BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I
Which site did you use for recharge ?, not able to recharge using paytm with BSNL special recharge on both CDMA and EVDO SIMs
I think ZTE is better as fully recognized by ddwrt and tplink plus unlocked for all CDMA SIMS . Speeds I have still not compared as not able to put any data plan
I used Paytm to recharge. I did a simple top-up and plan was activated.
Check your plan/balance from this site - http://117.254.199.10/balance.php

Yes BSNL gives 2 types of CDMA SIM . One is CDMA SIM for 40 bucks and second is called EVDO SIM . EVDO SIM consists of EVDO SUK which costs 350 bucks . 350 +40 + service tax =440/450 .
I got both SIMS .
On CDMA 40 bucks SIM I recharged and put balance but couldnt connect any call . I tried to connect to EVDO but couldnt connect with mobile number or 165 as username and password
Then I took a EVDO SIM for 450 bucks , recharged and was able to connect on EVDO and make voice calls .

It might be my mistake that I didnt charge CDMA SIM with any EVDO plan and check it . but without plan also with balance it should have connected .
@jituthejeet has done it , take a CDMA 40 bucks SIM and use EVDO on it .Basically EVDO SUK of 350 bucks are BSNL trying to make money on name of EVDO , it seems
This is CDMA 40 bucks SIM http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/cdma_prepaid_tariff.html
and
this one is EVDO 350+ SIM http://www.bsnl.co.in/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/mobile/evdo_prepaid.html
[DOUBLEPOST=1388319998][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes
Kuduku, you are an angel, it's the best information I ever get.
But it will be again a great help if you please clarify it as per my doubts, well I purchased a modem from eBay i.e, micromax 300c and I was already using a bsnl cdma sim in my phone for calling purpose , which i am still using, so for using evdo will i have to purchase a new cdma sim or i can use that one for evdo too? But let me tell you that I already tried my luck with that sim and tried recharge of rs55(one day unlimited plan) for testing purposes but it failed all the time I tried several retailers as I'm not comfortable with online recharge. At the same time I was able to connect under 1x cdma mode with my main balance and speed was real slow as it should be even I was under excellent even area.
In bsnl office people don't communicate properly, I told them I have a bsnl evdo capable modem all I want a sim to use evdo in that, he told me for ₹60, 40 for sim and 20 for six months validity, I asked them for any special procedure if required they just told me a user name and password which was last 10 digits printed on my sim card along with aaand.in(something like that), and finally said if it doesn't connects with evdo, you will have to buy our data card only.
Now purchasing a new sim is not a big deal for me although my that number is been heavily distributed. So if I buy a new sim what amount I should recharge (suk or else) vai a retailer (outside/shopkeeper) and what should I call that recharge to him to get activated...

Which site did you use for recharge ?, not able to recharge using paytm with BSNL special recharge on both CDMA and EVDO SIMs
I think ZTE is better as fully recognized by ddwrt and tplink plus unlocked for all CDMA SIMS . Speeds I have still not compared as not able to put any data plan
By unlocked for all CDMA SIM's, do you mean that I can put in my present EVDO SIM(I am currently using Prithvi v1 modem with BSNL EVDO) and it will start working? Or will I need to register the new ZTE modem's ID(SSN or something, I forgot) at the BSNL office before I can get my SIM to work with the new modem?

I am thinking about switching modems as for the last few days, the service has been pathetic in my area. Almost all sites open very slowly(TE forum page opens after almost 1 min of waiting).
But when I download via uTorrent, speed seems to be normal(100-200 kB/s). Only problem is that after 10-15mins of download, everything slows to a stop(4-5kB/s). Then after 3-4 mins, it goes up to normal level. Stays like that for the next 10-15 mins and the cycle repeats.

By unlocked for all CDMA SIM's, do you mean that I can put in my present EVDO SIM(I am currently using Prithvi v1 modem with BSNL EVDO) and it will start working? Or will I need to register the new ZTE modem's ID(SSN or something, I forgot) at the BSNL office before I can get my SIM to work with the new modem?

I am thinking about switching modems as for the last few days, the service has been pathetic in my area. Almost all sites open very slowly(TE forum page opens after almost 1 min of waiting).
But when I download via uTorrent, speed seems to be normal(100-200 kB/s). Only problem is that after 10-15mins of download, everything slows to a stop(4-5kB/s). Then after 3-4 mins, it goes up to normal level. Stays like that for the next 10-15 mins and the cycle repeats.
YES it can take any RUIM , BSNL , MTS , Reliance , TATA or any CDMA SIM

