Delhi gang-rapists sentenced to death

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually the fact that the death penalty will take time to be executed is, in a way, a good thing. as long as they dont get bail. the wait with the sword hanging over their heads will only add to the punishment.

i think death penalty is actually letting people off easy. the neck is snapped in seconds & the convict will hardly feel any pain. i think the worst punishment is to keep the convict alive but in a solitary cell with no windows or any human contact not even with the jail officials. let them die of natural causes after years like that.

or if they have to be hanged then it should be televised, without any black cloth covering their face & the rope should be loose & it should take a long time for the convict to die. also even children should be made to watch it so that it instils fear in them & they know the consequences of going down the wrong path. this sounds extreme & severe but the problem is know no one fears consequences & only once that is inculcated will there be any difference.

also, this "juvenile" nonsense has to be stopped. or make the parents responsible. if the "juvenile" cant be punished give that punishment to 1 of his parents. again, this may sound extreme but isnt that already done when a kid takes his parent's car & gets into an accident. that way parents will be truly responsible for their offspring. problem is that you need a license for any & every thing but for the most important thing, ie becoming a parent, any dumass can do that.

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/erratica/entry/justice-vs-bloodlust

I don't understand why people like these talk so stupidly. Granted that some of the points she mentioned are very accurate and there a lot of people are acting on blood lust and as she called vengeance, but the fact remains that justice by definition has always been about avenging injustice in a fair manner on equal terms. So why crib about it. I also agree that death sentence is a quick and easy punishment for such criminals, but it is still a good option in the absence of any other decent punishment in the country. They are a sorry excuse of an existence and a waste of precious resources and don't need to exist anymore, so why waste tax payers money to keep them alive and sustain them for life or even worse let them go after some time so they can repeat their actions again. There wouldn't be any worse insult to the very few tax payers in the country that their hard earned money is being used to keep such criminals alive.

There are crimes where regret and redemption are possible and it may even make sense that the such people be given another chance . But this is not one of them. There is no describing the brutal torture that they inflicted on the poor girl and by all means they deserve a similar treatment not just for justice sake, but to set an example to others, and if our law cannot inflict such physical and mental pain on them, the least they can do is to put an end to them quickly.

It's a voice of dissent in the face of noises from people like you intent on short-term remedies. And before you accuse me of that, let me reiterate that I have no empathy towards the perpetrators. I'd so love to watch them suffer as much (if not more) as the girl in question. But, to what end?

I really feel for the parents of that girl when they express satisfaction at the death sentence goaded on by a byte-hungry media and people flush with mob-mentality. At the end of the day, it pains to me imagine their rejection/pain when another rape is committed. What a distraught feeling it must be to know that your daughter suffered and died for nothing. Girls and women like her will continue to suffer from such horrors.

You are right in the sense that I offer no clear-cut solution, but at the same time, I do not agree with the easy route either. There are times/events when society needs to look inwards/introspect for a better future. Dealing with one case at a time (with the harshest punishment possible) will make a nary difference to the larger picture. I'll be honest when I say I have no idea about how we are supposed to go about this introspection!

Also, when you agree with more than half of what the article says, it ceases to be stupid any longer!
It's a difference of opinion!

I am surprised that so many of my fellow commentators consider it barbaric for the criminals to be punished simply because it will not prevent further crimes. That is a stupid argument because by that argument anyone can commit a crime and go scot free because punishing the offender will not prevent any of it in the future. In fact, the reason why crime is so prevalent in India is because it is so easy to get awy with doing the same.
E.g. Take a few examples from developed countries say Singapore. People do not break speed limits because they are aware of the consequences. In Delhi/Gurgaon every moron with 200 bucks in his pocket breaks every single road traffic law and then goes scot free for the 200 bucks in his pocket.
It is very easy to dish out meaningless gyaan which has no meaning other than trying to prove that you are somehow a superior being. Sorry, I will not buy into that. Someday, when I have a child (son or daughter) I would want to stay in a city where they can go out safely without fear of being assaulted.
Civil society of course has to improve for so many crimes are commited by otherwise trusted folks. Yet, that will take a long time, maybe hundreds of years and till we achieve that stage we must continue with a strong system that can provide appropriate justice when necessary.

