BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ If you are interested to sell I'm willing to buy. I have a friend with cdma workshop license maybe it should be programmable by that. It would be possible to get from usa but it could take long time

@prtk key is if BSNL hasnt added ESN into their DATABASE. you wont be likely to connect. I manually registered with them of my 595u's esn.

Last edited by a moderator:
@prtk key is if BSNL hasnt added ESN into their DATABASE. you wont be likely to connect. I manually registered with them of my 595u's esn.
Ok will check with BSNL because the earlier modem and SIM were purchased directly from BSNL so really they should have the ESN unless ofcourse SIM Based modems dont need ESN to connect

@prtk : In case of RUIM, the ESN and all other configuration details are stored in the RUIM or SIM, which is why you can simply interchange the RUIM and use it with any modem.

Now if you want to change the modem to Sierra which is not RUIM based, you either need to get the ESN of the Sierra modem registered and do an ESN swap or you need to make the ESN of the Sierra modem the same as RUIM. (The 2nd step is much much easier :p)

@varkey I will check with BSNL if they are ready to add my ESN into their DB or I would consider selling the modem because I would not like to modify the ESN. Thanks

@prtk : Most of us are pretty successful with method 2! :p[DOUBLEPOST=1366594759][/DOUBLEPOST]
^ If you are interested to sell I'm willing to buy. I have a friend with cdma workshop license maybe it should be programmable by that. It would be possible to get from usa but it could take long time

You don't need licensed version of CDMA workshop for this. Its pretty simple to configure using the free version provided you have all the necessary details.

@prtk : Most of us are pretty successful with method 2! :p[DOUBLEPOST=1366594759][/DOUBLEPOST]

You don't need licensed version of CDMA workshop for this. Its pretty simple to configure using the free version provided you have all the necessary details.
Yes I understand but thats not a legal way so would like to pass that on. Other than that I changed all the settings - I will also need to see if I can read the other settings from the Prithvi modem so that I could match the details, but somehow I have not been able to read the data from that modem.

I also have another modem the U301 so will see if I can get that to work. I liked the 598 as it has external antenna connector and as soon as I add that - the signal strength increases close to 10-12db

@prtk : If the ESN is not matching, whatever details you match has no effect. If you are not ready to go ahead with the ESN fix on the Sierra, there is no point in wasting more time to get the data from Prithvi.

And I don't think there is anything illegal if you clone it, as long as you own both the devices and you are not using it to defraud the provider. Its definitely a grey area, but I wouldn't call it illegal.

SIM and ESN cloning are illegal no matter what type of condition you are in. And yes some people have landed behind the bars because of it. Not saying I won't do that once I get mine 595U/598U :p

If BSNL people had registered our ESN then we wouldn't be in such a situation. In my case they didn't even activate a BSNL EVDO device from different circle. It varies from circle to circle and clearly my circle's BSNL people are complete douche bags.

Btw here is my AxesstelPst stat while connected directly to PC i.e. without USB cable.

The RSSi increases to -43 dBm if I use a USB cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    149.8 KB · Views: 238
SIM and ESN cloning are illegal no matter what type of condition you are in. And yes some people have landed behind the bars because of it.

Could you please point me to some law which says so. Cloning the ESN which is not yours and using it to make free calls or defraud the provider is obviously illegal. Or using two devices with the same ESN at the same time as well. (I don't even have the original RUIM with me, just the Sierra)

But in this case, you own both the devices, you can take it as inserting the RUIM into the Sierra permanently. ;)
As I said, if you use it for non-legal purposes, then yes, but otherwise I don't see anything wrong.

I have personally cloned my ZTE ESN into Sierra but later on visited the exchange and changed ESN to Original sierra one. It all depends on exchange people if they are not co-operating with you just clone it and use it. nothing to worry as long as you are not selling the device.

Generally speaking, what's illegal is illegal. You might say that you own both the devices so it is upto you to use them however you want. But a person using such technique for illegal purpose might state the same. There was a time when SIM cloning became a norm in India. People used to take a SIM, activate a monthly unlimited plan on it and then clone the SIM for double the benefit and guess what, they used to give same reasons as yours when caught. No wonder it is a punishable offense.

