot] and i have to move it again to find another spot [and position] where i get max speed. it seems like this 'spot' changes its position every few hrs/days.
I use a 3 ft usb extension cord that allows me to move my data card within 3 ft radius of my pc.
is this due to my data card? or something else? i have this problem since day one.
have a Prithvi UE100 data card,
Fluctuating signal , might be because of too many users . Doesn't happen to me . I have a spot where in daytime speed drops and night again climbs up . I generally get 200KBps in night and 100 KBps in day .

Thinking of trying out BSNL EVDO but going through this thread is a bit overwhelming. Can anyone link me to a blog/post/guide that details the ideal way to go about this? Should I buy separate data card or will the BSNL card suffice?
If you buy datacard from BSNL get it for 1200 bucks with new connection but try to get Prithvi model V2 as its recognized my TPlink MR3020 and such devices including Ddwrt . Otherwise get ZTE AC2766 from ebay . Used ones are going from 800 bucks onwards and you can use any CDMA sim , New EVDO prepaid SIM costs 400 bucks and CDMA SIM costs 40 bucks . BSNL says if you want to use EVDO then buy EVDO SIM but another user here bought CDMA SIM and activated EVDO plan on it and it works .
Check BSNL site for plans but unlimited for 30 days is for 750+ taxes . Biggest issue with EVDO is good signal and number of users . If less number of users you get excellent speeds upto 2Mbps .
it comes in prepaid and postpaid both

What you mean by saying evdo sim for 400 and cdma sim for 40??? Is bsnl providing two different Sims according to purposes? Or one should need to make few specific recharges for activating evdo service on same sim excluding plan fee?
If one purchases a sim for ₹40 what other recharges he should make in sequence to get started with evdo service?

If you buy datacard from BSNL get it for 1200 bucks with new connection but try to get Prithvi model V2 as its recognized my TPlink MR3020 and such devices including Ddwrt . Otherwise get ZTE AC2766 from ebay . Used ones are going from 800 bucks onwards and you can use any CDMA sim , New EVDO prepaid SIM costs 400 bucks and CDMA SIM costs 40 bucks . BSNL says if you want to use EVDO then buy EVDO SIM but another user here bought CDMA SIM and activated EVDO plan on it and it works .
Check BSNL site for plans but unlimited for 30 days is for 750+ taxes . Biggest issue with EVDO is good signal and number of users . If less number of users you get excellent speeds upto 2Mbps .
it comes in prepaid and postpaid both

Thanks. I am looking to use it with my laptop along so any model data card should be sufficient, right?

On top my form she wrote EVDO SIM. As per BSNL SIM cost is Rs. 40 and then I need to recharge.

By the way, I did a special recharge of Rs. 20 on PAYTM and it was successful. Further, I inserted SIM in my friend's prithvi dongle and it shows EVDO signal but when I am trying to connect it is not able to connect.

I'm also not able to check balance using *123#. BSNL dashboard is very bad. Any other way to check balance?[DOUBLEPOST=1387650128][/DOUBLEPOST]Updates: I'm able to connect to EVDO:
1) Got Rs. 40 EVDO/CDMA SIM from BSNL.
2) Did recharge of Rs. 20 followed by recharge of Rs. 250 (1 GB)

Asked TP-Link support for modem bin file as Prithvi UE100 is not getting detected by TP-Link MR3220 v1.
Whats the username password for connecting to EVDO using CDMA SIM . Is it your mobile number as username and password or generic 165 as username and password . I forgot to ask the BSNL guys when taking a new CDMA SIM

What you mean by saying evdo sim for 400 and cdma sim for 40??? Is bsnl providing two different Sims according to purposes? Or one should need to make few specific recharges for activating evdo service on same sim excluding plan fee?
If one purchases a sim for ₹40 what other recharges he should make in sequence to get started with evdo service?
Yes BSNL gives 2 types of CDMA SIM . One is CDMA SIM for 40 bucks and second is called EVDO SIM . EVDO SIM consists of EVDO SUK which costs 350 bucks . 350 +40 + service tax =440/450 .
I got both SIMS .
On CDMA 40 bucks SIM I recharged and put balance but couldnt connect any call . I tried to connect to EVDO but couldnt connect with mobile number or 165 as username and password
Then I took a EVDO SIM for 450 bucks , recharged and was able to connect on EVDO and make voice calls .

It might be my mistake that I didnt charge CDMA SIM with any EVDO plan and check it . but without plan also with balance it should have connected .
@jituthejeet has done it , take a CDMA 40 bucks SIM and use EVDO on it .Basically EVDO SUK of 350 bucks are BSNL trying to make money on name of EVDO , it seems
This is CDMA 40 bucks SIM http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/cdma_prepaid_tariff.html
and
this one is EVDO 350+ SIM http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/evdo_prepaid.html
[DOUBLEPOST=1388319998][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks. I am looking to use it with my laptop along so any model data card should be sufficient, right?
Yes

Last edited:
Yes, I got SIM for Rs. 40 and asked BSNL madamji to put 250 plan on it. Came home and recharged with Rs. 20 for validity followed by Rs. 250 and I was able to connect to EVDO.

Username and password is "cdma" (without quotes) and dial number is #777.

So which one is better Prithvi or getting one unlocked from ebay - AC2766? At present I'm using my friends Prithvi and I don't think its reception is good. Also, BSNL connection manager dashboard is pathetic.

Yes, I got SIM for Rs. 40 and asked BSNL madamji to put 250 plan on it. Came home and recharged with Rs. 20 for validity followed by Rs. 250 and I was able to connect to EVDO.

Username and password is "cdma" (without quotes) and dial number is #777.

So which one is better Prithvi or getting one unlocked from ebay - AC2766? At present I'm using my friends Prithvi and I don't think its reception is good. Also, BSNL connection manager dashboard is pathetic.
Which site did you use for recharge ?, not able to recharge using paytm with BSNL special recharge on both CDMA and EVDO SIMs
I think ZTE is better as fully recognized by ddwrt and tplink plus unlocked for all CDMA SIMS . Speeds I have still not compared as not able to put any data plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back