I am surprised that so many of my fellow commentators consider it barbaric for the criminals to be punished simply because it will not prevent further crimes.
Nonsense. Nowhere above has it been said that criminals shouldn't be punished. It's the mode of punishment that's in question here. This is unless CP is the only form of punishment in your eyes.

That is a stupid argument because by that argument anyone can commit a crime and go scot free because punishing the offender will not prevent any of it in the future.

It doesn't matter if I took time to understand and debate with civility your viewpoint or not; you are stupid!

It is very easy to dish out meaningless gyaan which has no meaning other than trying to prove that you are somehow a superior being.
That exactly was my aim!

Sorry, I will not buy into that.
Don't. You have a right to and I understand that without judgment!

Someday, when I have a child (son or daughter) I would want to stay in a city where they can go out safely without fear of being assaulted.
We all want the same thing.

Civil society of course has to improve for so many crimes are commited by otherwise trusted folks. Yet, that will take a long time, maybe hundreds of years and till we achieve that stage we must continue with a strong system that can provide appropriate justice when necessary.
When and how should that 100s of years old process should start?
It's about bloody time it started.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised that so many of my fellow commentators consider it barbaric for the criminals to be punished simply because it will not prevent further crimes. That is a stupid argument because by that argument anyone can commit a crime and go scot free because punishing the offender will not prevent any of it in the future.

The word "barbaric" is used to only describe the nature and severity of the punishment awarded to the four rapists apart from more violent responses left behind by certain bloodthirsty members. If you are referring to the juvenile then i hope you first realize that never before has such a brutal, violent and socially unacceptable crime of this nature been publicized in the past. By blindly supporting that capital punishment be awarded to a juvenile, you are giving in to your fears because for the first time you are unsure of the future and your mind is racing to rationalize capital punishment without considering all other possible forms of punishment. We live in a civilized society.

@eternoMind This is a forum where we are entitled to our views
You failed to see the sarcasm in my statement.
I fully agree with what you have said here now, wish you had adopted a similar approach when replying to posts above yours that differed to your own views!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems people vying for barbaric punishments needs to introspect themselves. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Rather, let humanity do better acts that nurture humanity and humility.
Agree and support this post, its quite laughable how people here want to drop society to barbaric standards to assuage their misplaced sense of justice. So then if we as a society condone such then what to stop these sorts of crimes from continuing isn't it. Because hey society isn't any better. We just surrendered the high ground for cheap, why ?

I don't support the death penalty ! Death penalty isn't justice its retribution.

To kill a murderer is to produce yet another.

I wanted life imprisonment where the perps do not ever get out. Because they are clearly a threat and cannot be reformed. They cannot be let out into the general public.

The problem is we do not do consecutive life sentences in India. So the only way is the death penalty and its justified using this rr rule, rarest of the rare.

To our credit we limit the death penalty to exceptions, but i'd like to see it gone entirely. Numerous countries around the world have abolished it. This is isn't so radical an idea its in practice already.

Last edited:
@sid_donnydarko

What you're saying may apply to a movie, where the hero seeks revenge against the villain for the crimes that he committed against his family, but spares him in the end. For example, Batman doesn't kill the guy who killed his parents, or anyone for that matter. But when you look at it, the world of Batman is a mess. The Joker keeps escaping jail and keep committing crimes and killing more people. But what does Batman do? He puts him back in jail, and he escapes AGAIN. The Joker never reforms. He is always the same evil guy, having no respect for humanity and committing the basest crimes.

Now, let's talk in practical terms: consider hundreds of thousands of Jokers (rapists), committing rapes left, right and center. Do you think these people will ever reform, especially when there are so many of them? Rape is such a base crime for someone to commit, that there is no chance for a rapist to ever reform, and he will keep committing such crimes every chance he gets. It doesn't matter if it was because the rapist had a harsh childhood. It doesn't matter if the Joker had a harsh childhood. You aren't going to change that person. He is who he is, and he will never change. He's going to keep committing crimes.