The main thing is, don't get caught. Even if you aren't doing something illegal, you would be blamed the same way. Its just a matter of timeline. If start bringing in people doing such stuff then they won't listen to anyone, suspect or not.

@cisco_tech: Agreed. As I said don't get caught.

I am curious if esn is cloned. then does the data card and RUIM both can work simultaneously? wouldn't it be like same IMEI phone or something which doesn't work?

I am curious if esn is cloned. then does the data card and RUIM both can work simultaneously? wouldn't it be like same IMEI phone or something which doesn't work?
Only one works , the other stops working or gets disconnected . Both simultaneously same circle cannot be connected . Another test has to be done - both connected in different circles , answer not known

Both can't work simultaneously anywhere in the world. This problem was rectified many years ago.

I have got some issue. I live like 200m from the BTS. Obv I get full signal but I can't connect to EVDO. When I plug in the device (ZTE AC8700) it shows full signal of EVDO. I click connect and just when it is about to connect the EVDO signal disappears and it automatically connects to 1X. I tested it on two machines, one XP and one Windows 8. Same thing happens on both. Now when I go to BSNL office which is 150m, at most, from my home, it connects to EVDO without any issue. What should I do? I tried to google the same issue and came across one similar post but it wasn't much help either. Any ideas?

Generally speaking, what's illegal is illegal. You might say that you own both the devices so it is upto you to use them however you want. But a person using such technique for illegal purpose might state the same. There was a time when SIM cloning became a norm in India. People used to take a SIM, activate a monthly unlimited plan on it and then clone the SIM for double the benefit and guess what, they used to give same reasons as yours when caught. No wonder it is a punishable offense.

The main thing is, don't get caught. Even if you aren't doing something illegal, you would be blamed the same way. Its just a matter of timeline. If start bringing in people doing such stuff then they won't listen to anyone, suspect or not.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Cloning ESN is illegal. Owning some software licence doesn't give you right to clone devices. You need to have permission from ISP which is highly unlikely. I think that these type of discussions should not be done openly because this will lead to wide spread of this matter to other forums and later to BSNL.

@funky_ace, Have you attached any antenna to it? IMO, this happens when your device is unable to have enough power or signal quality. Try using Y cable in both the USB ports & check if your device is not loosely connected.

Sometimes when we're in the overlapping area to 2 adjacent antennas(ISP Tower) beam we may not get a stable connection.

@funky_ace, Have you attached any antenna to it? IMO, this happens when your device is unable to have enough power or signal quality. Try using Y cable in both the USB ports & check if your device is not loosely connected.

Sometimes when we're in the overlapping area to 2 adjacent antennas(ISP Tower) beam we may not get a stable connection.

I am using any antenna. its same inbuilt antenna of AC8700. I don't think power is the issue cause it worked fine for one whole day, on 5th of April. Since then it has been on 1X.

Overlapping is not possible. The closest BTS is like 200m from my home while the second one is 4.5 Km away.

I am losing hope in here. I have increased the signal strength massively but still it connects to 1X. Here is the screenshot of my current signal status.

The worst thing is that even though BSNL office is close to my home, I can't get them to fix it since it is working fine there.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    138.7 KB · Views: 210
Have u tried to reload the prl file ? Load the all india prl file once and test.
Or
Simply tell bsnl cc to reconfigure my device.

Don't think it is a PRL issue cause it connecting flawlessly in their system.

I will ask for reconfiguration tomorrow. It is the only option left. Hope they will be helpful this time.

I took the connection on 30th March and till date I have connected to EVDO once. Rest of the days it was either downtime or 1X.

I completely agree with @funky_ace and @hayabusa_ryu that the modification of ESN which is suggested is totally illegal and you should not do that. As suggested by @cisco_tech that we can register a new ESN with the mobile company and hence when possible I shall take this device to their office and ask them to configure the device for working on their network. Hopefully that should work or as mentioned earlier if that does not work, I shall sell the device but would not like to play around with the ESN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back