Kuduku, you are an angel, it's the best information I ever get.
But it will be again a great help if you please clarify it as per my doubts, well I purchased a modem from eBay i.e, micromax 300c and I was already using a bsnl cdma sim in my phone for calling purpose , which i am still using, so for using evdo will i have to purchase a new cdma sim or i can use that one for evdo too? But let me tell you that I already tried my luck with that sim and tried recharge of rs55(one day unlimited plan) for testing purposes but it failed all the time I tried several retailers as I'm not comfortable with online recharge. At the same time I was able to connect under 1x cdma mode with my main balance and speed was real slow as it should be even I was under excellent even area.
In bsnl office people don't communicate properly, I told them I have a bsnl evdo capable modem all I want a sim to use evdo in that, he told me for ₹60, 40 for sim and 20 for six months validity, I asked them for any special procedure if required they just told me a user name and password which was last 10 digits printed on my sim card along with aaand.in(something like that), and finally said if it doesn't connects with evdo, you will have to buy our data card only.
Now purchasing a new sim is not a big deal for me although my that number is been heavily distributed. So if I buy a new sim what amount I should recharge (suk or else) vai a retailer (outside/shopkeeper) and what should I call that recharge to him to get activated...
1x is slow only , u get 15 KBbps max download speed in 1X . Atleast its confirmed that EVDO can be activated on 40 bucks SIM . BSNL rep told you correct about 60 bucks . Tell BSNL guys to activate the plan on your present number . I am also facing lots of issues activating by paytm . username password behind SIM is new and i will test it .
You should got to BSNL and ask them to do a special/Data recharge on your present CDMA SIM . EVDO should work as even a new RUIM of 40 +20 is same what you are using presently for voice call .
Its 99% confirmed that EVDO SUK is all balls and just a mean to make extra money on name of EVDO when same can be achieved for 40 bucks also . It will be 100% confirmed when either you or me are able to activate data plan on CDMA SIM . Will try that in night as tried recharging using paytm and all are failing
Try recharging data plan by BSNL only , outside shopkeepers cannot do it . They will just recharge topup . You can also try STV 55 sending to 53733 and see if data plan is activated . You should have balance more than 60 bucks in SIM

Last edited:
So I should expect to get BSNL EVDO speed on this unlocked modem. Correct? It should not happen that it works on only 1X mode. Haven't checked listing yet on ebay but is AC2766 Rev 0 or Rev A?

How to know if my SIM is RUIM or not?
I bought the EVDO connection in November 2012. Using a Prithvi v1 modem now.

Was going through the thread and found that for the Sierra 595U, one had to register the ESN of the modem with BSNL. Did it not have a RUIM slot?
Is there any good Sierra modem which has a RUIM slot and is compatible with BSNL EVDO?

P.S: Will the ZTE 2766 be much better than the Prithvi UE100? or only marginally better? Since the modem price has increased, thinking whether I should go for it or not!!!

Last edited:
How to know if my SIM is RUIM or not?
I bought the EVDO connection in November 2012. Using a Prithvi v1 modem now.

Was going through the thread and found that for the Sierra 595U, one had to register the ESN of the modem with BSNL. Did it not have a RUIM slot?
Is there any good Sierra modem which has a RUIM slot and is compatible with BSNL EVDO?

P.S: Will the ZTE 2766 be much better than the Prithvi UE100? or only marginally better? Since the modem price has increased, thinking whether I should go for it or not!!!
Any CDMA SIM is RUIM . CDMA connection can be either RUIM or ESN . Sierra 595U/598 were ESN based and ZTE or prithvi are RUIM based . I dont know Whether ZTE is better or Prithvi as I dont have both to compare
Price increase has been only after it started working with BSNL EVDO . Other sellers still write works with all CDMA SIMS except BSNL EVDO so it was selling like hotcakes

Any CDMA SIM is RUIM . CDMA connection can be either RUIM or ESN . Sierra 595U/598 were ESN based and ZTE or prithvi are RUIM based . I dont know Whether ZTE is better or Prithvi as I dont have both to compare
Price increase has been only after it started working with BSNL EVDO . Other sellers still write works with all CDMA SIMS except BSNL EVDO so it was selling like hotcakes
Do you know anyone who could get the ZTE 2766 to work with BSNL EVDO?
It seems like this happened very recently and so am a bit skeptical about the truthfulness of the seller.

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f803/mts-zte-ac2746-modem-how-use-bsnl-1642868/
In this thread, one says that ZTE 2766 when used with BSNL EVDO sim works in EVDO 1x mode only. Another claims that it works at full speed. Highly confusing.

Last edited:
Do you know anyone who could get the ZTE 2766 to work with BSNL EVDO?
It seems like this happened very recently and so am a bit skeptical about the truthfulness of the seller.

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f803/mts-zte-ac2746-modem-how-use-bsnl-1642868/
In this thread, one says that ZTE 2766 when used with BSNL EVDO sim works in EVDO 1x mode only. Another claims that it works at full speed. Highly confusing.
I have already confirmed that i bought it , given link and it works in EVDO . ..... The seller increased the price only due to popularity of its working in BSNL EVDO

I have already confirmed that i bought it , given link and it works in EVDO . ..... The seller increased the price only due to popularity of its working in BSNL EVDO

My ZTE AC2746 never connects to evdo. Do I need to program it? Which dialer do you use, is it chinanet?

BSNL EVDO software which comes with BSNL datacards ZTEMT UI is the app name and it even connects with MTS software . Its MTS branded dongle
@mathewvp

@kuduku How much did it take for the seller to ship the item? It has been almost 3 days and there is no info from him regarding the device. And now my present modem is giving up on me!! :grumpy:

Thanks for the link. But the software does not work for me. After starting the app, it says, cannot connect to the device. I can make a normal dial up connection but its in 1x mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back