Now, there is no need for barbarism either. The simplest and most practical solution would be to dispose of that person with a painless death sentence. The rapist will finally be free of his sins, and there will be no more sins committed. No more people will be subject to his crimes. It's best for everyone.

Important bits from that article.

The five boys aged between 12 to 16 years, who are her neighbours and play together, called her outside her house and then gang-raped her, according to the FIR filed by the mother at Basistha police station.

On her mother’s return from work the girl told her about the incident and she was immediately taken to the police station where the complaint was filed, the sources said.

All the five boys have been taken into custody and will be produced in the Juvenile Court in Guwahati on Wednesday, police said, adding, the girl after medical examination was now in the state home for women for her rehabilitation.

Let us know how it turns out.

This rape plague is some how vaguely reminding of Dancing mania:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania
This points to some medical problem, not sure that's what we're seeing here.

This is pointing to some deep issues within the society which need a root cause analysis and rigid treatment.
Yes, women are considered as liabilities instead of assets in some sections of our society.

Are we ready to accept and address this.

Will take time. Until then, increased publicity & securing convictions is moving in the positive direction.

Where have India's females gone?

Last edited:
This rape plague is some how vaguely reminding of Dancing mania:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

This is pointing to some deep issues within the society which need a root cause analysis and rigid treatment.

This points to some medical problem, not sure that's what we're seeing here.

Yes, women are considered as liabilities instead of assets in some sections of our society.

Are we ready to accept and address this.

Will take time. Until then, increased publicity & securing convictions is moving in the positive direction.

Where have India's females gone?

Is it so surprising? What more can you expect from a society that been trying to infuse only the best parts of western culture into its own without understanding that with the good comes the bad. And now that its too late, what do we go and do? Unable to cope with the rapid changes in our society and trapped by our own paranoia, we destroy ourselves from within by trying to wipe out all traces of western influences like an animal scared of its own shadow.

Where do the women stand in the midst of all of that's happening? At a edge of a very tall cliff over jagged rocks i must say. There was no turning back the moment we allow ourselves to be influenced by western culture, its media and its sciences. Caught between extremities of a shamefully contradictory culture (the same complicated by remaining in complete denial too) they are forced to cautiously tread a thin line failing which results in extremely unfair and inhuman judgements. Although women in general have always been seen as the epitome of good virtues, faithfulness and genuine piety, our culture has always expected more from them compared to the rest. Late exposure to western culture further compounded by the fact that women in the west were slowly awarded equal rights over a period of a few centuries while per-independent India was ignorant of this has largely contributed to why we've failed as a society to understand the meaning and importance of women's right in a short time post independence. But is this a good enough excuse to justify our current predicament? No. Imagine you're in a prison and then someone decides to set you free only to have you framed for escape the moment you step outside. This is exactly what's happening to "free" women in our country. You cannot blame any human for making mistakes when exercising freedom based on western principles and simultaneously balancing Indian values at the same time. Indian women have been pushed to such great extremes that they're now fighting back baring sharp teeth which has disappointed me because i've always expected better character from women under duress than us men.

Last edited:
^^
What do you expect Indian women to do..?

Fighting violence with violence is not helpful. Instead choose to educate and more importantly spread awareness about equal rights. Appeal in a constructive and productive fashion to the rest of the world so that fair and objective laws protecting their rights are instituted, enforced and improved with time.

Today, women in our country believe that women empowerment is to the overpower Indian woman. This is wrong and moreover will not sit well with the average Indian male ego because ultimately we men are the stronger-fragile-ego-driven sex capable of retaliating with tenfold the violence women can. Remember, Jayalalithaa, Mayawati, Mamta Banerjee and Sonia Gandhi won't be around forever. I highly doubt if they've found a female successor who can handle male government sycophants and when they're no longer in the picture god knows the backlash Indian women will face.

Last edited:
The problem is just not with females, it's the male mentality. That's the real problem. Blaming it on the female population, their education and politicians does not give males a license to run away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back